Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Kent Regiment (Buffs).

chasray

Hello,

My Grandfather served in the Buffs during the 1st World War...

His name was Harry Henry Bennett.

His service number was L/12124...

Based on that information, could anyone tell me what year he joined up... ?

Thankyou...

His medal record shows he served first with 1 Royal Sussex with the number L/9518  The army Service Numbers blogspot has:

9413 joined on 7th July 1910
9556 joined on 2nd January 1911

MaxD

Hi MaxD,

He transferred to the Buffs at a later date and was given the service number L/12124... It is the date when he transferred to the Buffs i am trying to find... 

Thanks...

The letters and numbers under "Roll" are the East Kent medal award rolls on which his medal entilement appear.  Page 3c of the first roll had a Victory Medal only.  It then seems he returned the medal and claimed a British War medal which is on page 32 so he now has his pair.  Hs 1914/1915 Star is on page 122 of another roll.  The notations on the right are administrative references and can be ignored.

He entered a theatre of war on 17 August 1915 to the asiatic theatre  - 5 g is listed here Medal roll theatre codes – The Long, Long Trail (longlongtrail.co.uk) but is something I have not encountered before.  Smeone more switched on that I will no doubt assist.

The address and date of 1924 suggests he was still serving post war?

MaxD

Thanks MaxD,

I was getting confused as to 5G.

He was in the 1st Battalion of the West Sussex Regiment serving in India when the war started at Rawlpindi... That would be the 5G.

At some stage he came back home and transferred to the Buffs. I am hoping his Buffs service number will tell me when that was...  

His Star was dated as 17/8/15...

If his transfer to the Buffs ties up with that date it would answer a lot of questions...

I believe the 1st Buffs were then in France at that time...

I also know he served in Ireland in 1920 in Fermoy and i believe that was the 1st Buffs as well....

Thanks for your help..

John.

32 minutes ago, chasray said:

At some stage he came back home and transferred to the Buffs. I am hoping his Buffs service number will tell me when that was...  

I think that L/12124 was a number issued in March 1919, ie after the war ended in Europe.

edit and as you say was with 1st Buffs in Fermoy

Edited by charlie962

Thankyou Charlie.. 

If that was the case he would have transferred from the 1st West Sussex in India to another West Sussex battalion in France to get his Star in 1915.

Then on to the Buffs in 1919...

Thanks..

5 minutes ago, chasray said:

If that was the case he would have transferred from the 1st West Sussex in India to another West Sussex battalion in France to get his Star in 1915.

No.     G = Hafiz which is Frontier India. Have a look at this old thread.

edit

This extract by @SteveE gives useful dates:

5 was Asiatic Theatre including operations:

(g) Near Hafiz Kor, within the area bounded on the south by the left bank of the Kabul river, and on the east by a line from Adozai to Tangi, both places included, under the command of Major-General C. F. G. Young, from 14th to 19th April, 1915, and under the command of Major-General F. Campbell, c.b., d.s.o., between 29th August, 1915 and 10th October, 1915, all dates inclusive.

Edited by charlie962

Have a look at svc record for Harris L/9507 who served 1st Sussex in India and has same theatre entry date for 5G. Joined on a 7/5 basis in October 1910 and went to India Jan 1912 where he remained until he sadly died 1919.

Hi Charlie,

I checked William Harris out on the Royal Sussex 1914/15 star rolls and found him straight away...

I could not find Harry Henry Bennett on the same rolls...

Am i missing something?

John

Edited by chasray

Hi MaxD,

Thankyou for that Max...

When it says disembarkation 17/8/1915 (5G 2 & 4) is that disembarkation from India to Uk on that date..?

I also found a Buffs medal card which said from 2 Battalion Royal Sussex regiment..

Could this mean he transferred from the 1st Royal Sussex (who were in India) to the 2nd Royal Sussex who were in France on that date... then later in 1919 joined the Buffs?

I read that as being the date he entered the 5 G theatre of war, inhis case from a garrison in Indai to the Hafiz theatre  The date applies to the first entry so we don't have a date for when he went to France.

MaxD

Hi MaxD,

One of the medal record cards said 1st Battalion Royal Sussex and another medal record card said 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex so he had time with the 1st in India and i assume the 2nd (from his medal card) in France where they were based.... That's my take on things but i am open to any suggestions and advice...  Thanks Max for your help. It is appreciated...