Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sussex man required 1028 RS at skating Ring Hove

arantxa

Cross-checking with the 1911 England census produces a Charles Walker aged 37, with wife Phillis aged 32, and five children aged between 11 and 2 living at 37 St James's Rd, Bermondsey. Griffiths Hughes is also living at number 67, with his wife Elizabeth and three boarders.

Edited by Tawhiri

Interestingly, Albert's younger brother, Charles Henry, died of wounds as a prisoner of war on 17 July 1916, while serving with the 12th Battalion of the London Regiment (The Rangers), according to SDGW. Parent's address is given as 67 St James's Road, Bermondsey on the CWGC website, as before. There are at least two pension index cards related to his death with payments being made to his mother, Ada Ruth Studd. Unfortunately I don't have access to Fold3, but I'm wondering if they might give some clues as to when they moved to 67 St James's Road.

Edited by Tawhiri

11 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

Interestingly, Albert's younger brother, Charles Henry, died of wounds as a prisoner of war on 17 July 1916, while serving with the 12th Battalion of the London Regiment (The Rangers), according to SDGW. Parent's address is given as 67 St James Road, Bermondsey, as before. There are at least two pension index cards related to his death with payments being made to his mother, Ada Ruth Studd. Unfortunately I don't have access to Fold3, but I'm wondering if they might give some clues as to when they moved to 67 St James Road.

The addition of the address to the card looks to be contemporary with the card being completed so it seems they were there by November 1918

Craig,

36 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The addition of the address to the card looks to be contemporary with the card being completed so it seems they were there by November 1918

Although a search of the transcribed electoral rolls on Ancestry doesn't bring up Edward Charles Studd living anywhere in 1918, a visual examination of the 1918 electoral roll shows that both he and Ada were recorded as living at 67 St James's Road at this time, so definitely there by November 1918.

12 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The only B.103 in his discharge record starts in 1918 and the next of kin address down the side is his mother of 67 St James Road. Of course that could have been the address Albert gave when he enlisted or it could have been a subsequent change, we will probably never know.

1 hour ago, Tawhiri said:

Cross-checking with the 1911 England census produces a Charles Walker aged 37, with wife Phillis aged 32, and five children aged between 11 and 2 living at 37 St James Rd, Bermondsey. Griffiths Hughes is also living at number 67, with his wife Elizabeth and three boarders.

These addresses were multiple occupancy - probably a flat per floor. Of course one of the heads of household  shown on the Census may have been either the owner or a main tenant who were sub-letting, either legally or illegally. If they were sub-letting then such heads of household may be recorded as "Lodgers". This was a separate category on the Electoral Register, presumably because there were restrictions as non-ratepayers in the elections they could vote in.

So as well as Charles Walker as a head of household at 37 St James Road, there is also a household headed up by a John Winton. There is also a third household in the name of a Miss Matilda Wright, but unfortunately she won't be likely to appear on the electoral register - well at least not for a parliamentary election.

Looking at the addresses on either side

35 St James Road.
Household 1 is headed up by Henry Booth.
Household 2 is headed up by Henry James Kirkman.
Household 3 is headed up by Fred Curtis.
Household 4 is headed up by Thomas England. (On the 1912 Electoral Register this address).

39 St James Road.
Household 1 is headed up by a Katherine(?) Gardain(?) - wife of the head of the household
Household 2 is headed up by James Ansell Byrne

Cheers,

Peter

26 minutes ago, PRC said:

These addresses were multiple occupancy - probably a flat per floor. Of course one of the heads of household  shown on the Census may have been either the owner or a main tenant who were sub-letting, either legally or illegally. If they were sub-letting then such heads of household may be recorded as "Lodgers". This was a separate category on the Electoral Register, presumably because there were restrictions as non-ratepayers in the elections they could vote in.

Peter, thank you for that explanation, it was very helpful. In the 1915 Southwark electoral rolls there are three divisions, but the only additional person I can find listed in the other two divisions at either 37 or 67 St James's Road is an Edward Errington, who is shown as being a lodger at number 37, and paying rent to the aforementioned Charles Walker. I can't find anybody else listed at either of those two numbers. The rolls are organized by street name and house number, so anybody living at either of those addresses should be grouped together in a division. I wonder how the 1911 roll would match up with the 1911 census data.

Edited by Tawhiri

Wow

what interesting facts and research from a postcard.....thank you all so much for the great input !!!

4 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Interestingly, Albert's younger brother, Charles Henry, died of wounds as a prisoner of war on 17 July 1916, while serving with the 12th Battalion of the London Regiment (The Rangers), according to SDGW. Parent's address is given as 67 St James's Road, Bermondsey on the CWGC website, as before. There are at least two pension index cards related to his death with payments being made to his mother, Ada Ruth Studd.

Unfortunately no surviving service records for Private 4499 Charles Henry Studd so can't use that for a check on the address in 1914. And the four documents about him on his ICRC card, (FMP only lists three and one of them is the card itself, which I couldn't find on the main site), all reference in different ways his death in a Field Hospital, with most showing it at Favreuil. There is no personal information like age or place of residence. The address on CWGC is most likely the one they corresponded with in the mid-twenties when permanent memorials were being put in place. I'm not finding any newspaper reports of his death on FMP.

Of course what we may have is that sister Alice May moved into rented rooms at 37 St James Road, or stayed with friends or extended family at the end of November 1914 and that her parents never lived there. However I'm struggling to see how it could ever be proved.

For now the strongest candidate and scenario appears to be 1028 Albert Ernest Studd 2/6th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, then in temporay billet at the Hove Skating Ring who posted a card to his sister Miss Alice May Studd, of 37 St James Road, Bermondsey late in the day on the 22nd November 1914. Albert had joined the Army at Brighton four days earlier. At his medical he was graded A1.

But there is no "smoking gun" and even him having the original service number of 1028 has not been proved beyond reasonable.

@TullochArd provided another candidate which has yet to be fully investigated. However it will have to go some to beat the stong, but circumstantial case for Albert.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

Late to this party (tech issues) but just to add to PRC's great summary & all work done by others.

I read what appears to be the first line of text on the card as two separate lines, the second slightly lower.

...   May 

My address

Hove is local to me so was interested in where the Skating Rink may have been. Looking at the newspapers on the BNA index there were two rinks just pre war.

American Roller Skating Rink, Selborne Road, Hove.  Opened May 1909.  As well as skating it held a Grand Masked and Costume Carnival, Military Band & a Rustic Carnival. Business must have failed as lease was up for sale in March 1910.

Prince's Rink, Holland Road, Hove. Opened October 1910.

The next mention of any rink in Hove is in 1930 of the Brighton & Hove Ice Skating Rink adjoining Hove Station.

Roller skating has had several boom times & I guess pre WW1 was one of those times.

Travers

Edited by travers61

Thats interesting 

• 2 months later...

A bit late to this one, but I have attached the front page of the 2/6th Nominal Roll dated 9th September 1916, Under the heading stretcher bearers you will find 1028 Pte Studd, there are no other Studds listed in the battalion.2021-10-15_155442.jpg.0ebffe2a6034d4d4c2548ea365e43d45.jpg

Thank you RAC1473 I see you collect sussex i have over 300 sets to sussex im always interest in swapping if you are after a particular town etc  message me

• 1 year later...
On 15/07/2021 at 23:40, PRC said:

I've cleaned my glasses and now I think it says Private A. Studd and he's at the Skating Rink.

The post-mark on the stamp is probably the clearer one of the two and looks like 7. (3?)0 p.m. Nov. 2214.

There is a Medal Index Card for a Private 265549 Albert E Studd, Royal Sussex Regiment. His only Great War Service Medals were the Victory Medal and the British Service Medal. But he also qualified for the India General Service Medal with clasps for Afghanistan and North West Frontier Force.

Those latter awards can often mean there is an address on the back of the MiC, but unfortunately Ancestry have chosen to use their standard blank image, which may be appropriate but I can’t be certain.

The service number 265549 came from the block allocated to the 6th Battalions of Royal Sussex Regiment – 265001 to 290000. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-the-tf-infantry-in-1917/

And the LLT tells us that:-

2/6th (Cyclist) Battalion

Formed at Brighton in November 1914.
November 1915 : moved to Chisledon, joined with three other Cyclist Bns – 1/9th Hampshire, 1/25th London, and 1/1st Kent Cyclist Battalion, and converted to infantry. This ‘Brigade’ was originally intended for East Africa.
4 February 1916 : sailed from Devonport to India.
In October 1918: moved to Vladivostock and moved into Siberia, where then remained until November 1919 before returning to England.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/royal-sussex-regiment/

265549 Albert Edward Studd has surviving discharge documents -  they show his discharge address at 67 St James Road, Bermondsey when he was disembodied from the 2/6th Battalion on the 8th December 1919.

He joined at Brighton on the 18th November 1914 and was graded A1 – (is that what the postcard is referring to?). He served in India, suffering like so many with Malaria. His date of birth was the 24th July 1895. His job pre-enlistment was Footman. During his service he qualified as a Drummer. Unfortunately the pages in his discharge document don’t go back to anything much pre-1918, so it’s impossible to tell what his previous service number would have been.

Looking at nearby service numbers:-

265545 George Smith was originally 1024 (MiC)
265546 William Price was originally 1025 (MiC)
265547 Frank Ward was originally 1026 (MiC)

265550 Frank Bevan was originally 1030 (MiC). Also has surviving discharge records. Discharged from the 2/6th Battalion on the 4th July 1919. Originally enlisted 18th November 1914. Suffered from Malaria while serving in India. His occupation was also a Footman. His medical on discharge also says he contracted “Frontier Sores” on the Waziristan Campaign in July 1917. No prefix to the 1030 number where this is referenced on the paperwork.
265551 William H Cogger was originally 1031 (MiC). Another one with discharge records.Enlisted 18th November 1914 at Brighton, disembodied from the 2/6th Battalion on the 10th December 1919. Suffered Malaria from service in India. Previously worked as a Motor BodyTrimmer. Again no prefix to earlier service number. Qualified as a Lewis Gunner.
265554 Sidney G White was originally 1035 (MiC).

So if the numbers run true, and allowing for men who may have already died\ discharged or transferred, 265549 Albert Edward Studd may very well have originally been 1028.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The nearest match in the General Registrars Office index of Births for England & Wales for an Albert Edward Studd, born 24th July 1895 was a birth registered in the St Saviours Southwark Civil Registration District  - but in the July to September quarter of 1894. Mothers’ maiden name was Pike.

The only likely marriage in England & Wales for a male Studd to a female Pike was recorded in the Mile End Old Town District of London in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1889. This was the union of an Edward Whiting Studd to an Ada Ruth Pike.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 16 year old Albert Edward Studd, born Camberwell, London, and a Tea Sampler for a Tea Dealer, who was recorded living at 14 Staples Rents, Rotherhithe, London S.E. This was the household of his parents Edward Charles, (50, Barman, born Rotherhithe) and Ada Ruth Studd, (44, born Whitechapel). The couple have been married 22 years and have had 5 children, of which three were then still alive. All three were still living with them – as well as Albert there was also a younger son Charles Henry Studd, (14, Machine Boy at a Letterpress Printer, born Chelsea) and an older daughter – Alice May Studd, (18, born Camberwell).

So a possible candidate for a Miss M. Studd, an explanation for the reference to A.1, an enlistment only four days before the postcard was sent and Army life was still new for young Albert, and certainly by the end of 1919 the family were living at St James Road, Bermondsey, albeit at a different number. Looking at the neighbourhood, as stated previously I suspect the possibility of a fairly frequent turnover of occupants – something that may only have got worse with war time inflation of rents in the Capital. I've only got access to the London Electoral Registers up to 1912, but would be interesting to know where father Edward Charles Studd turns up on the 1913/1914/1915 Electoral Registers.

On the 1939 Register there is an an Albert E. Studd, born 24th July 1894, who was recorded as the first person in the household at 44 Colwick Street, Surrey Quays, Southwark, Deptford, London. A married man, he was working as a Clerk for the Post of London Authority. During the second world war he would serve with the PLA ARP as a First Aider. The only other person in the household is probably his wife, Emily Studd, born 26th August 1897 and carrying out unpaid domestic duties.

The death of an Albert Edward Studd, born 24th July 1894, was recorded in the Eastbourne District of Sussex in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1974. The 1975 Probate Calendar records that an Albert Edward Studd of 10 Harold Close, Pevensey Bay, Sussex died on the 24th December 1974. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Studd&yearOfDeath=1975&page=1#calendar

Hope that’s not a red herring,

Cheers,
Peter

Well done, Peter. You have done a fantastic job of ferreting out the truth of the story. As Albert Edward Studd was my grandfather, whose parents were indeed Edward Charles and Ada Ruth Studd, and May Studd, later May Carter of 67 St. James Road, Bermondsey, was my great aunt. When my grandparents got married they did live at 44 Colwick Street, Deptford. 

As this is WW1 site, I could add to the story that Albert Edward and May's brother Charles Henry Studd was killed in France in 1916:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/583120/charles-henry-studd/

Best wishes everyone, and thanks for researching for this little bit of my family history. @arantxa, have you still got the postcard? I'd love to have it, please, if you would be willing to part with it, Rebecca. 

Wow that is great isn’t it lovely to put a face to it 

13 hours ago, Rebecca Parris said:

Here's a photo of Albert Edward Studd before he enlisted, in his footman uniform 

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good to know we weren't entirely off target with the identification  and really enjoyed putting a face to the name as well.

Thank-you for posting.
Peter

Welcome to the forum. I've just come across the 2/6th Royal Sussex War Diaries 1915-17 online. They can be viewed free courtesy of West Sussex County Council here. As might be expected they don't mention ORs by name much, but as background information they may be of interest (as an example, D Company - presumably including Albert Studd - completed their musketry course in Southwold on Good Friday, 1915).

Edit: I've read it until 1917, and to be honest it doesn't get much more interesting than that...

Edited by Pat Atkins

On 29/01/2023 at 02:28, Rebecca Parris said:

Albert Edward Studd was my grandfather, whose parents were indeed Edward Charles and Ada Ruth Studd, and May Studd, later May Carter of 67 St. James Road, Bermondsey, was my great aunt.

Rebecca, Welcome to GWF

You may find this of interest from the Western Front Association/Fold3 - same address.

image.png.c944ed1232da839ecf30867a61b094bf.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Albert Edward STUDD

Nicely links Royal Sussex 265549 to 1028 [the position and later addition of this number is indicative of 1028 being his earlier number]

Its a claim card for a disability pension after discharge [to processed by the Ministry of Pensions]

Discharged 8.12.19 - Unfortunately we can't see what he was claiming for or how he got on. [Assuming he had a condition worthy of a pension - At least it isn't stamped or annotated 'Rejected']

The claim however did end and the DEAD stamp indicates this [not necessarily because the man was dead - just an end of claim] - the reverse has another DEAD stamp and Filed 4.7.24

Fortunately his main Award file is not lost [unlike so many others deliberately destroyed once their use was passed] Available at the National Archives as a PIN 26 file = Claimed for Malaria https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3399215 [unfortunately not digitised so cannot be downloaded]

M

Edit: Though I had missd his earlier post this pension card is the one mentioned by @SteveE 

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit:

On 15/10/2021 at 16:00, rac1473 said:

A bit late to this one, but I have attached the front page of the 2/6th Nominal Roll dated 9th September 1916, Under the heading stretcher bearers you will find 1028 Pte Studd, there are no other Studds listed in the battalion.

Could I ask where this Nominal Roll was sourced from?
Thanks,

58 DM.