Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great Grandad.

TaurusMale

My Great Grandad was one of the first to join the RAF from the RFC on 1st April 1918. On his form it says at the bottom" Casualty Card Destroyed, No Entry. " Can anyone tell me anymore about what this means? Was he injured? He was a mechanic and rigger. 

Thanks. 

In military speak, casualty is an occurrence and a casualty form is a document on which postings, promotions and the like are recorded.  In the RFC, the casualty card recorded casualties (injuries etc) so no entry means he was not a casualty while with them.

MaxD

Edited by MaxD

I take it to mean that his Casualty Card was destroyed because there was no information on it. Had he been injured or wounded it would have been retained.

Thanks both of you, like you say because his card was destroyed he didn't get injured. 

Edited by TaurusMale

image.jpg.ce02350e8be1f365345f0f119649805e.jpg

This is from my Great Grandads join up form. I can make out the enlisted 27 ARS on 3.5.17 and the reclassified air mechanic 2 on 30.9.18.  The middle bit is obviously when he joined the RAF on the first day of it being formed on 1.4.18. I cant make out the writing either side of the RAF, on the right im thinking it's air mechanic 3. Thanks if you can help me.

Edited by TaurusMale

Although on paper it'd appear that your granddad transferred from 27 ARS to 48 TDS, in reality these were Waddington-based units. See excellent thread below in which Mick Davis of Cross & Cockade lists the various Waddington training units and their evolution:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/65523-waddington/

Thanks everyone. I'm just really proud that my Great Grandad was one of the first people to join the RAF on its inception on the 1st April 1918.

He was transferred to the RAF from the RFC on 1 April 1918 just like many thousands of others; he didn't 'join'. For officers at least there was a choice to return to one's regiment but most/all non-commissioned men didn't as far as I know.