Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I came across this thread while trying to find out about my maternal Grandfather - Mellis MacCulloch (DoB 22 May 1897 ). From what I can gather he joined the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in early 1915 and transferred to the Special Brigade in early 1916. Where would be best to try and find more - there seems to be a lot of online records available but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Mellis MacCulloch RE Special Brigade

I've split this in to it's own thread to prevent it being lost on the other one.

Craig

Andrew,

Welcome to GWF.

A Medal Index Card [MIC] and its corresponding Medal Roll are found on Ancestry - with his RE number of 154928 and ranks of Pioneer - they show a British War Medal and a Victory Medal.  No theatre of war or date so he must have gone overseas after 31.12.1915, which is probably not all that surprising if he enlisted in 1915.  MIC [originally transcribed as McCulloch] can be obtained by free basic membership of Ancestry and also free at the National Archives http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3782235 

Good luck with your research.

:-) M

Thanks for the responses which all ties in with the little information I had.

@Matlock1418 you refer to him having gone overseas after 31.12.1915 as there is no theatre of war on the MIC. What is the significance of the date of 31.12.1915 - did they stop recording medals after that date.  We have more than two medals but there a family suggestion some of them may  belong to somebody else but if they were awarded but not recorded that may not be the case.

Thanks

Andrew, it is the cut-off date for the 1914-15 Star. He was transferred to the Special Brigade in March 1916. Thousands of men were transferred or sent to the Brigade from training depots during February to June 1916  to bring the original four companies up to a brigade strength. This was to be able to use them in the forthcoming offensive on the Somme.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves