Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucestershire Regiment WW1 unknown badge

Terry Carter

There appears to be writing on it, but I cannot make out what it says.  Perhaps someone who has the ability to create a reverse negative of the photo could help as that sometimes reveals the detail.  The location of the badge suggests that it might be a secondary battalion title such as some  war raised ‘Pals’ (service battalions) had, but that is just a guess.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Could it be Bristols Own? 

29 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Could it be Bristols Own? 

That’s the sort of thing that I had in mind Michelle, but so far I can’t find any evidence of that unit wearing such a badge: https://bristol-cathedral.co.uk/images/uploads/family_history_guide.pdf

• Admin

This photo is of a 10th Btn man. There is a MIC for George Watts, 12439 who arrived in France 9/8/15 which fits with the 10th, and there are 10th men with numbers beginning with 12***. (Photo taken from In The Shadow Of Lone Tree)

596DDC95-69A1-46B4-9A52-7569003039E9.jpeg

Brilliant Michelle!  I’m convinced that’s it.  Superb spot.  10th (Service) Battalion the Gloucestershire Regiment then:

From LLT

Formed at Bristol in September 1914 as part of K3 and attached as Army Troops to 26th Division. Moved to Salisbury Plain but by November 1914 was in billets in Cheltenham. Returned to Salisbury Plain in April 1915.
Landed in France 8 August 1915.
17 August 1915 : transferred to 1st Brigade in 1st Division.
14 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Where was George from Terry? 

Here’s another photo, this time of a 10th Glosters group at Sutton Veny camp on Salisbury Plain, and the badge can be seen above the sergeant’s stripes. These particular types of badges (they are not battle patches but titles) were usually worn by the forming members of some pals battalions, but rarely maintained, and as new drafts arrived they often fell into abeyance.  At the time they were a recruitment feature and mark of belonging to a unit at the time it was first raised, especially when the procurement of uniform was haphazard.

15C26790-D6B7-45F2-BF13-72267FD4F312.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Another Sutton Veny 10th photo again from my friend Nicks book, you can see the strip of material clearly on the Sergeant.

F8309506-7555-43FB-ADFE-C99253BC2E84.jpeg

Excellent, yes clearly Sutton Veny camp again.  I imagine that @Moonrakermight find this interesting.

It’s interesting that both sergeants have the cloth title on their left arm, but our thread subject on the right arm.  I suspect that just one title was issued to each of the originals and NCOs were told to wear theirs on the opposing arm as a distinction.  Perhaps @poona guardwill be interested in this, as it seems a detail that has been lost.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

So fits in with the 10th as well. 

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

So fits in with the 10th as well. 

Yes I imagine that he might have joined them in Cheltenham leading up to November 1914, when they went into Winter billets.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

My friend Nick has confirmed from his database that George was definitely 10th.