Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Michael Joseph Cassidy - (1) RN (2) RAMC [Militia] (3) Royal Irish Fusiliers (4) RFC & (5) RAF

Cassidy Medals

Hi to all... I trust this post finds you safe and well.

Having just purchased medals to the above gentleman, [yet to be received] researching his life and colourful service career is well underway. Unfortunately it appears that his WW1 Service Documents with the Royal Irish Fusiliers did not survive.

Looking at adjacent service records I can see that the majority of the soldiers who joined the RFC in March 1916 were previously WIA.

9613 CPL M. Cassidy 2 BN, Royal Irish Fusiliers, is listed as being hospitalised from 06-15 January 1915 with Rheumatic Fever, then he returned to duty. 

I haven't been able to find any other records indicating Cassidy was WIA during 1915. 

Does anyone have anything on this man [pertaining to being wounded in 1915] that they would be kind enough to share?

I looked for Regimental Gazettes but did not find any.... Are they available on-line??

Would the Regimental Museum's RIF, RAF have any photos??.......... Cassidy served from 1905-1931.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Gaz

53 minutes ago, Cassidy Medals said:

Cassidy served from 1905-1931

This would make him born before 1901 and serving after 1921 - might his service records perhaps be still retained by the MoD and thus perhaps accessible after a [very] long wait???

Can another member of GWF perhaps advise if his name & number is on the incomplete list so far released? 

Only way to be truly sure is to make an application. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

His MIC also shows a RAF no. of 26233

???
:-) M

Edit:  You might be interested that his name & RAF number turns up on an Absent Voters' List

1419083504_CASSIDYMJ.26233.png.0ba40af3d1b050339573b2509dca7a3b.png

Image courtesy of Find My Past

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Gaz

Do you have his birthdate by any chance before I follow a random Irishman?

George

Going by his service number 9613 (and this linked blog) Michael joined the RIF in 1907: https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2011/02/royal-irish-fusiliers-1st-2nd.html 

If he was with the 2nd Bn. he would have serviced in India up until 1914. His MIC shows that he entered France on 19 Dec 1914, the same date as the 2nd battalion RIF: https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/303/royal-irish-fusiliers/ Was his 1915 star issued as RFC? (Ancestry image)

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 08.36.26.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

10 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

This would make him born before 1901 and serving after 1921 - might his service records perhaps be still retained by the MoD and thus perhaps accessible after a [very] long wait???

Can another member of GWF perhaps advise if his name & number is on the incomplete list so far released? 

Only way to be truly sure is to make an application. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

His MIC also shows a RAF no. of 26233

???
:-) M

Edit:  You might be interested that his name & RAF number turns up on an Absent Voters' List

1419083504_CASSIDYMJ.26233.png.0ba40af3d1b050339573b2509dca7a3b.png

Image courtesy of Find My Past

Thanks Matlock 1418....... Not sure where you found the Absent Voters List .... I haven't seen one before.......what an awesome document...... Thanks for sharing.

Given your tip.... I agree....perhaps his service record is existent.......... I wrote to the MOD re another Cassidy who was born pre 1900 and served after 1921....... I wrote in March 2020 and haven't heard anything since. I understand that establishments may be closed due to Corona Virus....so the wait continues.

Gaz   

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

Gaz

Do you have his birthdate by any chance before I follow a random Irishman?

George

Hi George

Date of birth is 25 Feb 1886, Born at Cork, Ireland.

I have a copy of his Birth Extract, His parents Marriage, 1901 and 1911 Census, date of his wedding to Annie Charlotte Mills and date of death. 01 Mar 1933. 

I also have copies of his his RN & RAMC [Militia] Service Records, WW1 Medal Rolls, 1918 RAF Muster Roll, RAF Discharge Docs,   

Cassidy was awarded a 1914-15 Star Trio  with Royal Irish Fusiliers, Indian General Service Medal Clasp Waziristan 1919-21 with 20 Sqn? and a RAF LS&GC Medal in 1930. Cassidy discharged Dec 1930 - Jan 1931.

Cheers

Gaz

1 hour ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Going by his service number 9613 (and this linked blog) Michael joined the RIF in 1907: https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2011/02/royal-irish-fusiliers-1st-2nd.html 

If he was with the 2nd Bn. he would have serviced in India up until 1914. His MIC shows that he entered France on 19 Dec 1914, the same date as the 2nd battalion RIF: https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/303/royal-irish-fusiliers/ Was his 1915 star issued as RFC? (Ancestry image)

Hi Ivor

Yes you are correct Cassidy enlisted on 21 Jan 1907. Looking at adjacent Service Records it appears that he initially enlisted for 7 Years with the Colours and 5 Years in the Reserves. But I believe that this was later changed to 12 Years with the Colours. 

Cassidy is listed in the 1911 Census as being in India with D Coy 2nd BN. R.I.F. at Quetta Baluchistan, India. [His age and year of birth are incorrect.] 

I have down-loaded the 2nd BN, War Diary for 1915 from UK National Archives....have only read the first couple of pages..... I just love the power of the internet .... how it can provide so much information.....and enjoyment.  

I don't have the medals yet.....but according to the auction catalogue Cassidy's 1914-15 Star is impressed:  9613  L. SGT  M.J. Cassidy R. Ir Fus.

Cheers

Gaz

Photo of D Coy, 2nd Bn. R.I.F. taken in Ferozepore, Punjab, India in 1908. From photo-book in my possession. He may be in the photo: 

DSC_0426.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gaz,

Nice group, I had done some research on Michael Cassidy as he was an ex Faugh, attached are the announcements of his retirement and death from the Uxbridge and West Drayton Gazette, I did search the Regimental Gazettes but could find a named photograph of him.

Andy

1860044563_UxbridgeGazette9January1931.jpg.8703d446bf5319dde95b59e7636c1284.jpg2109014442_UxbridgeGazette3March1933.jpg.67d38dc2b90b0496ca57797c5356049f.jpg1919463244_UxbridgeGazette3rdMarch1933a.jpg.78736e7246657a86b79e52d9e5956c99.jpg

On 23/07/2021 at 19:17, Ivor Anderson said:

Photo of D Coy, 2nd Bn. R.I.F. taken in Ferozepore, Punjab, India in 1908. From photo-book in my possession. He may be in the photo: 

DSC_0426.jpg

Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

On 02/08/2021 at 22:09, Andy Shaw said:

Hi Gaz,

Nice group, I had done some research on Michael Cassidy as he was an ex Faugh, attached are the announcements of his retirement and death from the Uxbridge and West Drayton Gazette, I did search the Regimental Gazettes but could find a named photograph of him.

Andy

Wow....nice newspaper cuttings Andy.....thanks sooo much.... please forgive my ignorance......what is an ex Faugh??

Faughs is the name given to soldiers who served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers, after their battle cry “Faugh A Ballagh”  which translates to “Clear the Way” 

On 23/07/2021 at 10:47, Ivor Anderson said:

DSC_0426.jpg

Missed this super photo earlier.  The company commander and his 2IC are seated centrally in the second row (with two braces on their Sam Browne belts and feather hackles) and adjacent right as we look (with sword and no horsehair plume), is the battalion’s Staff Armourer Sergeant AOC (his badge of hammer and pincers visible above stripes, but below crown).  On the opposite side of the two officers is the Company Colour Sergeant who very much looks the part of a man not to be trifled with.  There are at least two Boy entrants seated on the floor cross legged, as was so often their traditional position.  It’s intriguing that most of the drummers are holding their flutes in addition to bugles.  Thank you for posting this interesting image.

NB.  It’s an interesting point of dress etiquette that as well as the officers all sergeants and above are wearing cut feather hackles in their Wolseley helmets, but the rank and file all have horsehair plumes.

Edited by FROGSMILE