Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could anyone help me identify the medals on this ribbon bar

Kurtbio

I am writing a biography of Dr Kurt von Holleben (1894-1947) who served in the Saxon Army 1st Field Artillery Regiment No. 12  from 1916 to 1918.

Here are a series of images of his medal ribbon taken from various photographs of him in his WW2 uniforms (he was drafted from the reserve - first a Flak Regiment then later he was a Luftwaffe Major in the Air Ministry in Berlin)

The first one is an Iron Cross - 2nd class I think (the regimental history lists 1st Class holders individually and says other were given 2nd Class)

The others I am not sure about the others except that the cross swords are military awards.

In the last of the three images he has an extra ribbon - a WW2 general service medal?

I know it's a difficult task without color.

Thank You

Colin Axon

kurt2.jpg

Again I think that @The Prussianand @GreyCmight be able to help, or know someone who can.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ok, not easy with these "quality-pictures" and I might be guessing a bit:

1) EKII, Albrechtsorden mit Schwertern 2. Klasse, Deutsches Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (?), Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer. Instead of DSE some Saxon or Bavarian medal or from a smaller state is well possible. Saxon medals in green/white, Bavarian in blue which comes across lighter in older photographs.

2) Same, but EKII without EK on bar in 1st place. Saxons liked to wear the version with the iron cross on it. The more usual (Prussian) way was the bar without the cross, but Prussians did wear this variant, too (see attached photo).

3) as above + Die Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938 (Sudentenmedaille)

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen for merits gained for helping build the Westwall. Sudetenmedaille for participation in annexing the Sudetenland.

I am quite sure about the Sudetenmedaille, less so about the Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen, both for actions after 1935.

GreyC

30732193_x12_IRFeldgrauvereinfachterFeldrockEKIIBandmitEisernemKreuzSteckerATSchmidtFrankfurtOder.jpg.ddd6b4ad8a646d969b4a940ba29038e2.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Thank you GreyC - Unfortunately all his military service records were lost in WW2 and I have to rely on the FAR12 Regimental History of WW1 for information, which is good, but I have no information on how or why he has these medals. The ribbon is a very small size on the scans I have but I have had another go - the image of the actual medals themselves is I am sure is a photograph of him in an Artillery dress uniform - though the ribbons do look a bit different - maybe they are just folded over a bit, confusing the stripes. He was in the Imperial Volunteer Automobile Corps 1914 to 1916 then the Saxon Army 1st Field Artillery Regiment No. 12  from 1916 to 1918. For his service in the Artillery it was almost all in France around St. Quentin area.

kurt4.jpg

The unknown medal between IC2 and AO (on the bar during WW1) and between AO and Frontkämpfer-Ehrenkreuz (bars WW2) should be a Saxon service medal (Dienstauszeichnung) IMHO.

Jan

Hi jan,

that would make a lot of sense. It would complete and make a purely WW1 medal bar. I was looking for a Saxon award to match the photo and you seem to have found it. Well done!

GreyC