Remembered Today:

8,842,000 British involved WWI, 1,115,000 died

Skipman

29 minutes ago, Skipman said:

This is the relevant part of the General Annual Return1913-1919

image.png

Craig

Craig,

The missing are missing in that tabulation : forgive the play on words, but it’s very important as an attribute of the final death toll.

The deaths are for confirmed deaths only : there would be, I think, another 130,000 posted as missing in action, and these were undoubtedly soldiers who had been killed but whose fate had not been accounted for in that General Annual Return.

Phil

Yes, that table was deaths confirmed within the relevant dates. Another 99,868 men were reported missing and had not been recorded as being released from being POWs.

Craig

An earlier post mentioned 50% of AIF probably were UK born. The attached newspaper report from 1929 shows the figure was just below 20%. Being 1929 I don't know in the report if the UK included Ireland or whether that was counted as Foreign Country.

However the summary is that 77% were born in Australia. I'm guessing that if you used the modern Census question of whether you had a parent born overseas and included those, I wouldn't be surprised if the number for UK born (plus 1st generation immigrant) would be very much higher.

Greg

AIF Birth Statistics.pdf

On 08/07/2021 at 10:13, ss002d6252 said:

Yes, that table was deaths confirmed within the relevant dates. Another 99,868 men were reported missing and had not been recorded as being released from being POWs.

Craig

Thanks, Craig.

That still leaves a shortfall of thirty thousand plus  : I expect that their names were added to the confirmed dead in the following couple of years. 

Phil

On 08/07/2021 at 01:01, JMB1943 said:

Also, don't forget that ca. 50% of both the AIF and CEF were British-born.

Regards,

JMB

JMB, where did you find this stat?

Less than 20% of the AIF were born in the UK

1 hour ago, Fromelles said:

JMB, where did you find this stat?

Less than 20% of the AIF were born in the UK

Yes.

That was demonstrated 3 posts ago.

Since the GWF, memoirs and other books are my principal sources of info, my source was one of these; I don't have a chapter and verse reference.

Regards,

JMB

[EDIT: I believe that I have seen the 50% number more than once, so am surprised at the official number of 23% quoted above].

Edited by JMB1943

On 11/07/2021 at 02:52, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes.

That was demonstrated 3 posts ago.

Hmmm .... no it wasn't ... read my question

36 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

Hmmm .... no it wasn't ... read my question

Yes it was.

I wasn't responding to your question. Merely showing that the 'less than 20% figure' had already been quoted by augmauns.

On 16/07/2021 at 21:29, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I wasn't responding to your question. Merely showing that the 'less than 20% figure' had already been quoted by augmauns.

Heaven forbid ...