Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HONORARY AFRICAN OFFICERS IN KAR & EAST AFRICAN UNITS

bushfighter

I am trying to compile a list of African Honorary Subalterns and Captains who served in the KAR & EA Forces during World War 1.

I have written about Kabaka Daudi Chwa II here: https://manage.wix.com/dashboard/363bc645-354d-4dc2-9256-cc3f3d4d9689/blog/60eaf3286fe78e0015ad4b77/edit

Intelligence Agent Lieutenant Henry Plummer Ishmael died of wounds after being shot and captured by the Germans at the 1914 Tanga landings.  His memorial plaque in Kampala Protestant Cathedral is shown below.  His Medal Index Card (MIC) can be retrieved from Ancestry.

As can the MIC of Honorary Lieutenant Sir Apolo Kagwa, Prime Minister of Buganda, which shows that he served in the Buganda Rifles and African Native Medical Corps (ANMC).

Another ANMC Honorary Lieutenant and then Captain, Prince Joseph Massangi Walugembe, received a Mention in Despatches and was appointed MBE.

Page 10960 of the London Gazette of 24 October 1917 records two more Honorary 2nd Lieutenants: Mahomed bin Seif - King's African Rifles, and Sudi bin Ali of the Arab Rifles, but I have not yet found MICs or further details of service.

These Honorary Officers are not in the excellent Effendi category who were promoted from the ranks in KAR battalions, but they were local gentlemen of distinction and influence who were educated to a suitable level and whose local political support the British authorities wanted or needed.

Sadly our KAR histories appear to ignore these Officers and Gentlemen, which I am sure does them a disservice as they would have been of real assistance in recruitment drives if nothing else.  The ANMC history shows that Prince Joseph played a full part as a regimental officer when the ANMC was deployed operationally into German and Portuguese East Africa.

Please can any Forum Member help me expand the list?

Harry

Lt H.P. Ishmael.JPG

Hongera Alf, you're well ahead of myself on IT!  

Please would you mind searching for Yusuf Suuna Kiweewa, although he may be a post-WW1 appointment and so not given a MIC.

Harry

21 hours ago, bushfighter said:

Page 10960 of the London Gazette of 24 October 1917 records two more Honorary 2nd Lieutenants: Mahomed bin Seif - King's African Rifles, and Sudi bin Ali of the Arab Rifles,

Harry

Just a small addition to this.... this particular London Gazette entry was later updated on Page 11985 of London Gazette #30390, 20 November 1917 and both gentlemen concerned were made temp. Hon. Lieutenants.

"The undermentioned to be temp. Hon. Lts. 25th Oct. 1917:-
Mahomed bin Seif, whilst serving with K. Afr. Rif.
Sudi bin Ali, whilst serving with the Arab Rif.
(Substituted for the notification in the Gazette of 24th Oct. 1917.)"

London Gazette #30765, 26 June 1918, Page 7543 amended Hon. Lt. Sudi bin Ali's commission still further...

"The date of the appt. of temp. Hon. Lt. Sudi bin Ali is 25th Feb. 1917, and not as in the Gazette of 20th Nov. 1917."

London Gazette #32803, 6 March 1923, Page 1820 completed the details of Hon. Lt. Sudi bin Ali's service...

"Temp. Hon. Lt. Sudi bin Ali, Spec. List, relinquishes his commn. on completion of Service, 31st July 1918, and retains the hon. rank of Lt."

I've so far been unable to find a similar entry for Hon. Lt. Mohamed bin Seif's completion of service and, like Alf, nothing at all for Yusuf Suuna Kiweewa.

Regards

Steve

2 minutes ago, SteveE said:

I've so far been unable to find a similar entry for Hon. Lt. Mohamed bin Seif's completion of service

Harry

Belay that, the OCR search was apparently seeing Seif as Self.....

London Gazette #31723, 8 January 1920, Page 317 records...

"Temp. Hon. Lt. Mahomed bin Seif, K. Afr. Rif., relinquishes his commn. on completion of service. 18th Mar. 1919."

Steve

Harry,

I have found Captain Said Abdurahman, East African Natives. I don't know if he is Honorary as I can't find him in the Gazette.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_626640_11944-00130?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=fc2c16632a193227beb96ffa2df54753&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bmY55769&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=4255046

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you very much Steve & Alf for filling in some gaps.

(Just for information, my double-volume book on the KAR & EA Forces in both World Ward has finally gone to the printers - it lists all known awards with citations if published.  Volume I covers World War I in East Africa and, I hope, can be bought separately if you have no interest in WW2.  It will be sold through the KAR & EA Forces Association website: http://www.kingsafricanriflesassociation.co.uk/  and I will post a notice in due course.

Just now, with the intensity of researching, writing and proof reading gone - my brain feels like an empty shell, totally fatigued and unable to concentrate.  So I'm taking things slowly.)

Harry

22 hours ago, bushfighter said:

Just for information, my double-volume book on the KAR & EA Forces in both World Ward has finally gone to the printers - it lists all known awards with citations if published.  Volume I covers World War I in East Africa and, I hope, can be bought separately if you have no interest in WW2.  It will be sold through the KAR & EA Forces Association website: http://www.kingsafricanriflesassociation.co.uk/  and I will post a notice in due course.

Well that is going to be something to add to the required list and I shall await your notice with eager anticipation...

Take it easy

Steve

• 6 months later...

Steve

Greetings

Was Volume 1 worth the £25 + p&p?

Harry

On 20/02/2022 at 13:46, bushfighter said:

Steve

Greetings

Was Volume 1 worth the £25 + p&p?

Harry

Harry

I would most definitely say so, a handsome hardback volume packed with a wealth of material on the achievements of the men of the EA and KAR forces.  Certainly a very welcome addition to the East African "reference library" and a job very well done.

Steve