Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hms crescent 1917 to 1918

AgentAlf

Does anyone have access to the logs of HMS Crescent for 1917 to 1918?

My Gt Grandad served as newly promoted, from the ranks, as a Warrant Telegraphist and was awarded DSM in 1917 for action against enemy, sited in Gazette.  I just can’t find out what they got up to and would love to discover reason for citation. 

My great grandfather served on HMS K2 from March to July 1917 as a PO Telegraphist. He was awarded DSM in 1917 for action against enemy, as sited in the Gazette. 

I would like to find out why he was given the DSM. 

does anyone have any log information that might state a reason?

from the earlier logs I have found seems they did lots of painting and practicing, but no action. 

1 hour ago, AgentAlf said:

My great grandfather served on HMS K2 from March to July 1917 as a PO Telegraphist. He was awarded DSM in 1917 for action against enemy, as sited in the Gazette. 

I would like to find out why he was given the DSM. 

does anyone have any log information that might state a reason?

from the earlier logs I have found seems they did lots of painting and practicing, but no action. 

CC France Medals.jpg

Internet Image 2.jpg

2 hours ago, AgentAlf said:

My Gt Grandad served as newly promoted, from the ranks, as a Warrant Telegraphist and was awarded DSM in 1917 for action against enemy, sited in Gazette.  I just can’t find out what they got up to and would love to discover reason for citation. 

kclass.png

hms crescent.jpg

4 minutes ago, AgentAlf said:

CC France Medals.jpg

Internet Image 2.jpg

Lt Cmd CC France MBE DSM retired 1946

Just now, AgentAlf said:

Just now, AgentAlf said:

CC France Rating.pdf

His DSM was actually for 'services in submarines in enemy waters' - not for action with the enemy. This was recognition for the quality of his contribution on patrols in the performance of his duties.

Crescent was the depot ship for 13th Submarine Flotilla based in the Forth. It stayed put, providing the administrative and logistical support for the Flotilla. The log book would therefore tend to record comings and goings, weather etc,

What will tell you more is his full service record from the National Archives, which you can access here, just by registering. It has more info than your letter:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7572818

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7092822

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6740727

Edited by The Treasurer

4 hours ago, AgentAlf said:

I just can’t find out what they got up to and would love to discover reason for citation. 

He was awarded the DSM. along with dozens of other ratings, " in recognition of their services in submarines in enemy waters:" This suggests that the award, along with his promotion to warrant rank, was in recogntion of the performance of his duties as a PO Tel (Exceptional Ability), rather than for any singular act. He is not in the list of those given the DSM "Honours for Services in Action with Enemy Submarines."

1 hour ago, AgentAlf said:

During his time in HMS CRESCENT she was the static depot ship for XIII Submarine Flotilla. His duties would have kept him in the depot ship  CRESCENT's log for the period as depot ship will probably be rather dull.

Edited by horatio2

That is my reading of the exact wording for his DSM in the London Gazette (30 Oct 17). There are two separate lists:

• Honours for Services in Action with Enemy Submarines - To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.
  • Honours for Service in Submarines - ..... in recognition of their services in submarines in enemy waters: To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.

PO Tel France is in the latter list. His last annual assessment as a PO Tel on 31 Dec 1916 shows his up-grading to EXCEPTIONAL ability after a previous long run of SUPERIOR assessments over five years. All culminated in a deserved promtion to Warrant rank and a DSM to crown his service as a submarine rating.

It is the last bit that is most interesting, I'v not seen this before and I have researched it for ages. I did miss the 2 types of DSM award, but that makes sense now I see it. Thanks so much H2.

• Admin

I’ve merged thr two posts about the same man to avoid repetition of answers. 

Overall an exemplary record of RN service to age 50 in 1936 and then on into recall for WW2. Not bad for an 18 year old telegraph clerk who initially joined for just five years as a Special Service seaman in 1904. DSM and MBE = a record to be proud of.

Indeed we are proud, when he landed in Malta to charge the WT station in 1942, it would have been rather exciting. After the war he was in Nuremberg for a time too. Though I can't find any records he was in the Army for year or two before the navy.

15 minutes ago, AgentAlf said:

Though I can't find any records he was in the Army for year or two before the navy.

When he joined the RN in 1904 he would have been required to declare on oath any previous army service . Why would he not do this? No previous service appears on his record. His 1904 Special Service engagement papers (as SS.552) are held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Musuem of the Royal Navy) but they are currently closed to enquiries.

Perhaps, as a 16-17 year old lad he was in some sort of cadet corps. Army seems a bit unlikely.

I have just noticed the reference to to the 2nd West Yorkshire Royal Engineers in the June 1992 MOD letter laying out his RN service. I know little of this unit except that they were volunteers and associated with telegraphs. Nor can I see where the MOD got this information. Perhaps an army expert can comment on the status of such men.

11 hours ago, helpjpl said:

Thanks JP, some updates since I last saw them. 

5 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I have just noticed the reference to to the 2nd West Yorkshire Royal Engineers in the June 1992 MOD letter laying out his RN service. I know little of this unit except that they were volunteers and associated with telegraphs. Nor can I see where the MOD got this information. Perhaps an army expert can comment on the status of such men.

Thanks I start a new thread in this one. 

As I understand it, the 2nd West Yorkshire Royal Engineers Voluinteers were a locally-raised unit (under the Lord Lieutenant's powers) and, being before the establishment of the Territorial Army in 1908, were not part of the army. So I still believe that he did not have prious army service. The reference for his 'army' service remains a mystery (to me!) but may have been mentioned on his RN (SS) engagement papers (FAAM).

Just out of curiosity, does the answer to question 2 on his original 1904 service record have any significance, or is this just a standard notation?

Image sourced from Ancestry:

43343_1094_0-00276.jpg

Edited by Tawhiri

1 hour ago, Tawhiri said:

Just out of curiosity, does the answer to question 2 on his original 1904 service record have any significance, or is this just a standard notation?

Image sourced from Ancestry:

43343_1094_0-00276.jpg

FE = First Entry (into the RN)