Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An oldie but a...

[OP: this may be of interest to those researching the Anzac theatre of operations.  Thanks to Jeff Pickerd for identifying the man's unit.  Jeff also has a copy of the unit's photo, with every man identified].

No. 597, Sapper Stephen Kelley, 3rd Light Horse Signals Troop

Gippsland Standard and Alberton Shire Representative (Vic), Friday 19 May 1916, page 4

The Divining Rod.

A TRUE TALE OF SUVLA BAY.

(By a Sapper.)

It is obvious to one reading General Ian Hamilton's report, especially those alluding to the Sulva Bay operations, that want of water was the chief cause of the fatal inertia shown at the critical moment. As this occurred in early August, and the troops were not withdrawn until late in December, it will interest many to know how the water difficulty was overcome. The Turks boasted that the Gallipoli Peninsula was untenable for a large body of troops owing to the scarcity of water. The arrangements made by the authorities for water distribution were on a vast scale. In the first place it was brought from Malta, being towed in huge barges to the improvised piers at Anzac. On the beach was erected a large steam pumping plant, which pumped the water from the barges to large tanks, on both the right and left of the Anzac position. Considering the number of troops, and this their only means of supply, the reader can hardly imagine the organisation and work this entailed. The slightest hitch means that we were without water, and that is what occurred immediately before and during the landing of the Sulva Bay party. For military reasons, I cannot say how many troops were engaged on the left flank, but the heat was intense, every man's water bottle was empty, and there was no immediate prospect of getting it refilled. The sun on this particular day seemed to have been even more fierce in power than usual, and every body was done up.

It was at this moment, when those in command were at their wit's end to know what to do, that someone remembered there was a man in the 3rd Light Horse Brigade, Australian Imperial Force, who was a water diviner. He proved to be Sapper S. Kelley, of our troop, who had joined the Signal Troop with myself in October, 1914. In private life he is a civil engineer, and senior partner of the firm of Kelley and Basset, of Melbourne. He was asked by the generals in command if he thought there was any indications of underground water in the area, and, if so, would he locate it. This interview, at Brigade headquarters, was in the evening.

Early next morning Kelley went out to what he called No. 2 Outpost. Within 100 yards of Divisional Headquarters he located water, and on it being opened up by the engineers it was found to give a volume of over 2000 gallons of pure, cold artesian water per hour. Two other wells were opened up in the immediate vicinity. By six o'clock that evening every man in that section had his water bottle filled. Within a week Kelley had located and erected pumps over 32 wells, which in the aggregate were giving sufficient water to issue 100,000 men with one gallon per day per man. This, in brief, is the reason why the Sulva Bay and advanced Anzac parties were able to hold their position. It should be borne in mind that not only was water required for the troops, but that there was also thousands of mules to be watered, and one mule will drink as much water as twenty men. There are many people who were sceptical of the divining rod, myself amongst them, but after this exhibition of a gift possessed by very few people the scepticism soon disappeared. The only instrument Mr. Kelley uses is a small piece of copper, wherewith he can tell, by holding it between his hands, how deep the water is; also if it is only a pocket of water, or a spring, or an under ground river. On every occasion where Mr. Kelley said there was water, the engineers always found it. In many instances they had, in their endeavors to find water, sunk shafts within 50 yards of the spot he had located, and gone considerably lower in the earth without success.

Mr. Kelley was personally congratulated by the highest in command, and strongly recommended by his own Brigade Staff, for suitable recognition for the splendid work he had done. He was also instrumental in opening up wells in Mudros and Cape Helles under the Director of Works of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force.

Mr. Kelley is now in London recovering from nervous strain brought on by his very strenuous work in finding and supplying us with water. We are all proud to know that one of our own troop has done such good work for his country, and consider he should be suitably rewarded.—"British Australasian."

Edited by Guest

Mates,

We should also by carefull about what Mr Kelley said. While its possible he was the one , as he was possible awarded a MID for it, his later life leds us to question his story, while I believe him there maybe others involved or this Walter Mitty may have come later?

I record this on Mr Kelley

KELLEY    Stephen    597    Spr    3 LH Sig Trp    HQ 5-15 att water finding detail CRE 6-15 MID - reason not stated possibly for finding water on Anzac? (G) to QMG branch AIF HQ UK 8-16 disch MU Ex HQ AASC (371) shown mentioned Boer War Service Scottish Horse and VC and DSO in records? arrested and disch for wearing medals not awarded AKA Thomas Stephen Kelly     56 IR    Engineer    28    Elwood Vic    28-11-14 20-8-14     disch in UK 2-6-17    Elwood Vic

Just another brick in the wall.

S.B

a few points regarding the article.

- it was allegedly written by a third party, who did not wish to be named.  That third party belonged to the same unit as Kelley.

- the article mentioned that water was brought in from Malta.  This is the first time I've heard mention of water from Malta being brought to Anzac.  I know during the latter part of the campaign that is was brought over from Egypt.   However, I do admit that I have no stock in the campaign from 25 April to early September; my interest lies in the last three months of the operations.

- it is also mentioned that Kelley helped to open up wells in both Mudros and Helles.   I find this intriguing, as you now have an Anzac assisting with the water supplies in two other areas of the war theatre.  

Truth or a fabricated yarn.  Who knows?  It still made for an interesting story, one worthy of being exposed to the harsh light of day.

Mate,

I have no dought he helped find water on Anzac, the story brings into question his life?

Later records show after discharge in the UK for epilepsey and double flat feet and possibly a nervous break down, but he came to the attention of the Govt in the UK when he came into trouble when campioned soldiers/Sailors rights in the UK post war

He may have claimed service in the Boer War and awarded the VC and DSO post war, but I am unsure about this?

This is shown in his AIF service records dated early 1914 when he joined the AASC, he claimed to be a Captain in the Scottish Horse and East Kent Regt in the Boer War and as a clerk from Maidstowe Kent. He appears disch at own request after soldier jacked up about him and wearing these medal ribbons?

He then reenlisted as Master Engineer but no mention of being a captain in the Boer war or those medals, and he went from a clerk to a master Engineer?

Strange man

S.B

Is this the same man as Vice Chairman, Westminster Branch of the British Legion in 1938 and Chairman, Metropolitan Area, by 1940? Killed 1942 when he stepped from a tram before it had stopped, at Brixton Hill in the blackout. Born 1885.  He has descendants.

21 hours ago, jay26thBn said:

Truth or a fabricated yarn.  Who knows? 

Graham Wilson "Bully Beef and Balderdash..." has a view.

@charlie962

Thanks for the link to Bully Beef... it certainly adds good background info about Kelley "the water diviner."  

BTW, according to Kelley's attestation paper, held by the National Archives of Australia, he was 35 years old when he enlisted on 20 August 1914.  By my calculations, this puts his year of birth at 1879.  He states he was born in Maidstone, Kent, England.  It is worth noting that on page 56 of his NAA record, his certificate of character notes that "his conduct and character while serving in the Australian Imperial Force has been, according to the records: VERY GOOD."  I assume this refers to the fact that he did not have a disciplinary record while with the AIF.

As for his movements after the war, I'll leave that to other GWF members to step in and "fill the gaps."