Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P&O cheap deal, playing catch up with Speedferries

Max Poilu

Following all those Speedferries threads a while ago, P&O have seemingly got the wind up and are now offering a bus type service at last.

The cost is quite remarkable considering the previous rip-off prices. Book before 11th April for any duration in 2005 even in August at only £30 each way. This is a serious rival to Speedferries £25 each way. It is on designated sailings only but they are not silly times: Out 8.15, 11.15 etc. Back 14.20, 17.45.

However, it is a limited deal with limited availablity unlike the all year round SF prices. And presently you have the problems of delays at Calais of course. No problem for SF who dock at Boulogne. :)

I have heard recently within the last week that the problems in Calais will persist until December this year. A friend of mine arrived over here (Belgium) yesterday after a 9 hour delay. It seems the average delay for the Calais bound ferries is about 7 hrs. I think the best options at the moment are Speedferries to Boulogne or Norfolkline to Dunkirk.

Iain

So it's the Calais catastrophe that has motivated P&O's largesse . Sounds like Calais is unuseable even if they were giving the tickets away !

Sounds like Calais is unuseable even if they were giving the tickets away !

Which is damn nuisance as my ticket is bought and paid for!!

A seven hour delay going to Calais takes a big chunk out of my long weekend away. Dunno now whether to take a deep breath and keep my fingers crossed or cut my losses now and book another route.

John

John,

I would check it out first. A friend went over last week and only spent 1 hour floating around before docking.

You can re-schedule the P&O booking for later in the year and book another carrier this time. SF being favourite I guess as they do not use Calais.

I wonder if the cheaper deals from other carriers will melt away in view of the Calais problems. It will also put pressure on other routes. It could be a great boost for SF and Eurotunnel too. Bad news for us users though !

From our part of the planet, John, you could always consider Hull. The M62 would be the worst part of the trip.

Gwyn

I think the best options at the moment are Speedferries to Boulogne or Norfolkline to Dunkirk.

Iain

I booked for a car and three passengers on the Norfolk line for a crossing in early May to Dunkirk for £54 return trip. Booked it about 6 weeks ago. Looked at the North sea ferries from Hull but they was a bit pricy. I live near Preston and a overnigh stop over dahn sarf was still cheaper.

Paul

Had a "less than helpful" response from P & O Customer Services Department, about likely delays. So on the grounds of not wanting to run the risk of completely ruining the weekend by horrendous delays either/both direction, have booked a second ticket with Norfolk Line Dover/Dunkerque.

In itself, not too shabby at £59, but on top of a wasted £103 with P & O, this will not be the cheapest weekend away on record.

By the way, Speedferries seem not to be running for a large chunk of April, so Norfolk Line seems to be the only practical alternative to the possible Dover/Calais delays. I notice Norfolk and several of the bucket shops appear to have increased prices, overnight, from £59 to £75.

Tunnel was about £155 for the same April weekend.

John

Seems like cheap deals in April will indeed be a bit thin on the ground - pity, I wanted to go !

John - can you not get a refund (even partial) from P&O ? - although I suppose potentially horrendous delays are not an adequate basis for such a claim !

Ian

Afraid not. It was a "no change, no refund, pay up front" deal. Reasonable man that I am, I have to accept that this is not the fault of P & O and they are offering to fulfill their obligations - the ferry is sailing and it will get to Calais, some time. If by next month, it's clear that the delays are insignificant then I'll use the ticket (and waste the Norfolk Line one).

It wouldnt be a problem if it wasnt for the fact that we are only going for a couple of days (and other arrangements, like hotels, are also booked). Much more of a schlep for those of us "up north".

Still I can now look fully look forward to the trip and doing the stuff we've planned.

John

Shame John but as you say , you have to conserve the time when you only have 2 days.

Yes, it's a blessing for those of us who live an hour or so from Dover.