Remembered Today:

Cap badge Regiment identification

wulsten

Looks like a clay pipe to me😁

Definitely struggling with this one.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Looks like a clay pipe to me😁

Definitely struggling with this one.

Knotty, yes very unusual, the photos are on an embroidered picture and a naval scene

20210712_164705.jpg

Have you managed at all to see if there is anything written on the back of the photo, or is it inaccessible?

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Have you managed at all to see if there is anything written on the back of the photo, or is it inaccessible?

Knotty 

,no not at moment it's behind glass and a bit delicate to be honest

_20210712_203354.JPG

Oh I see, you’re a brave man trying to open such a delicate object.
Forget I suggested it Wulsten. It looks like a family tribute, one lad in the army, perhaps another in action serving with the navy and 3 additional siblings. Plenty of detective work for you😁

8 hours ago, Knotty said:

Oh I see, you’re a brave man trying to open such a delicate object.
Forget I suggested it Wulsten. It looks like a family tribute, one lad in the army, perhaps another in action serving with the navy and 3 additional siblings. Plenty of detective work for you😁

Pity I'm not that good a detective ***

Edited by wulsten
F

• Admin

It might be Green Howard's with something put in front of the badge. 

Could this be a slightly bent shoulder title being worn as a cap badge with the glare from the flash obscuring the lettering???
Another alternative is that it is a broken Ox and Bucks Light Infantry badge or similar.

Sepoy

Just a wild stab in the dark, allowing for camera flash and the possibility that half the badge might be hidden behind the strap, it might possibly be South African Heavy Artillery.   Pete.

Behind the pipe shaped object appears to be a small badge, perhaps of star shape, but I’ve no firm idea what it is.  As for the pipe shape it seems bizarre, and nothing I can recognise.  He wears a typical early war cap and a simplified emergency jacket so a date of around 1914-15 seems likely.  A proper view of his left shoulder might reveal a shoulder title.

Edited by FROGSMILE

given that the photo is alongside a naval scene of a typical gun engagement, could he be a Royal Marine service, Artillery or a Tradesman for instance... The whole piece looks like a commemoration of a lost or survivor of recent ship loss and his family, perhaps created by the lady in the photo... 

Do we have any idea of what the naval scene is depicting?  
It looks like a large German battleship/cruiser type in dire straits and being harassed by a destroyer/light cruiser, if we know what action it represents it might just go a little way to solving who the family is, unless you know who they are yet Wulsten?

Looks like a very stylized scene of a major engagement with a line of battle cruisers in the background. On the other hand, it may be a totally imaginary scene. The mast/funnel configuration does not match anything I can find in the German fleet.

12 minutes ago, Tonyb said:

Looks like a very stylized scene of a major engagement with a line of battle cruisers in the background. On the other hand, it may be a totally imaginary scene. The mast/funnel configuration does not match anything I can find in the German fleet.

Same conclusion here Tonyb, a stylised depiction, could be reference to Jutland perhaps.

2 hours ago, exXIX said:

given that the photo is alongside a naval scene of a typical gun engagement, could he be a Royal Marine service, Artillery or a Tradesman for instance... The whole piece looks like a commemoration of a lost or survivor of recent ship loss and his family, perhaps created by the lady in the photo... 

I think that’s quite likely as not only is the central photo specifically Naval, but so too are the flags.  There is a Union ‘Jack’ of naval usage plus the three ancient ensigns relating to the original three fleets, ‘white’, ‘red’ and ‘blue’ that each at one time had its own admiral.  The badge worn by the soldier isn’t recognisable as a globe and laurels, but it’s not that dissimilar from a Royal Marines Artillery badge.  Again, seeing the left shoulder would be of great assistance.

6D4EE5E9-E9B6-4A76-A53D-451671B7C191.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks everyone, I have tried to google the naval battle scene without success, but wondering if associated with marines etc, certainly baffled 

10 minutes ago, wulsten said:

Thanks everyone, I have tried to google the naval battle scene without success, but wondering if associated with marines etc, certainly baffled 

Perhaps the battle of the Dogger Bank, or of first Heligoland Bight.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I see we are moving away from the unidentified cap badge question to the naval engagement the fickle world of the GWF😁

The Germans lost the SMS Blücher & Mainz,Cöln and Ariadne at those respective engagements.

Edited by Knotty