Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Duckworth

Guest stevebec

Guest stevebec

Can anyone help with info on this soldier?

Henry Duckworth 12th Bn Kings Liverpool Regt.

No- 13140

He was my grandfathers brother and the only photo I have of him shows him in the UK with a horse.

This info (name unit number) come via his red dog tag which is all I have of him.

He came from Manchester UK.

I notice on your site that the 12th BN was part of the 20th Division so I don't know if he served with them or not.

I am told that most UK records were destroyed during the second war so before I ask for that can anyone tell me if they are still there or can they be placed on line like the Australian WWI service records without cost? from the Australian National archives.

Thanks for any insight

S.B

Steve,

You don't say if he was a survivor of the war or not - though as the CWGC has just one H Duckworth ( a Herbert, in fact - below) with the The King's (Liverpool Regiment) that he probably did survive. Survivors tend to be harder to track - though it is surprising what does appear from members of this forum. Do you know when he was born or when he may have signed up or been conscripted?

Do you know where he worked - there may be a workplace roll of honour (those served are sometimes listed a well as those who died)? The volume which goes by the name of Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour includes many workplace rolls - but is a pain to go thorough - lots and lots of pages.....though this would be easier if we know where he worked prior to enlistment (if you can work this out someone on the forum may do this for you. There are seperate threads (several) on the topic of this book which is being put on CD-ROM and indexed (part done already - but not the part you want) by the genealogy fraternity.

Good Luck!

Martin

In Memory of

H DUCKWORTH

Private

13th Bn ., The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

who died on

Wednesday 16 August 1916 . Age 25 .

Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Duckworth, of Radcliffe, Manchester.

Cemetery: GUILLEMONT ROAD CEMETERY, GUILLEMONTSomme, France

Grave or Reference Panel Number: IX. B. 4.

Guest stevebec

Sorry Mate,

The personal info as I understand is this.

His two brothers had travel to Australia (one my grandfather) and joinned the AIF, Matthew in Egypt with the LH and George with the 28Bn AIF in France and was killed at Mont St Quentin in September 1918.

Their NOK documents show them to be Henry and Annie Duckworth of Cottesloe Western Australia or from Ancoats Manchester UK.

The two boys lived in Cottesloe WA but their perants and brother Henry were still living in Manchester when the war started.

Henry survived the war and later came out the Australia but soon disappeared around Kalgoolie WA living as a hermit and drunk (so I am told) and died.

I surpose the war caught up with him in the end.

And with most family's the war didn't end in 1918

S.B

Hi Steve

I have the 20th Div. History, I can give you breif details of 12th King's but it may be some time before I can get around to it, let me know.

Regards

Annette

Hi Steve,

Where do you get your information that Henry Duckworth served in 12 KLR with No 13140. According to my records this number was allocated to L Sgt Charles Farrell who was killed with 11 KLR. Are you sure that he was a Kingsman?

Joe

Guest stevebec

Joe,

Yes its on his Red fibre ID tag .

Its worn in places but it has 13140 around the string hole, Duckworth across the middle with RC under the name.

What appears to be 12.K L.POOL on the bottom.

This all I have but an old photo in uniform with a horse

S.B

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steve,

the name Henry Duckworth has stuck in my mind since you started this thread, have you ever advertised for his medals in medal tracker or mentioned this name elsewhere?

Ian (miffed that my brain isn't functioning!!)

Guest stevebec

Interesting Ian,

No I didn't know if he even applied for his medals?

Concidering he came strait out to Australia after the war (I think) he may not have picked them up.

My other grandfather also didn't pick up his Australian medals and he would wear only his ribbons. After he died in the sixties I wrote for his medals from the Australian goverment and my Grand daughter has them how.

S.B

Steve,

Checked the Medal Index Cards at the NA (PRO) on Sat but was unable to track down a Henry Duckworth with No 13140.

I have gone back and checked the original War Grave Register for the KLR man with the same number as Duckworth and confirmed that the numbers are the same - this is very unusual for this KLR number block. I'm afraid it will have to be put down as yet another puzzle from the Great War!

Out of interest could you scan an image of the tag?

Regards

Joe

Guest stevebec

I don't have the scaner for that sorry.

The ID Tag is hard to read in parts because of sweat stains that turned in a dark colour but the number could be 13440 not 13140.

The 1 and 3 - ( 1 or 4 hard to read) - then 4 and 0 are seen

Duckworth is mostly there and RC under the name.

(1 or I is shown) 2 K. L.Pool is seen.

I hope you can make sence of what I have just written?

Can you check the new number?

Thanks for your help.

S.B

Steve,

Got him - he is No 13440 and is indeed 12 KLR. However his Christian name is different from the one you give. So it seems this tag is not the right one for your relative assuming that his initial is clear. Can you confirm the initial? Was your relative known by any other names or had another initial?

Joe

Guest stevebec

Sorry mate,

I don't know his real name.

The ID Tag does not show any Initals on it.

He was always know as Henry to me but he died twenty years before I was born. I believed he was named after his father?

His brother who died in France was know to me as edward but his real name was George Edward Duckworth.

S.B

Steve,

Your relative was Pte John Duckworth who enlisted in Liverpool on 27/8/14 as No 13440 and after training was drafted to France on 20/8/15 with the 12th Bn King's (Liverpool) Regt. I have no info on him being discharged so it seems he may have served with 12 KLR throughout the war.

Regards

Joe

Guest stevebec

Many Thanks for your interest.

I will send away for his service records right away. Hopefully they will still be there?

S.B :D

Hi Steve

Now thats its been sorted and you know he was 12/King's, my offer of breif details from 20th Div. History still stand, let me know yes or no.

Regards

Annette

Guest stevebec

Yes thankyou,

I did buy the Graham Maddocks book on the Liverpool Pals a number of years ago to check for him.

But I did't know then, he was in the 12th Bn and I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for the offer

S.B

OK Steve

I will email you with info., may be a week, I still have not got around to sending info. to another Pal.

Regards

Annette