Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Nomenclature - British Cemetery? Military Cemetery? Cemetery?

John(txic)

Can someone advise the reasoning behind the formal naming of the CWGC's cemeteries?

In their records they are named variously as British, or Military, or simply Cemetery.   E.G. Ribecourt British Cemetery, Ration Farm Military Cemetery, Godezonne Farm Cemetery etc.  Is there any difference? 

John

Anyone?

Something that I often wondered about when travelling around.

Possibly, British as British regiments mainly the.main inhabitants. But then could it be military to a void confusion with a local civil cemetery then, how about British as it was a british front line or even field hospital?

• Admin

A lot of them were named during the war, and remain that way. If you look at maps of the time (I have some from the WFA CDs) the cemeteries already have names. 

Hello,

I can't find any logic in the names. It's not that all "new" (concentration) cemeteries were named "British cemetery" as I was at first thinking or that certain names were specifically for cemeteries in France or in Belgium. It would be very interesting to know whether the CWGC itself has an answer to this question.

Jan

What a spiffing idea, AOK - I'll ask them!

Cheers,

John

1 hour ago, John(txic) said:

What a spiffing idea, AOK - I'll ask them!

Cheers,

John

Please let us know if you receive an answer.

Jan

Very prompt response from the CWGC:

Dear Mr Hale

Thank you for your recent e mail.

With regard to your query, the only real guideline designation for our cemeteries is that “military” cemeteries is a  WW1 term and “War” cemeteries is a WW2 term.

Other than that, the cemeteries are often named after places, individuals, events or just nicknames the soldiers gave to a location. There were no hard and fast rules. Some were called British to delineate them from other sites in the area at the time (you have to remember many smaller cemeteries and the cemeteries of other nations were concentrated after the war) but others weren’t and the term had very little to do with who was buried at the location. 

I hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards

Julie Somay

Enquiries Administrator

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

2 Marlow Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 7DX, United Kingdom

Tel: | Website: www.cwgc.org

Thanks for posting the answer here.

Jan