Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KSLI Indian Service

Babs48

My grandfather served in the Andaman Islands and Burma during WW1. The only regiment I can find who served there was KSLI. He came from London. Would I be correct in thinking soldiers were enlisted where needed? How can I find records as I've hit a brick wall? 

Respect 20519 Private L. S. CRIPPIN. 

Yes Babs, soldiers were sent wherever needed without necessarily any close correlation between their hometown and unit after the military service act was introduced in 1916.

14 minutes ago, Babs48 said:

My grandfather served in the Andaman Islands and Burma during WW1. The only regiment I can find who served there was KSLI. He came from London. Would I be correct in thinking soldiers were enlisted where needed? How can I find records as I've hit a brick wall? 

Are you aware that he enlisted on 12 January 1915 and was discharged on 31 January 1917. He was discharged on medical grounds and received a Silver War Badge (21110) which was issued on 10 February 1917

Welcome Babs.

Lester Crippin, 20519, is shown on his Medal Index Card as R Welsh Fusiliers. Born 1895,  Died 1921

Where did you get the number 20519?

Articles for background information.

DEG Quelch, far from Flanders He was in the 18th (London) Battalion of the Rifle Brigade, based at Table Island, where there was a wireless station, near the Cocos Islands.  Includes the words "Companies of my battalion are at Rangoon and at the Andamans"

The Diary of Sergeant Ben Nicholas 1914 to 1917. 4th (Service Battalion) Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. "A record of his exploits in India, Burma, Singapore and Malaysia during World War One". Includes the 1915 Singapore Mutiny.

https://wulfrunianinlondon.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/the-diary-of-ben-nicholas-1915-to-19174.pdf

Maureen

59 minutes ago, Babs48 said:

20519 Lester Stuart Crippin did not come from London but from Atherton, Lancashire ?

Sorry, LSCrippin was remembered on the day of my enquiry. Nothing to do with me. Just showing my respects. My grandfather was Albert Allen.  

I still ask, was KSLI the only regiment to serve in Andaman Islands and Burma during WW1? I would appreciate any info. 

Hello Maureen, Have just read that interesting diary. I knew from my investigations that the battalions were split, some, of which my g/father was one, going to the Andaman and Burma, some to India itself. I have a pic which is identical to the diary one, except for the background, taken in Rangoon. Also a photo sent by my g/mother to Rangoon. I was shocked to find, from the records at Kew, that they were sent straight to the western front from India, without home leave. 

On 26/07/2021 at 13:07, Allan1892 said:

Are you aware that he enlisted on 12 January 1915 and was discharged on 31 January 1917. He was discharged on medical grounds and received a Silver War Badge (21110) which was issued on 10 February 1917

Hi. Allan 1892.  Not aware of this. Was this my G/father, Albert Allen? I thought he served longer than that, but would really be interested in your source. Most grateful. Babs48 

On 28/07/2021 at 13:05, Swinesheadvillage said:

Hi Babs

A belated welcome to the forum

From the LLT website, the 2/4th SLI were also in the Andaman Islands from August 1915 to Jan 1916.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/prince-alberts-somerset-light-infantry/

Kind Regards

Derek

Hello Derek. Thank you. From this I think maybe he was 2/4th rather than 1/4th, as I had deduced. It is so difficult to be sure, since I am working on a mix of memories of childhood conversations and sparse Internet access. The KSLI museum, whom I phoned, obviously don't possess individual records. 

Hi Babs

Do you have an army number for Albert Allen? Any personal information  on Albert (Mother father, wife children etc) you can give may help to track him down.

Kind Regards

Derek

On 27/07/2021 at 21:32, Babs48 said:

Sorry, LSCrippin was remembered on the day of my enquiry. Nothing to do with me. Just showing my respects. My grandfather was Albert Allen.  

I still ask, was KSLI the only regiment to serve in Andaman Islands and Burma during WW1? I would appreciate any info. 

2 hours ago, Babs48 said:

Hi. Allan 1892.  Not aware of this. Was this my G/father, Albert Allen? I thought he served longer than that, but would really be interested in your source. Most grateful. Babs48 

Hi Babs48 -- like others, as you did not give any other name in your original post, I assumed that you were looking for L S Crippen 20519 - the info that I posted was in relation to L S Crippen. Sorry for the confusion.

Allan

On 30/07/2021 at 13:14, Swinesheadvillage said:

Hi Babs

Do you have an army number for Albert Allen? Any personal information  on Albert (Mother father, wife children etc) you can give may help to track him down.

Kind Regards

Derek

Hi Derek

No number. The "jungle" photo is too far away, but they are posed in front of a YWCA hut! Albert (possibly James as second name, but not sure about that) Allen was the son of James Allen/Elizabeth (Howe) and had 8 siblings. He was a Carver/Gilder of picture frames and Fine Art Packer. Not over helpful in military terms. He came from St Giles in London, but I think when he enlisted, he lived in Mitcham, Surrey, with wife Ellen Francis (Reid) and son Albert James (my father) Not very imaginative in naming offspring in those days! He was born around 1884ish. 

I also have a photo, which I think shows a brother, at an encampment, presumably WW1, which I would love to identify. How do I ascertain the regiment? Would need an expert as badges etc are partly obscured. Any advice with that would be greatly appreciated too. 

Regards, Barbara. 

On 30/07/2021 at 14:29, Allan1892 said:

Hi Babs48 -- like others, as you did not give any other name in your original post, I assumed that you were looking for L S Crippen 20519 - the info that I posted was in relation to L S Crippen. Sorry for the confusion.

Allan

Hi Allan 1892.

Sorry to confuse everyone. There is a Remembrance each day at the top of this page. I, like everybody else, have the greatest respect for these heroes and show mine when I can. 

On 28/07/2021 at 14:05, Swinesheadvillage said:

From the LLT website, the 2/4th SLI were also in the Andaman Islands from August 1915 to Jan 1916.

This letter in Central Somerset Gazette of 6/8/15 is courtesy FindmyPast Newspapers:

1436359068_GWFAndamanSLILetter.JPG.917c2c6f8e7da929ef18df46daf1ff59.JPG

Ernest Harry Vining's MIC doesn't show a 14/15 Star entitlement

Edited by charlie962

Interestingly a Detachment of the 2/4th Somerset LI seems to have gone to the Andamans to relieve KSLI in May 1915. Again courtesy FindmyPast Bath Chronicle 15/5/1915.

1973192457_GWFAndamanSLIMay1915.JPG.cca8a952ab9fb483c94173e9242d64b2.JPG

Hi Charlie962

Oh heck, I am getting more confused. Having thought I had narrowed down the regiment my g/father served with, there now appear to be more than one who served in the Andaman Islands. Thanks for the additional, interesting post. Maybe I should track them to Burma, either before or after Andaman. 

Hi Babs

In the medal roll index cards of the Shropshire Light Infantry there are 43 with a surname of Allen, none with a forename starting with A. In the Medal Rolls there is an Albert Edward Allen, L/10103. This is unlikely to be your ancestor. 

In the medal index cards of the Somerset LI, none of the 78 have a forename starting with A. In the medal rolls there is an A Allen, 9029, who died of gas poisoning 9/8/16. There is also an AWJ Allen, 15048, discharged Feb 1918. There is also a Lieutenant AD Allen. In addition to these three there are two Bert Allens, 17536 and 32123. 

Finally there is an AA Allen 206245 Bedfordshire Regiment previously 4th Somerset LI. 

I cant link to the family details you have given, but hopefully this gives some names and numbers to go on.

With regards to the other brother, reading other queries, the consensus view seems to be to start a new post.

Kind Regards

Derek

On 03/08/2021 at 14:50, Babs48 said:

Albert (possibly James as second name, but not sure about that) Allen was the son of James Allen/Elizabeth (Howe) and had 8 siblings. He was a Carver/Gilder of picture frames and Fine Art Packer. Not over helpful in military terms. He came from St Giles in London, but I think when he enlisted, he lived in Mitcham, Surrey, with wife Ellen Francis (Reid) and son Albert James (my father) Not very imaginative in naming offspring in those days! He was born around 1884ish. 

Can I suggest that in 1939 he is the man on the 1939 Register for Wandsworth-190 Sellincourt Rd, Tooting, born 16/6/1882, Moulding Preparer Picture Framer, living with Ellen, born 23/10/1883. He was an ARP Warden for Wandsworth DC.  These birth dates match the 1911 Census for Albert, Ellen (and Albert James) living at 50,Pitcairn Rd, Mitcham.

Q3 1907 Registration of a marriage Albert Allen to Ellen Reid, St Giles. Again this matches same 1911 Census details.

What do you think?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962
mixing allens and albert !

Hi Charlie962. 

Spot on. My big problem is no computer access at home. Can use my phone, as now, when I pick up WiFi at my daughters' homes. Will try the 1939 register now you've reminded me. Would still like to know more about his war service. Thank you so much for your interest. 

..and just to confuse you further, I note that 18th (London) Battalion of the Rifle Brigade landed in the Andamans early 1916! There will also be attachments of men from one unit to another. Anyway this unit looks a bit closer to home.

Here for Ref is a page of Medal Roll from Ancestry showing they were only entitled to British War Medal. It is Charles Brind who I picked up on, as he had a letter published describing his time. You could always try scrolling back and forth from this page but I did not readily spot an Albert Allen.

1568149774_GWFAndaman18RBsampleMedalRoll.JPG.6af01d7fe67a5275b40c352c20a9bc6c.JPG