Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinion on a P1907 hooked quillon bayonet

MA57

Hello everyone,

I’m stuck between deciding to buy 1/2 hooked quillon bayonets. Witch one would you choose?

Hooked quillon 1: Victorian marked Australian used bayonet made by Wilkinson in July 1910. Has a out of service mark, serial number on the cross guard, bend test mark, government acceptance mark, and an EFD stamp. The scabbard has no markings. The bayonet is in extremely good condition, only a few marks on the handle.

Hooked quillon 2: S.A marked Australian used bayonet made by Wilkinson in November 1909. Has the serial number on the very bottom metal part of the scabbard along with a S.A stamp above it, a 1856 stamp on the bottom metal part of the handle, bend test mark, government acceptance mark, and an EFD stamp. On the back side of the scabbard you can see the out of service mark, the government acceptance mark along with a few letters. It is worse condition than the first one but still extremely good condition. It’s got rust on the bottom metal part of the handle we’re the 1856 is and a few scratches on the handle.

Michael

Edited by MA57

MA57

I take it that these are the 2 bayonets that we have been looking at, and are still available on eBay. At that price I would take the one with the most gold inlay on it.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, t.ryan said:

MA57

I take it that these are the 2 bayonets that we have been looking at, and are still available on eBay. At that price I would take the one with the most gold inlay on it.

Cheers.

What one would you choose?

Michael,

In the real estate world the byword is location, location, location.

In the world of collectibles, other things being equal, it is condition, condition, condition.

Regards,

JMB

They're in great condition, but way too expensive - simply crazy 

I'd want them with the matching scabbard and watertight provenance for that sort of price

Dan 

As JMB says, value and condition are strongly linked, so I’m surprised that they’re both listed at the same starting price given that one is clearly in much better condition than the other. Have to choose my words carefully as the Forum has rules around discussing eBay live listings but, for an example in the UK in the same condition as the nicer of the two, in my opinion the value would be no more than half the starting price listed here - add say another 25% for an example with first pattern scabbard with internal chape. I’ve discounted the frogs as they’re both reproductions. 

Pete

Edited by Pete_C