Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Nelson KIA 28th June 1915 Gallipoli

D Rider

Pte W Nelson, 5th Royal Scots (Queens Edinburgh Rifles) was a former resident of the house I now live in, he was a teacher before he joined up , 1 of 4 sons to do so from this 1 house........

One of them (John) lost an eye on the 18th of May 1915, the above William was KIA  the following month, I've found no mention of the other 2 brothers being wounded, they both survived unscathed (physically)..... 

John is 1st right back row with his brother William standing next to him (added into the photo).

NelsonFam - Copy.jpg

Newspaper.jpg

16 hours ago, D Rider said:

Pte W Nelson, 5th Royal Scots (Queens Edinburgh Rifles)

If you haven't seen it already, William Nelson, 2754, has a partial service record, heavily water damaged, here on FindmyPast and presumably also on Ancestry.

There is also a RedCross Enquiry card that gives his Company as 'Y' , of the 1/5th Bn

John Nelson, 2453 and 200435, has a surviving record here and further copy  here

Do you have service nubers for the other two brothers ?

Charlie

how do Charlie,

yes I've got the remenants of Williams records, and some of John. the links don't work for me as I'm not signed £ up.  A relative gave me a copy of envelopes with john and will's service numbers and units.

William was C Coy 1/5th going by the handwriting on it ?

Pte Alex Nelson 19794 52nd Div (cyclist coy) served in the MEF going by some of the photos.

Pte Ferguson Nelson 59662 (I think this is him) 13th and 17th R scots but his cap badge looks like Lanarkshire Yeomanry in the photo.

32 minutes ago, D Rider said:

William was C Coy 1/5th going by the handwriting on it ?

Where was that on the record- I could not see it ? Just to confuse things, RedCross Enquiries include several men of W,X,Y and Z Cos and also C and D Cos of 5th Bn ! I think sometimes the reinforcements from 2/5th Bn are identified by their old Co ?

War Diary doesn't seem to differentiate.

Charlie

• spof changed the title to Pte William Nelson 5Bn Royal Scots KIA 28th June 1915 Gallipoli
  • 2 months later...

Pte William Nelson is named on the Carluke War Memorial (there are 2 War Memorials in Carluke - No 1 at the Cross, and No 2 in Carluke Old Cemetery).

William is named on No 2 (see attached photo).

I know this, because my grandfather (who also lived in Kilncadzow) is also named on the No 2 Memorial.

William attested on 30th November, 1914.

His Medal Roll Index Card (MIC) shows that he went to the Balkans (Theatre of War 2B) on 25th May, 1915, more commonly referred as Gallipoli and Dardanelles.

He was awarded The 1914-15 Star Medal (not to be confused with the 1914 Star Medal), The Victory Medal and The British War Medal.

The Medal Rolls and Service Record show that he was KIA on 28th June, 1915.

He is listed in the 'UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War' (SDGW).

His  "Soldier's Effects" record shows that his father Ferguson received his Outstanding Pay of £3/10/2, and a War Gratuity of £3/0/0.

His "Dependant's Pension Card" shows that his mother Helen, 8 Haywood, Lanark, applied for a pension on 30.1.19, and was paid £0/5/0 per week from 6.11.18. The card also notes Ferguson Nelson (his father).
An additional Address Card shows his mother Helen's address as 8 Haywood, Lanark.

William is named on The Scottish National War Memorial (SNWM) in Edinburgh Castle.
https://www.snwm.org/roll-search/?id=484794&searchid=da37537fa696320c2d1e8cca162c4e7e&page=1

William is named on The Commonwealth War Grave Commission (CWGC) and is commemorated at Helles Memorial, Turkey.
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/689218/william-nelson/

Kindest Regards,
Tom. 

Carluke War Memorial - Carluke Old Cemetery.jpg

Carluke War Memorial - Carluke Old Cemetery - William Nelson.jpg

• 7 months later...

Pte W Nelson, 5th Royal Scots (Queens Edinburgh Rifles) was a former resident of the house I now live in, he was a teacher before he joined up , 1 of 4 sons to do so from this 1 house........

One of them (John) lost an eye on the 18th of May 1915, the above William was KIA  the following month, I've found no mention of the other 2 brothers being wounded, they both survived unscathed (physically)..... 

John is 1st right back row with his brother William standing next to him (added into the photo).

NelsonFam - Copy.jpg

Newspaper.jpg

• Admin

The one with his hand on fathers shoulder is sporting a wound stripe. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

The one with his hand on fathers shoulder is sporting a wound stripe. 

So probably relates to the wounding in which John lost his left eye.

The brother standing on his right, (behind the father) appears to be wearing the Imperial Service Tablet on his right breast pocket. That would tie in with him being William and serving with a Territorial Force Unit like the 5th Battalion, Royal Scots.

I don't think either of the other two are badged as Royal Scots, but I'm way out of my comfort zone already :)
Perhaps @FROGSMILE can cast an eye over the two brothers on the left of the picture as we look at it.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

• Admin

Threads merged. 

On 30/06/2022 at 15:52, PRC said:

So probably relates to the wounding in which John lost his left eye.

The brother standing on his right, (behind the father) appears to be wearing the Imperial Service Tablet on his right breast pocket. That would tie in with him being William and serving with a Territorial Force Unit like the 5th Battalion, Royal Scots.

I don't think either of the other two are badged as Royal Scots, but I'm way out of my comfort zone already :)
Perhaps @FROGSMILE can cast an eye over the two brothers on the left of the picture as we look at it.

Cheers,
Peter

I think that the badges are:

1.  Two soldiers right - 5th Royal Scots (QER - with black buttons), and Cameron Highlanders.

2.  Two soldiers left - Lanarkshire Yeomanry and Army Cyclist Corps.

8C49D2FB-AA16-4050-9422-2DD2A5A698DE.jpeg

AB1A1035-AD49-4DAB-8DED-6C12759032E0.jpeg

BE3E8D93-1E82-4CEA-9179-3BFF3863227B.jpeg

FD784F36-6B13-49FE-9612-2E207658851C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE