Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maj AT Goldie Gardner MC, shot down Aug 1917

Johnnym

Hello all,
I really hope someone can help me. I'm researching the life of Maj AT Goldie Gardner MC, an officer in 72 Bde RFA (possibly later 121 Brigade) who was seriously injured when the aircraft in which he was observing was shot down in August 1917. He went on to be a famous racing driver and speed record holder.

I'm fascinated because he seems to have been far too senior to be in the back of what I presume was an R.E.8. He had been a battery commander since 1915 and had even commanded his 72 Bde when his commanding officer was absent. The war diary of 72 Bde lists him until Feb 1917 but nothing after that, and I can't find him in 121 Bde, despite his medal roll mentioning that unit. I have looked through various records of different RFC squadrons, but can't find any reports of his crash. I believe it could have been in Belgium, although I'm not sure.

I've searched all the various online resources, with no luck. If anyone has any other mention of him or could shed light on his crash, I'd be extremely grateful. Thank you!

The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu hold his archive (35.5 boxes in total), may be worth checking there.

His book 'Magic M.P.H', may reveal more about his service record, or this incident.  Thought I had a copy, but unable to find.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

I've already been through the wonderful collection at Beaulieu and have his book, in which he covers the Great War in just two sentences! Unfortunately there was not much in the Beaulieu archive from this time other than a few posed photographs.

12 hours ago, Johnnym said:

I've already been through the wonderful collection at Beaulieu and have his book, in which he covers the Great War in just two sentences! Unfortunately there was not much in the Beaulieu archive from this time other than a few posed photographs.

Johnny,

Was a little remiss, should have said welcome to The Forum.

Have had a look through a few books and articles, unable to find anything to add.

He left the army in 1922 as a Major, driving his first race at Brooklands in 1924 in an Austin Seven, sure you know this.  He is often referred to as Lt.Colonel (WW2).

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

I wish I could remember where I read this, but as I understand it, his aircraft was shot down over enemy territory and he had to craw back several miles to his own side of the line - with a broken hip.
Started his military career with the HAC, thence with the Ceylon Mounted Infantry, then on to Burma, before returning to join-in the war on the Western Front. 
MB

Edited by KizmeRD

I have Trevor Henshaw's book "The Sky Their Battlefield - Complete list of Allied Air Casualties from enemy action in WW1" and there is no Maj AT Goldie Gardner mentioned, or anyone near that name (diff spellings of Gardner checked).

I have also now reviewed RFC casualty book information, and disappointingly,  l couldn’t find any mention of Major Goldie Gardner being involved in an air accident whilst flying as an observer - but I do hope that some collaborative evidence will emerge which supports the story. 
MB

Edited by KizmeRD

On 26/07/2021 at 18:47, KizmeRD said:

I wish I could remember where I read this, but as I understand it, his aircraft was shot down over enemy territory and he had to craw back several miles to his own side of the line - with a broken hip.
Started his military career with the HAC, thence with the Ceylon Mounted Infantry, then on to Burma, before returning to join-in the war on the Western Front. 
MB

Hi KizmeRD, I've also heard the story that it was behind enemy lines and he had to crawl back, but I can't find the source. I know he was working as a tea trader in Ceylon then on a rubber plantation in Burma, but didn't know about the Ceylon Mounted Infantry or HAC. Can I ask the source of this please?

20 hours ago, Smithy26 said:

I have Trevor Henshaw's book "The Sky Their Battlefield - Complete list of Allied Air Casualties from enemy action in WW1" and there is no Maj AT Goldie Gardner mentioned, or anyone near that name (diff spellings of Gardner checked).

This is brilliant, thank you. He often went under the name A.T.G. Gardner. I suspect that he shouldn't have been there. He was very senior, a Major who had stood in as commander of his Brigade when his Commanding Officer was away. Knowing the sort of person he was, I suspect he persuaded someone to take him up. I have nothing to base that on yet, but I'm speaking to a family member soon.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi

There are a couple of entries in the Medical records available on FindmyPast which show him at Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital, Millbank from 26th August 1917 to 7th November 1917. If you have a subscription you should be able to view them via these links.  Steve

British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records Image | findmypast.co.uk

British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records Image | findmypast.co.uk

Edited by hmsk212

3 hours ago, Johnnym said:

I know he was working as a tea trader in Ceylon then on a rubber plantation in Burma, but didn't know about the Ceylon Mounted Infantry or HAC. Can I ask the source of this please?

https://morrisregister.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MO1939_07sw.pdf

Morris Owners Club magazine July 1939, page 468.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

A possible match in 1909 to the Honorable Artillery Company?

https://search.findmypast.com/record?id=GBM%2FHAC%2FREG-ADM-1794-1910%2F0319&parentid=GBM%2FHAC%2FREGADM%2F5871

You can look up Hart's lists on the National Library of Scotland website for free but it might take a bit of rummaging to find an eventual match, e.g. potential abbreviation such as Alfd Thos etc etc.

I believe that Goldie Gardiner was only a Trooper during his time in the HAC and in. the Ceylon Mounted Rifles - these were both volunteer units. He didn’t take a commission until joining RFA in 1914, so I wouldn’t have thought that Hart’s would list him prior to then.

MB

9 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

I believe that Goldie Gardiner was only a Trooper during his time in the HAC and in. the Ceylon Mounted Rifles - these were both volunteer units. He didn’t take a commission until joining RFA in 1914, so I wouldn’t have thought that Hart’s would list him prior to then.

MB

I think you're right.

I've just dusted off some information on an RAF chap with prior service in a similar unit, the Ceylon Planters' Corps. (See below).

The RAF enquire with the War Office as to what service Ronald St Clair McClintock had in Ceylon would count towards retired pay. The answer was 'none'. (Both images copyright TNA, and are from WO 374/43682). 

However, I've seen material in respect of other militias and volunteer units in which there's been some acknowledgement of service, e.g. a Hong Kong unit springs to mind but it'd take quite a rummage to find it.

1398918086_Kew3794.JPG.4c552d1ca8dfce766a2cf1c209716408.JPG

And

502891848_Kew3787.JPG.adf7f4684c969c9697f2e75c36ba2e6f.JPG

• 2 years later...

Just published and getting good reviews, 'Goldie' by John Mayhead (who I suspect was the originator of this thread).  Covers in great detail the life and times of Goldie Gardner, including his service in WW1.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just bought this book, having read a review in Octane magazine, which seems to indicate that ATG Gardner's WW1 period was a concoction. Surely not?

I'll await its arrival and see how it looks, but I assume he'd have had a War Office file which would have indicated his date of injury (or elsewhere), which would have been the missing date link to the (RE.8?) loss.

Did this ever get any further?