Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant John Gordon Brown, M.C., 10th Bn Royal Fusiliers att'd. Y-47 T.M.Battery--M.C. for 1/7/16?

Old Owl

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can confirm if his M.C. was awarded for the 1st July, 1916--it was gazetted L.G. 23rd July, 1916. 

His entry in the Tonbridge School 'Summaries of Service', suggests that his M.C. was for 1/7/16, but gives no definitive proof. I know that there are entries for M.C.'s somewhere with annotations as to when and where they were awarded. I wonder if this M.C. has such an entry? and if so if it is possible to show me the entry and source.

Sadly Captain Brown was later reported missing whilst out reconnoitering on 5/10/18 at Radinghem, near Lille. His body was later found and buried by the Germans near Radinghem. He was aged 24.

Any help much appreciated,

TIA,  Robert

Hi

Is this any help. If you read down

BROWN , JOHN GORDON (websds.net)

As announced in the Gazette of July 27th 1916, he was awarded the M.C., the paragraph accompanying the award being as follows : "For conspicuous gallantry. He continued to work his guns under very heavy hostile shell fire and silenced the enemy's guns after three hours of fighting. On another occasion his battery was engaged during three successive days, and, when his guns were buried and dug-outs blown in, he kept up fire with one gun, while the others were being dug out. He has set a fine example to his men." 

regards

Jon

Many thanks John, this is very helpful, but I was really hoping for the entry with annotations which may clarify the exact date and place for the award.

Best,  Robert

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for this--but I have seen entries such as this but with hand written annotations stating the date and place of the action for which the M.C. was awarded.  Any ideas?

Best,  Robert

Hi Robert,

12 minutes ago, Old Owl said:

I was really hoping for the entry with annotations which may clarify the exact date and place for the award

image.png.a10684192bd65c51de7dcd73ef4be335.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards
Chris

Many thanks Chris--this is exactly what I was looking for--so it was for the 'Souchez Section. 19.6.16'--just a couple of weeks prior to 1/7/16?

Best,  Robert

Hi Robert,

It would appear so; and his index card intimates that he was physically decorated on 9.12.1916.

image.png.5f9944b37a90737e32c1db3bfc4f5e8d.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards
Chris

Many thanks Chris,

I wonder if he was decorated by the King? although this would more than likely have been mentioned in his biography had this been the case--I guess?

Best,  Robert