Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AEF Siberia

Grady57

Hi To all My grandfather was Harvey K. Redman, serial # 323485 Wagoner Ambulance Co. #4  27th  Infantry, AEF, Siberia, 1918., Fort William McKinley , Razal PI, Walled City PI 1917. I'm a retired veteran (live in UK) doing research on my grandfather’s military service.  I work on projects to reproduce scale replicas of military items or events that are important to a veteran’s family military history. I have a passion for all military history. My current project is building a Mule drawn Ambulance used by the 4th in Siberia. I do allot of research for my work, so any information on horse/Mule drawn Ambulance’s would be greatly appreciated. Any service or nationality is fine. You can never have enough reference material.

Regards

Mike

HKR1.jpg

The US national WW I Museum and Memorial may be able to help you on ambulance info. They have a youtube presentation on the US intervention in Siberia that I didn't care for.

Mike Grobbel has this picture of wagoners in Siberia, and one of the hospital at Archangel.

Grobbel.jpg.60803a6dc8551beeb03a9e6a3fce8863.jpg

Lots of ambulance wagons on IWM of course, e.g. 

IWM.jpg.798d71e3f6865d3cf0db29cf57a25b4f.jpg

Edited by Open Bolt

I don't know if these refer directly, but they may be of interest:

Grow MC. Surgeon Grow: an American in the Russian fighting. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1918. https://archive.org/details/surgeongrowameri00grow

Britnieva, M. One woman's story. London: Barker, 1934; Forgotten Books, 2018. https://archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-rbsc_one-womans-story_DK265B673871934-18704

sJ

Edited by seaJane

There are many books on the Russian Civil War here are two that deal with the war in Siberia:

Remembering a forgotten war Serge Petroff

The Civil War in Siberia Jon D Smele

Thank you all for the response, just the kind of information I’m looking for.

YouTube AEF stories, agree with James I did not care for them, They all seemed to be missing the point, yes politicians & political agendas are always with us, however soldiers go where there sent, my Grandfather was a professional solider, like most soldiers of the day his biggest concerns, food, weather, and when do we get out of here. Even the force commander Gen. Graves wrote” I was in command of the U.S. troops sent Siberia and I must admit I do not know what the United States was trying to do”.

Thanks for the pictures and articles, some I do not have, I have been  in contact with Mr  Michael Homer  who wrote "The British Army Ambulance". He was very helpful.

James I will get the books you recommended, I have the original draft manuscript of ” The Siberian Sojourn “ by historian Edith M. Faulstich , plus a signed copy Ms Faulstich gave to my Grandfather.

Again I will take all the research material I can get. I’m committed to telling the story of the men and women who servered, history remembered is history not forgotten

Mike

Glad to be of help Grady if you look up Russian civil War on wiki you will find more book on the Russian Civil War  some on line and this site Book section has some as well.

other books on transport:

American Military Vehicles of WW I Albert Munz

Discovering Horse drawn transport of the British Army D.J.Smith

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all finally  getting started on the actual construction of the field ambulance, Does anyone know where I can get detailed building plans for MK 5 type , I currently have basic information, I really need plans or pictures with more detail any leads would be of great help