Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naming of great war campaign medals

collectorsguide

I am looking for information on where and how the 1914 and 1914/15 stars were named. These questions I need answering:

*Were the stars named by the manufacturers of the stars ie WRIGHT and SON; VAUGHTONS;GAUNT and SON; etc ?

*Or were they sent to naming shops ,if so where were they ?

*Has anyone got newspaper/magazine pictures (or articles)of medals being made or named ?

Has anyone got Mint Papers ie Annual Reports with info on WW 1 Medals ?

Thanks, Howard

Howard, You're knowledge of these things are much greater than mine but I always thought that they were impressed by the Royal Mint.

On 28/06/2021 at 17:19, collectorsguide said:

Has anyone got Mint Papers ie Annual Reports with info on WW 1 Medals ?

Have you tried contacting the Royal Mint Museum?

I guess the mint was still in London (Tower Hill?) at that time, only moving to Wales in the late 60s.

Thanks for replying Guys. I am ok with the naming of the BWM/VM,This was done by Wright and son of Edgware London at the Woolwich Factory.

I was hoping someone had info as to where the stars were named and if they were named as part of the contract for manufacturing them.

I have tried the Mint in the recent past,however they were unable to help.I think the answers I seek may be in the MINT/20/Papers at TNA if I can get at them. best w, Howard

Howard, I don't think that we have actually been of any help. Someone on this Forum is known to have a "naming machine". I wonder if the manufacturer of that machine is known and to whom they supplied. Obviously that machine was for the naming on round flans and that stars would have required something more akin to a press but they may have been made by the same manufacturer and still have records. Jim

Hi Jim, I think the answer lies in the detail of the contracts for the 14 and 15 stars

.A friend of mine had his own MSM named on the MOD WW1 Naming machine.He took a video of it operating so I was able to view it frame by frame and describe how it worked in Vol 1 of the Companion.

I will keep on doggedly seeking the answer,I normally get there in the end !!!!! 

best w, Howard