Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Penfold - Middlesex Regiment ?

jeremy penfold

I'm trying to find out more about the war service of my Grandpa , Walter Penfold, born on 8th Feb 1898 in Chelwood Gate, Kent. The attached picture shows him at a family wedding in 1917 in uniform, zooming in I'm pretty certain its a Middlesex cap badge. The family story is that he joined up in 1916 and may have been invalided out. 

I've searched using Ancestry and National Archives and can't find any matching record to validate this - it would be great to hear if anyone has any other information. 394124309_grandpaatDorringtonwedding.jpg.085c5f8c2fbdbdd1ff3f6ce4db268eed.jpg

Edited by jeremy penfold

11 minutes ago, jeremy penfold said:

I'm trying to find out more about the war service of my Grandpa , Walter Penfold, born on 8th Feb 1898 in Chelwood Gate, Kent. The attached picture shows him at a family wedding in 1917 in uniform, zooming in I'm pretty certain its a Middlesex cap badge. The family story is that he joined up in 1916 and may have been invalided out. 

I've searched using Ancestry and National Archives and can't find any matching record to validate this - it would be great to hear if anyone has any other information. 394124309_grandpaatDorringtonwedding.jpg.085c5f8c2fbdbdd1ff3f6ce4db268eed.jpg

Can you give us any more information-  parents names, any middles names etc ?

Craig

Thanks Craig, date of birth is 8th Feb 1898, no middle name, parents are George Penfold (1862 - 1943) and Laura Penfold nee Ridley (1858-1909). The family lived in the village of Cowden, Kent. 

Hi Jeremy,

Not found any military records as yet. However, Walter is shown as still living in Cowden on the 1939 Register. A home decorator and Special Constable residing at 2, Council Cottages, North St. (Ancestry UK).

F.

I can find just 20 entries for Walter Penfold in the NA Medal Index Card records and none are to the Middlesex Regiment. On the off chance I checked the cap badge for every regiment/Corps covered in those 20 cards and none matched that in the photo.

A similar combined search there for “Penfold” and “Middlesex” produced just 18 MICs, but none were for a Walter.

I could ask over on the Badge Forum whether this badge is definitely the Middlesex or not, if that’s ok to post the photo there?

Edited by MartyG

It's quite possible he never served overseas, or didn't do so with the Middlesex, so there'd be no relevant MIC for him.

Craig

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It's quite possible he never served overseas, or didn't do so with the Middlesex, so there'd be no relevant MIC for him.

Craig

Ah, thanks for clarifying that Craig.

I've had a response on the badge and the received wisdom is that its definitely the Middlesex Regiment as its a very distinctive shape. 

20 minutes ago, jeremy penfold said:

I've had a response on the badge and the received wisdom is that its definitely the Middlesex Regiment as its a very distinctive shape. 

Great stuff Jeremy. I hope you can find out more about Walter. 

Edited by MartyG

Seems likely his brother Joseph won the MM serving with the Buffs.

The brothers are mentioned in this article from Feb 1919.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive.

Snap 2021-07-21 at 21.37.22.png

Edited by sadbrewer

That's very interesting, I knew uncle Joe, but didn't know about the MM, I feel more research coming on. Nice to see the piece confirms private Penfold of the Middlesex. 

MM index card shows Joseph in 6th East Kent (The Buffs).

Steady.

F.