Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Pals Silver Badge

malcolmjameswilson

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask the forum if Officers were included in the distribution of Silver cap badges by Lord Derby to the Liverpool Pals in 1914.

It has been suggested to me that only other ranks were given them. Does anyone know of any proof of this.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

No, apparently the silver badges were not issued to officers at the time of raising, not least because the uniform of the officers required officers service dress bronze insignia to be worn.

Around 4,000 silver badges were issued with some made in Chester and some in London.  They were marked on the back accordingly.

NB.  The officers badges had a void between the Liver birds legs, the other ranks badges did not.  You can read extensive information about this at the following link, but to see images you will need to register: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8527350

24C8D034-67C4-425D-93FA-4431F15C9FFD.jpeg

E625DF2D-F39C-4734-B05D-2BAB84984460.jpeg

28ACD281-E8EA-430A-87B1-D99FA63F8E10.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

However, there is this photo of Lieutenant Eric Fitzbrown who was KIA at the battle of the Somme in July 1916 where he appears to be wearing white metal cap and collar insignia.  

CF249DB3-9F45-43ED-9171-C0CA7C23CE91.jpeg

Hello Frogsmile.

Thank you very much for the helpful and informative reply with wonderful pictures. Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Malcolm 

Frogsmile.

I would like to ask one further question if I may. The picture of the officers service dress badge with the voided legs. Does it have blades or lugs on the reverse?

Kind regards, Malcolm.

OSD cast, bronze cap badges had NS blades.

OSD cast, bronze collar badges had EW loops.

1st (unauthorised 1914) OR (bronzed) cast cap badge had NS loops

OR Patt 8520/1915 (bronzed struck GM, had NS loops.

OR Patt 9483/1917 OR (bronzed) struck with a slider.

PS I don't think Lt Fitzbrown's badges are WM but photograph taken in hard light or sunlight.

Edited by JulianB

20 minutes ago, JulianB said:

OSD cast, bronze cap badges had NS blades.

OSD cast, bronze collar badges had EW loops.

1st (unauthorised 1914) OR (bronzed) cast cap badge had NS loops

OR Patt 8520/1915 (bronzed struck GM, had NS loops.

OR Patt 9483/1917 OR (bronzed) struck with a slider.

PS I don't think Lt Fitzbrown's badges are WM but photograph taken in hard light or sunlight.

Thank you Julian, I did wonder about that, but accepted conventional wisdom and thought it could only at best be an aberration.  That said it would have needed extraordinary reflective light to achieve such a pronounced effect from OSD insignia.

(Toby Purcell)