Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does This Mean Chelsea Pensioner?

Dazscuba

Can anybody please advise if this means he was a Chelsea Pensioner and if so where can I find his records?

Pte 39691 Arthur Harrison

East Yorks Reg

thanks

ancestry.co.uk09E3C639-FFAC-48D0-8B65-9B1283387ED3.jpeg.6567c15295b1a66e058cc1878756095a.jpeg

It seems to be an annotation directing the document to: ‘Chelsea for file(ing)’.  Chelsea is where the regular army’s pensions were originally administered.

In the nineteenth century, there were far more people who were Chelsea out-pensioners than Chelsea in-pensioners. Royal Hospital Chelsea administered the pensions paid to former soldiers.

As I understand it, the WO 97 files were retained by Royal Hospital Chelsea, as were the WO 364 files, in relation to army out-pensioners.
https://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/tracing-ancestors#:~:text=Historically%2C there were two categories,from agents around the country.

Looking on Ancestry I can find his MIC, Medal Issue card and Pension ledgers. Can anybody find anything else for him please.
know he lived at 203 High Street, Hull

trying to get his DOB or any other info if anybody can assist please?

26 minutes ago, Dazscuba said:

Looking on Ancestry I can find ... Pension ledgers.

Looking at WFA/Fold3 = Actually one is a Pension Index Card [PIC or Pension Card/PC] in the older style of Chelsea Hospital claims [has the same MoP Yorkshire Region reference of a 4/MH/313 as a Pension Ledger Index Card [PLIC] from which you took your OP abstract] - this PIC shows his initial award of 8/- from 12.11.19 [and the rear of the PLIC has his later awards continuing a conditional [temporary] pension of 8/- for 20% disability to 29/4/24]

The ledgers themselves are long lost.

There does not appear to be a retained pension file amongst the few PIN 26 examples at the National Archives - it is likely to have been deliberately destroyed, along with the majority, once its use had ended.

Unfortunately no DoB for you.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

FmP has a medical record with him entering hospital in 27 Nov 1918 for flu - discharged 28 Dec 1918

He is 35 years old and has served for 6 months, 6 weeks of that in the field

Hull Electoral Registers show an Arthur Harrison at 203 High St with Emily Harrison. 1921-30. Unsure either side of that. Trying to locate Emily. 

There is a marriage of a Arthur Harrison to Emily Palmer registered Sculcoates 2Q 1918 which may be the correct one.

Dinsdale List records his medal pair was for sale on ebay in July 2011. 

Edited by Mark1959

Mark thanks so much was struggling with him 

are the registers on Ancestry as I can’t find them at all.

Edited by Dazscuba

The rolls only appear to be on fmp. There are a few potential Arthurs from around 1883/4 but to date I cannot link to the electoral records. The Hull records seem to end 1931

Edited by Mark1959

Seem to be disappearing up my own whatsit on this one. There are numerous possibles. Emily Palmer seems the most likely spouse. However, nothing to draw it all together. You should order the Marriage Certificate from the GRO,  This might provide the vital clue - or of course not

• 2 weeks later...

Mark as usual thank you for all your help