Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Uniform

Coppersend

I have a Photograph taken in 1911.

I know this was before the Great War but I am hoping someone can recognise the Uniform

to Help with Identification please

The Rider is not related to me its part of a Funeral possession

My G Uncles Funeral

Thank you for any help you can give me

Kind regards

Mel1908.jpg.32edb7b583afb3ff30e43e4e7c277cdd.jpg

1910.3 (2).jpg

The rider is a Sergeant Driver of the Royal Field Artillery wearing review order.

The other photo shows men of the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) at one of their principal depots, most of which were at “defended ports” reflecting their role in coastal defences and manning the largest calibre guns.

967FC5F6-C38F-4D4C-8A1E-D14DB853ED80.jpeg

2A5E88C9-9DD5-4A14-B58F-9C07AC0C7D3F.jpeg

DE1523F7-2D68-478C-B127-7E433F21B3FD.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for the information

Is there a way of identifying which Artillery regiment it would have been

Once again thank you

A great Forum with a quick response

26 minutes ago, Coppersend said:

Thank you for the information

Is there a way of identifying which Artillery regiment it would have been

Once again thank you

A great Forum with a quick response

You can read about Clarence Barracks via the following link.  At the time of the photo it held up to six battalions of garrison artillery (the RGA were uniquely for the artillery organised in companies and battalions rather than the batteries and brigades of field and horse artillery, as they were officially a dismounted corps): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Barracks  However, once deployed the heavy siege units of 1914 did become organised as batteries and brigades, leaving just the static coastal fortresses with companies.

The RGA gunners manned the following fortresses there: https://www.victorianforts.co.uk/rga.htm

My friend @MaxDmight be able to assist with the battalions in Clarence Bks at the time of the photo.  It might be that the SNCOs in your photo are depot permanent staff (who maintained the infrastructure and facilities of the barracks).

75C8D497-101B-473E-AFA2-BFAB438E4AF9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank You it all relates to my G Uncle.

Is this the correct Forum for this type of Information ?

He was killed in an explosion in 1910 I have photos of the funeral and the Men in his Unit

Not sure if it was ok to put it here.  Someone may have an interest and knowledge of the event

Mel 

8 minutes ago, Coppersend said:

Thank You it all relates to my G Uncle.

Is this the correct Forum for this type of Information ?

He was killed in an explosion in 1910 I have photos of the funeral and the Men in his Unit

Not sure if it was ok to put it here.  Someone may have an interest and knowledge of the event

Mel 

Strictly speaking the forum is for WW1, but there is usually some leeway for initial responses outside that timeframe, with subsequent communication via private messaging within the forum.  

There were some famous accidents within the RGA including one at Shoeburyness where the experimental gunnery took place. 

A5E3B538-495E-4768-BDDD-BCB412F6012E.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Strictly speaking the forum is for WW1, but there is usually some leeway for initial responses outside that timeframe, with subsequent communication via private messaging within the forum.  

There were some famous accidents within the RGA including one at Shoeburyness where the experimental gunnery took place. 

M

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Just now, Coppersend said:

M

Mine was about an Explosion at Spittlebank Fort in Portsmouth. 209732161_538412413862030_845136860381223294_n.jpg.efec4776cffdcfe3dd68e91efa19218c.jpg

12 minutes ago, Coppersend said:

M

Mine was about an Explosion at Spittlebank Fort in Portsmouth. 209732161_538412413862030_845136860381223294_n.jpg.efec4776cffdcfe3dd68e91efa19218c.jpg

That is very interesting and seems to refer to a breech explosion where the shell has exploded in the breech before it could be fired. This was usually due to a faulty charge that became overheated from previous firing and so exploded in one flash, often leading to the barrel splitting and showering the gun detachment with shards of jagged steel.  The blast alone would be enough to kill those in close proximity.  The RGA were particularly vulnerable because their guns and thus the shells that they fired were so large.  You can read more about the RGA and their stations across the then British empire here: https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Royal_Garrison_Artillery 

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Strictly speaking the forum is for WW1, but there is usually some leeway for initial responses outside that timeframe

That leeway is if there is a connection to WW1. As a 1910 funeral is not a connection so I'm afraid I'll have to lock this.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

with subsequent communication via private messaging within the forum.  

Glen

GWF Admin Team

• spof locked this topic