Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Thomas Fox

Tom Hulme

6 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

as on a post above Charles Bio

Yes - Was for emphasis, and from the GRO as a primary source.

But OP seems so adamant that CTF was born in Stockport ??

We are waiting for reply/further info from the OP

Otherwise, despite our current thoughts, it seems we cannot be sure we are after the right chap for him.

:-/ M

17 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

it seems we cannot be sure we are after the right chap for him.

The OP newspaper cutting, leads to his service no on CWGC. And to his pension card which gives his widow and children

You work back from there with censuses, births and marriages. And the Charles Bio quoted above details  his and his families whole life 

Anyone who has not clicked and read that article needs to do so now!

I don't know about you, but I am sure he was born as the GRO shows and not in Stockport. He lived in Stockport but was not born there

I think the only thing that could disprove this would be a Birth Cert showing Stockport

Edited by corisande

14 minutes ago, corisande said:

I don't know about you

Am waiting on the OP - What more can we do?

We have got to where we are.

:-) M

37 minutes ago, corisande said:

The OP newspaper cutting, leads to his service no on CWGC. And to his pension card which gives his widow and children

You work back from there with censuses, births and marriages. And the Charles Bio quoted above details  his and his families whole life 

Anyone who has not clicked and read that article needs to do so now!

I don't know about you, but I am sure he was born as the GRO shows and not in Stockport. He lived in Stockport but was not born there

I think the only thing that could disprove this would be a Birth Cert showing Stockport

This potentially could be right, I know he lived in Stockport. I am unaware of the birth but I am sure I could find that out within the coming days when I see my grandma.

14 minutes ago, Tom Hulme said:

This potentially could be right, I know he lived in Stockport. I am unaware of the birth but I am sure I could find that out within the coming days when I see my grandma.

Thank you - that would be very helpful.

Meanwhile - for completeness - another item that should interest.

UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects

1656577074_FOXCT.W1440Soldierseffects.png.81a0c4c5146faafe75257e3910feeda6.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

Hopefully the £14/10 War Gratuity and his date of death will assist some other GWF member provide an approximate enlistment date [as it is essentially based on months served].

Help!

= As he was a Gunner - has anyone got access to an Artillery Attestation for him?

1 hour ago, corisande said:

The OP newspaper cutting,

Is it a newspaper cutting?

I'm wondering if it is a paper bookmark.

I know there were silk bookmarks produced.

Just now, Kath said:

Is it a newspaper cutting?

I'm wondering if it is a paper bookmark.

I know there were silk bookmarks produced.

Newspaper cutting, my grandma tries to keep it safe, it must be from a very long time ago.

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thank you - that would be very helpful.

My grandma has confirmed that he was born in the Shropshire area.

40 minutes ago, Tom Hulme said:

Newspaper cutting, my grandma tries to keep it safe, it must be from a very long time ago.

Stockport have a wonderfully helpful local heritage library. They have helped me with copies of articles from the Stockport Advertiser and Stockport Express on three separate occasions in the last couple of years (no charge either!)

Give them his name and date of death and I think they will do look ups for you. Good copies too, not microfilmed stuff!

email them at - localheritagelibrary(at)stockport.gov.uk

BillyH.

53 minutes ago, Tom Hulme said:

My grandma has confirmed that he was born in the Shropshire area.

Thank you Tom.

Excellent - that is that little 'panic' over.

As you may have by now established - We are very evidence-based here at GWF and it is certainly hard[er] to contradict documented evidence.

[Sometimes, occasionally but not that often, the evidence may be actually wrong and it may feed into a lot of places]

However, in this case many different sources have been used so we feel pretty confident in what we are offering to you.

Here is the Stockport 1911 Census that earlier alerted me to this revelation of Wellington, Shropshire - see the right-hand column

[and it now appears others had already been there before me!]

2060043002_FOXCT.W1440-1911Census.png.9d9d6c7aee0aa6391a62e24d1c5baba2.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

In 1911 it was actually filled in by CTF and in the bottom right you will see his signature

That he and his wife had a child is barely visible, 1 child born alive /1 child still living, but no name or gender - fortunately the Pension card seems to identify.

Hope you grandma is liking what you now have to offer.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum Mark. @Tom Hulme hasn’t visited the forum for a while, so hopefully my tag will alert them to your post.

Irene is my dad's sister. I remember Charles Thomas's widow. She died when I was about 10. The newspaper cutting is very interesting. Is it yours?