Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gleeson or Gluson RAMC – Died 1924?

Noor

Hi all,

I am stuck with the research in respect of 62232 Private John Joseph GLEESON or GLUSON, RAMC.

I can see he had a two Medal Index Card issued, one for a 1915 Star that was named J.J.Gluson and confirms that he landed in France 23-Nov-1915. Other MIC is for a BWM and VM pair (same service number and confirms his first name as a John Joseph). Also there is two WW1 Pension Ledger cards for him but sadly no information where he was from or anything extra (at least I wasn’t able to read out much there). One of them however has a stamp “DEAD” and a date 4-Mar-1924 next to it. Unfortunately I can’t see Medal Roll inputs (looks like there are two for both family names as well for a star and a pair). I assume he was Irish but can’t confirm where he was from.

Anyhow, is there any way to find out more about him, what was his name for sure, where he was from, where he served and did he passed away?

Many thanks,

Noor

'Dead' means the claim ended, it's not necessarily through death .

His pension was being paid in region 13 so that was Southern Ireland.

Craig

Thank you for clarification! How specific that Region 13 could be, is it like Co. Cork or just part of Southern Ireland?

Got an answer:

Region 1 – Scotland: approximately 1,600 ledgers
Region 2 – Northern: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Region 3 – North West: approximately 2,400 ledgers
Region 4 – Yorkshire: approximately 1,600 ledgers
Region 5 – Wales: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Region 6 – West Midlands: approximately 1,400 ledgers
Region 7 – East Midlands: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Region 8 – South West: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Regions 9 and 10: Eastern and Metropolitan - probably merged into Region 11 
Region 11 – Eastern/Metropolitan/South East: not in existence; may have been destroyed
Region 12 – Ulster: approximately 400 ledgers
Region 13 – Southern Ireland: approximately 600 ledgers

Edited by Noor

32 minutes ago, Noor said:

Thank you for clarification! How specific that Region 13 could be, is it like Co. Cork or just part of Southern Ireland?

Got an answer:

Region 1 – Scotland: approximately 1,600 ledgers
Region 2 – Northern: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Region 3 – North West: approximately 2,400 ledgers
Region 4 – Yorkshire: approximately 1,600 ledgers
Region 5 – Wales: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Region 6 – West Midlands: approximately 1,400 ledgers
Region 7 – East Midlands: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Region 8 – South West: approximately 1,000 ledgers
Regions 9 and 10: Eastern and Metropolitan - probably merged into Region 11 
Region 11 – Eastern/Metropolitan/South East: not in existence; may have been destroyed
Region 12 – Ulster: approximately 400 ledgers
Region 13 – Southern Ireland: approximately 600 ledgers

And, if you look here, you can see the map I located for use in the article.
https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/understanding-the-ledger-indexing/

Craig

His two medal rolls don't add anything. The roll for the pair was created only a month after the star roll but obviously two different surnames. Both typed up in Woking and countersigned by the same officer.

No evidence that any error was noted which is a little odd. Presumably his star was to Gluson and the pair to Gleeson, they weren't returned so he must have been OK with that.

You'd think that with a star issued to Gluson someone would wonder about his pair entitlement with no such name in the roll but same number as Gleeson.

His pair MIC has a handwritten date of 17/7/1972. These dates can be for a variety of reasons, one being correspondence with pension office regarding a change to the claim. Sometimes the dates tally to a death.

TEW

That's some timing! I just discovered the same few minutes ago!

Thank you so much Tim!

RAMC.jpg

His is mentioned in the 141st FA war diary on the 26th Oct 1916.

Source National Archives

image.png.65c756214cfac65d08752033eae0b05c.png

This WD is well worth downloading it lists the the coming and goings of all ranks.

Edited by Woodnbits
Typo and added a line

He appears on a War Office Casualty list on 26/11/18. That give his Nok address as Capparoe.

So this is only relevant 1901 census I can find - if so only born in 1901! Probably not him therefore

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003894695/

There are other possibles elsewhere in Ireland

There is a birth registered for a John Joseph Gleeson in nearby Nenagh - about 5 miles from Capparoe - in 2Q 1893

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you so much for your help and an input! Now, if he was underage soldier then that would explain as well enlistment under the incorrect name Gluson?

Many thanks again for your help Woodnbits and Mark1959!

If the Capparoe birth previously mentioned is the right man that makes him 21 when entering a theatre of war in Nov 1915. No evidence of being underage.

I did wonder if he attested as Gluson and earned the 15 Star as such. I assume the Nov 1918 casualty list is for Gleeson, and he's Gleeson in the diary of Oct 1916.

If he did attest as Gluson he must have confessed as to his real name which was then officially altered (by Oct 1916). The medal rolls are both late 1919 so they should really be going by Gleeson by then. An admin error could have crept in from an embarkation roll but usually these name changes are noted.

Have you checked the 3/MGC diary yet? I assume they mean he was RAMC attached to 3/MGC otherwise it's a bit of a change in role!

TEW

• Admin

Medical record for him GSW side 31st Ambulance Train admitted 13/4/1917 entrained Warlincourt and detrained 14/4/1917 Abbeville FMP link

Edit: clearly reads Gleeson, been indexed as Gluson

39 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Medical record for him GSW side 31st Ambulance Train admitted 13/4/1917 entrained Warlincourt and detrained 14/4/1917 Abbeville FMP link

Edit: clearly reads Gleeson, been indexed as Gluson

Thanks David. I think this is a different John Gleeson from MGC with the service number 31675. He has a separate MIC as well on Ancestry.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Noor said:

Thanks David. I think this is a different John Gleeson from MGC with the service number 31675. He has a separate MIC as well on Ancestry.

Sorry, my mistake!!