Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with warship identification

Sgt Stripes

My friend found this photograph in his shed. Can anyone identify its name or class of ship. Many thanks

IMG_20210707_093028.jpg

IMG_20210707_093053.jpg

IMG_20210707_093042.jpg

I'm no expert. It's Japanese, I would say either the Kongo or the Hiei

Sorry, could also be the Haruna or the Kirisma, there were 4 ships in the class, laid down 1911-12, completed 194-15

13 minutes ago, butler said:

I'm no expert. It's Japanese, I would say either the Kongo or the Hiei

Sorry, could also be the Haruna or the Kirisma, there were 4 ships in the class, laid down 1911-12, completed 194-15

Certainly a Kongo class battlecruiser. They can be distinguished by the shape of the turrets and (at least when built) by the grouping of the funnels but I can't rmember how. I will look at my books, but I am sure that someone will be able to identify the ship before I find it.

RM

Kongo, the first of the class, was built in Barrow-in-Furness, and looks to me like the photo was taken prior to its conversion into a battleship sometime during the thirties.

MB

A J Watts book, Japanese Warships WW2, Ian Allan shows three pictures of Kongo class Battleships, the earliest dated 1934.

All have a Tripod Mainmast reduced in height and no Foremast.

So, agree Kongo class before 1934 is a safe bet.

I think not Kongo, as Kongo's funnels were more evenly spaced. There were two major rebuidings. I think this was taken between the end of WW1 and the first rebuildings which started from 1925 onwards (depending which ship).

RM

Both Kongo and Hiei got the 'shoehorn' on the fore funnel. I don't believe the other two got this before the fore-funnel removed, but sources to hand simply say nothing about any changes before fore-funnel removal on them. Agree with rolt968, so this looks more like Hiei. Either way mid to late 1920s.

Edited by The Treasurer
sentence garble!

Thank you all for your replies. To find the class and country is a real bonus. 

Somewhere I read that there was a "knuckle" in the shape of the main turrets of two of them and not in the others. Unforunately I can't find where I read that nor do I remmeber which pair had the "knuckle"

RM

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

And this is IJN Kongo

04953CB8-78E5-44D9-8357-1139916D9988.jpeg

Excellent! I don't think I have seen a photo of Kongo at that stage.

RM

I thought I had the answer.

According to Sturton's All the World's Battleships, the spotting top was removed from the main mast of Hiei when the smoke hood was added. However looking at the picture of Kongo, the main mast spotting top has also been removed which makes me wonder if it was removed from all of the class. (The period in question seems something of a problem in the book as Sturton himself wrote the the section covering Japanese battleships from 1922 onwards while some one else wrote the section up to 1922.)

Having said all that. I think it most probably is Hiei.

RM

Final confirmation!?

The two ships with the "knuckle" in the main turrets were Kongo and Hiei. So if the main turrets are the same shape in the original picture and the picture of Kongo, it means that the original picture is Hiei. (Which I think it is.)

RM

Edited by rolt968

Great information. Many thanks for looking and taking the time to post.