Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non-Clinical VAD Records - Do they exist?

Shiny

Hi All,

I've been researching a couple in my family tree for a while now and thought at first the young lady had been a nurse at Slough VAD hospital however I have found absolutley no trace of evidence to back my theory up. I'm now wondering if she might have worked there in a non clinical role such as a cook, clerk, letter writer or something along those lines.

Does anyone know if there would be any records held anywhere for staff or volunteers at the hospitals who were ther in these non clinical roles?

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Cooks, laundry workers, general duties are noted on the VAD cards so they include the non-clinical.

I posted images of female 'staff at a UK hospital enquiring after their role. Some turned out to simply be civilians employed with no official status as VADs or similar.

TEW

Thanks for the help everyone,

The lady in question is called Jessie Seymour, born 22 Aug 1898 in Slough.

I know she is not recorded on the red cross VAD website but her dad (James Seymour) is, he was a porter at that hospital which I know is non clinical but I thought it may have been for women then or even down to the role they did.

This is a thread where I was researching her future husband:

I know for definate this is the correct lady now as I have the marriage certificate. I know she and her dad were living in a street that was just behind the hospital and I also know the couple had a daughter who went on to be a nurse.

I have lots of circumstantial evidence making me think if she wasn't a nurse then she was volunteering there but it would be nice to be able to prove it.

Michael