Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"On loan to Mr Wright 6 Jan 1953"

Skipman

I found this and was curious who Mr Wright might have been, and why he might have had a loan of the diary of the 1st Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders on Jan the 6th, 1953. How did people get access to these documents at that time?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43849_2263_2-00001?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Mike

Forum Argyll.JPG

Edited by Skipman

If you find out, let me know. Mrs Broomfield says she's been looking for Mr Wright for years.

I've seen in diaries notes or letters before by the writers of official histories who clearly had that diary.

They often annotate, underline, bracket, question mark or otherwise deface the original. Any such things in this one?

Not sure where the diary was in 1953, had it gone to the PRO by then?

The originals must have filtered back to the WO.

TEW

At least he brought it back... Perhaps a researcher for Brig R.C.B. Anderson, HISTORY OF THE ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS. 1st Bn, 1909-1939, published 1954.

Edited by Open Bolt

Yes, seems like a good call considering the date. Wonder if any missing diaries did not succumb to Operation Michael but to researchers who could take them away with them.

TEW

Thanks all, just curious. I too wondered if some never returned. Maybe there are missing diaries somewhere, hopefully not skipped.

Mr Broomfield, funnily enough my wife's looking for him too, what's he got that we ain't?

Mike

A previous thread started by IPT on Mr Wright

can be found HERE  (worth a read)

17 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

A previous thread started by IPT on Mr Wright

can be found HERE  (worth a read)

Anything useful to add?

Mike