The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A. O. Fasser stereoscopic glass slides from the Great War

Ian Ference

By way of introducing myself, I figured I'd make an image post, with a few selections from the Jordan/Ference Collection, which I currently curate (we are in the process of obtaining incorporation as a 501(c)3 nonprofit, basically the American equivalent of a registered charity). These were all taken by Alexander Otto Fasser, who has a rather interesting story - born in Germany, his family (including his father, who won an Iron Cross in the Franco-Prussian War) moved to America when he was two years old. During his schooling, he punched tablets for a pharmaceutical concern in his new hometown of New Haven, CT. He became interested in medicine, eventually receiving his M.D. from Yale Medical School.

Soon gripped by "Western fever", Fasser moved out to a small town in Dakota Territory, where he hung up his shingle, starting a successful family practice as well as acting as surgeon for the town. In 1915, however, he felt compelled to aid the French war effort - despite his German nationality. Remarkably, he forged papers claiming he was born in New York City the day his boat had arrived there, and went on over to work at the American Ambulance Hospital in Neuilly until 1916 - when a letter indicating his wife's preference for a divorce brought him back to the United States. During his time over there, he picked up a stereo camera and took many of these glass stereoviews. He heavily favored shots of aviation, as well as images of wounded soldiers he was working with.

The rest were taken when he decided to stay on in France after his second trip over - this time as a medical officer with the AEF. Sadly, he did not use the same high-end camera on this second journey, but amongst other topics he captured on this second trip were the Port of Zeebrugge, Reims, and the military display at the Place de la Concorde which included the captured German A7V "Elfriede".

All you need to do to see these in 3D is relax your eyes and let them overlap, sort of like those "magic eye" pictures you likely saw at shopping malls in the 1990s. Enjoy!

Disabled_01.jpg

Disabled_07.jpg

Disabled_04.jpg

Birthday10.jpg

08-FieldHospital.jpg

09-PreShampaineTable.jpg

10-HospitalStaircase.jpg

Belgium_Box1_04.jpg

Coast02.jpg

Coast05.jpg

Coast07.jpg

Coast08.jpg

03.jpg

10.jpg

18.jpg

FasserNieuport.jpg

Elfriede1.jpg

Elfriede2.jpg

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Good pics. Strangely I can't do the de-focus with my specs on, but if I take them off then i get the 3d effect!

regards

Jon

Impressive  pictures.

For me, the most dramatic 3D effect is in the 2nd & 3rd photos, the small group of 3 wounded soldiers, and the amputee on the bed.

17 hours ago, jonbem said:

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Good pics. Strangely I can't do the de-focus with my specs on, but if I take them off then i get the 3d effect!

regards

Jon

Thanks Jon!

That's not an uncommon problem, especially if your specs are progressive. I have to take mine off to parallel view as well! There are also a wide variety of viewers available that work well with computers - I do have a recommendation I generally give out, but having read the rules I don't think I'm allowed to mention sellers on here until I've made 50 posts. 

6 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Impressive  pictures.

For me, the most dramatic 3D effect is in the 2nd & 3rd photos, the small group of 3 wounded soldiers, and the amputee on the bed.

Here are a few more from that series:

Disabled_03.jpg

Disabled_06.jpg

Disabled_08.jpg

Disabled_09.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Oh dear, those really depict the absolutely horrific nature of war.

Indeed - when I first received this collection from my dear fried Doug (requiescat in pace), cleaned the slides up, and saw what they depicted, my first thought was of Wilfred Owen's "Disabled"...

• 5 weeks later...

Absolutely!

I don't know if there are many Western Front Association members on this site, but anybody interested in Great War stereoscopy should take a look at the 200 Brentano's stereoviews that just went live on the site - this is, as far as I know, the first earnest effort to catalogue the manufacturer, and they have some fantastic images! Here are a handful:

Brentanos_F00001.jpg

Brentanos_F00002.jpg

Brentanos_F00004.jpg

Brentanos_F00005.jpg

Brentanos_F00006.jpg

Brentanos_F00007.jpg

Brentanos_F00019.jpg

Brentanos_F00022.jpg

• 1 month later...