Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE searchlight coy Milford Haven defences

jay dubaya

I was shown the below image today showing a RE searchlight in what was my bedroom for several years on Thorne Island in the mouth of Milford Haven Waterway. Anyone know which company was based here?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, J

E74CD4E3-3AE6-4F39-A575-382DCC4B3B4C.jpeg.b14b4fff7153f9b9cf1098c42e61d1a9.jpeg

In Camden fort Meagher they used during the war, manned by the Royal Engineers. One of it purposes was to illuminate sea mines on the surface at night for shipping. It used different colours.

One in Spike Island.

image.png.73e25348d30180fc37b22132ffd6d858.png

Remains of ones in Castletown Berehaven.

image.png.0828a71d16623e2df71570fcac904c52.png 

image.png.1a1c7ad6690b4a27800fb7419630def9.png

image.png.9bfa50a392e0a05e1b15fff62b1ef08b.png

Thanks for that Terry, it’s a great which gives me something to explore further. There are several photos in the sequence which show the newly installed generator and electric winches along with a nice group photo.

J

Nice information Tom thanks for adding to the thread.

Hope you’re feeling better ;)

J

Jay

Searchlight sections used observation posts. Each post was commanded by an officer and had a couple of junior ranks as observers. The OP had a numbered, gridded map, and was connected to a parent RGA  battery by telephone to whom their observations would be passed. The RFA battery had the range finders which would be used once the target was illuminated.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Illuminated indeed... thanks for that Terry. I’m aware of the RGA companies stationed on the forts but it would be interesting to learn what other RE detachments were stationed on the numerous forts up the Haven and how long they stayed at these posts.