Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Identification Help

satty29

Hi, would anyone be able to help identify the unit of this solider? It is shown on the absent voters list for 1918. A search of the service number shows nothing on the medals index and I can't seem to find anything on Google. Any help appreciated.

Unknown Unit.png

It looks like the Household Battalion formed from surplus Reservists of the Household Cavalry regiment.  Perhaps a clerk not understanding the abbreviations and making transposition errors.

B1E6E3CC-1238-4F3F-A5AE-6C369A6216CC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm not sure about the "Bal", but wondering if its the 381st Home Service Labour Company, which had previously been part of a Middlesex Regiment Labour Battalion.

Much of the information on the 1918 Absent Voters List was provided by other members of the same household, so plenty of scope for mistakes.

As a home service unit, unless a man was honourably discharged prior to the official end of the war and entitled to the Silver War Badge, or had previously served overseas with another unit, there would be no Medal Index Card.

Hope that's not a red herring.

Cheers
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

There is a pension card for Percy Henry Moseley 6th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry from Northampton 

Another card shows previously 1654.

Edited by Mark1959

Some men went from reserve cavalry regiments to the Household Battalion to make up numbers.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Service number looks to be 145771.

If he is Labour Corps then no MiC or surviving service records for anyone with that service number. CWGC has no-one recorded who was serving with the Labour Corps and had a service number starting 145.

If he is Household Battalion then no MiC or surviving service records for anyone with that service number. CWGC has no-one recorded who was serving with the Household Battalion and had a service number starting 145.

Looking for nearby Labour Corps numbers in the MiC and Service records:-
145760 Private Ernest Beasley - MiC for British War Medal and Victory Medal so saw overseas service in a Theatre of War at some point on or after the 1st January 1916.
145761 Sapper Arthur Bowman, ex Royal Berkshire and Devonshire Regiments, subsequently Royal Engineers
145765 Pioneer Frederick Calloway, ex Royal Berkshire and Devonshire Regiments, subsequently Royal Engineers
145766 Lance Corporal Thomas Brown, ex 10th Hussars and Royal Fusiliers.
145769 Private Ernest Armond Christian. MiC is for the Silver War Badge - transcription of Roll on FindMyPast is silent on whether he saw overseas service. He was discharged 26th November 1917 as no longer physically fit.
145775 Private Edward Delaney, Labour Corps ex Royal Berkshire. No trace as yet of overseas service - SWB Roll transcript on FindMyPast is silent on that. Discharged 11th June 1918 as no longer physically fit for service as a result of sickness. Received the Silver War Badge.
145780 Private Benjamin Frost ex Devonshire Regiment, then Royal Engineers and then Royal Engineers IWT. Surviving service record shows he transferred from the 19th Company, 3rd Labour Battalion, Labour Corps to the Royal Engineers on the 2nd June 1917. It is not clear when he went from the unit he originally enlisted withj, the 2/5th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment into the Labour Corps.
Thats all there is for the block 145760 to 145780.

Looking for nearby Household Battalion numbers in the MiC and Service records there is not a single match in the block 145760 to 145780. A quick look through the MiC records for the Household Battalion, (first 30 out of 2,262 matches in the National Archive catalogue), doesn't produce any matches with a service number more than four digits. Six digit service numbers at the time of the preparation of the 1918 AVL were normally associated with other ranks serving in Territorial Force Infantry Battalions, (of which the Household Battalion was not a part), or the Corps - like Engineers, Medical, Service, Artillery and Labour.

Looks like the man needs to be investigated as much as AVL entry.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

1 hour ago, PRC said:

I'm not sure about the "Bal", but wondering if its the 381st Home Service Labour Company, which had previously been part of a Middlesex Regiment Labour Battalion.

I would agree that whoever gave the detail for the AVL intended this to be for a Labour Corps unit and that 381st Home Service Labour Company is that unit.

According to Starling & Lee’s “No Labour, No Battle” the number 145771 would have been from the block issued in May 1917 to the 3rd (Home Service) Labour Battalion and which subsequently formed Labour Companies in the autumn of 1917.  381 Labour Company was formed at Didcot.

Steve

11 minutes ago, SteveE said:

I would agree that whoever gave the detail for the AVL intended this to be for a Labour Corps unit and that 381st Home Service Labour Company is that unit.

According to Starling & Lee’s “No Labour, No Battle” the number 145771 would have been from the block issued in May 1917 to the 3rd (Home Service) Labour Battalion and which subsequently formed Labour Companies in the autumn of 1917.  381 Labour Company was formed at Didcot.

Steve

Makes sense to me.  I think that Peter and you have uncovered the most likely provenance.

On 27/06/2021 at 21:55, satty29 said:

Balsall Heath, Birmingham

The Service Record of 17782 Pte Henry Roland Cook DCLI shows he is living in 163 Ombersley Road, Balsall Heath Birmingham in 1915 .......  he joins up in Jan 1915 is medically discharged a week later as unfit.  That's two factual hits (name and location) that you mention and seems like a likely start point.  A third factor is a poor medical grade would have made this man a candidate for review and enlistment in a HS Labour Battalion later in the War...... 381 HS Labour Company...... 381 H.S.L. Bal.  HS accrues no medallic award therefore no MIC as 145771.

Edited by TullochArd

On 28/06/2021 at 19:20, TullochArd said:

The Service Record of 17782 Pte Henry Roland Cook DCLI shows he is living in 163 Ombersley Road, Balsall Heath Birmingham in 1915 .......  he joins up in Jan 1915 is medically discharged a week later as unfit.  That's two factual hits (name and location) that you mention and seems like a likely start point.  A third factor is a poor medical grade would have made this man a candidate for review and enlistment in a HS Labour Battalion later in the War...... 381 HS Labour Company...... 381 H.S.L. Bal.  HS accrues no medallic award therefore no MIC as 145771.

I have had a look at the service record of the man you mentioned but it doesn't seem to match my Henry Cook. It seems like he is one of the many soldiers with little/no record left. Thanks for taking the time to help.

11 hours ago, satty29 said:

I have had a look at the service record of the man you mentioned but it doesn't seem to match my Henry Cook. It seems like he is one of the many soldiers with little/no record left. Thanks for taking the time to help.

OK Satty29 ........ understood ........ would you mind sharing, based on the information you've shared, this man dosn't seem to match your Henry Cook.  There are other possibilities.  Regards. 

Sure here is all the information I have. Henry Cook(e), spelt with e on 1911 census, born Q4 1893, registered as living in 3 back 10 hampden street Balsall Heath in 1918/19/20. No known spouse and parents are Henry and Henrietta Cook.