Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DSM to George William James

draperju

Can anyone help to search the London Gazette for the the citation for TZ/2837 George William James.

LG 29736 dated 6 September 1916

This site defeats me when I attempt to search.

Any help would be grateful received

Draperju

Thank you very much. Could you please take a few minutes and explain to me what you put in the search engine to get the result. I have great difficulty with this search engine

Draperju

I went into Awards, then limited to WW1 notices then tried various  TZ2837 variations finally just leaving 2837. This gave 21 hits and I trawled through, finding him there. I avoid putting a date of gazette because it always complicates matters. Using a range covering a couple of weeks either side is best. (in this case Publication date is down as 5/9 but Supplement is headed 6/9 !!)

528193325_GWFLGsearch.JPG.7cc11775a8b480deaf2e1e54d4efe2eb.JPG

Edited by charlie962

1 hour ago, draperju said:

Can anyone help to search the London Gazette for the the citation for TZ/2837 George William James.

As you will have noticed, the LG does not have a citation (and has also wrongly rendered his Official No,). All those RND DSMs are for service at Gallipoli and that for James follows up the award, in October 1915, of a Certificate by GOC RND for Courageous and Gallant Conduct. The GOC Certificates were often followed later by a MiD or DSM.