Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Claude Mynott

DBAhmed

Hi  Dad was wondering if there is any information about a Claude Mynott WW1  dad said he was a stretcher bearer and also was awarded a GM George medal any other information would be most grateful

• Admin

There's is only one Claude A Mynott on the Medal Index cards, 2710 Essex Regiment and 320048 Labour Corps. 

As per @Matlock1418 suggestion, I have split this into a new thread. 

As Michelle said: The Only Claude Mynott I can see in the MICs (Ancestry image) is 2710 Essex Regt. and 320048 Labour Corps.

He got the WW1 trio but no mention of other awards.

A Pte. (L/Cpl) Charles Mynott 11965 (from Cambridge) of the 10th Bn. West Yorkshire Regt. was awarded an MM and Bar:

LG  24 Jan 1919: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31142/supplement/1219

LG 14 May 1919: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31338/supplement/6009

A Sgt. Albert Mynott 325816 (Sept. 1917) and a Pte. James C. Mynott 14256 both each won a single MM.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 16.47.41.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• Admin

@DBAhmed can you confirm if it's WW1 or WW2 please? 

Been out and now I am behind the game now there is a new thread running. ;-)

Others seem to have already found the same soldier.

Honest - I had this ready ;-)

I may have found something - but likely need more from you to help clarify if the right man.

This is important in the short term and long run!

2 x MIC [at Ancestry, as found above - also see the National Archives] for:

Claude A MYNOTT

Essex Regiment  2710 - an infantry regiment

Labour Corps 320048 - a labouring corps [or 362048 - This alternative, also found on another card seems to have been cancelled in favour of the other.  However, looking at medal rolls the selected MIC seems to be in error with 320048 and 360048 appears more correct]

First theatre of war (1) France = 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal

Transferred to the Army Z Reserve 14-7-19 - essentially, he went home and resumed his civilian life, but could be easily called back if necessary - this Z Reserve was just in case the 1918 Armistice did not hold and the Peace treaty was not signed.  The Peace treaty was signed and the Z Reserve was abolished n 1920

At transfer it was very common to put in a pension claim - typically on Army Form Z.22 - this means he was considered sufficiently fit to go on the reserve but the man felt that he had some disability he could claim [the Z Reserve and a pension claim were not mutually exclusive - and were very common]

Pension record [at Western Front Association / Fold3] for:

Claude Alfred MYNOTT

Essex Regt

Labour Corps 362048 [as above, I think this is the correct LC number]

Claimed/received disability pension from 15-7-19 to 13-7-20 - Claim may have continued beyond.  Claim [and not necessarily the man] considered DEAD 14-7-25

He gave an address in 1919 of: 11 Mill Cottage, Purfleet, Essex.

= This last bit, his address is possibly of greatest value - do you know where 'your dad's' Claude Mynott lived/was from?

There is also a quite long/many paged 'burnt' Service Record available [at Ancestry & likely Find My Past] for this soldier including service and wounds - It expands/clarifies/explains quite a bit = but perhaps not all for now

However to perhaps help you & your dad, At the address above:

Wife's name: Emily, previously BENNETT,

and children's names: Herbert Alfred John; Leslie Reginald James; Charles Frederick; Margaret Emily and Lille Nancy may help

A stretcher bearer with the Essex Regiment is just a possibility [and probably rather more likely than for the Labour Corps] but regimental roles like this are not always easily determined.

The George Medal does not date from the WW1 - A Military Medal [or other medal] might however have perhaps been a possibility, but ... ?

I have searched the London Gazette for medal awards for the above soldier and come up with: Nothing!

If this is the wrong man then back to the drawing board!!

= Do the names and address, above, help to clarify as potentially your dad's man?

Hope to hear back from you soon.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
emphasis for transcription

3 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

a Pte. James C. Mynott 14256 both each won a single MM.

Pte. James Claude Mynott 14256 of the Bedfordshire Regt. won a MM: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6200798

One of a large no. awarded to the 2nd Bn. at the end of WW1: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31469/supplement/9369

Could this be the 'George Medal'?

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 19.52.42.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Sgt. Albert Mynott 325816 (Sept. 1917)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30287/supplement/9610

325816 Sjt. A. Mynott, Camb. R. (Trumpington).

= from Trumpington

Pte. James C. Mynott 14256

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31469/supplement/9369

BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT ... 14256 Pte. Mynott, J. C., 2nd Bn. (Letchworth)

= from Letchworth

???

Do these place(s) mean anything?

Edited by Matlock1418
typos

9 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Pte. James Claude Mynott 14256 of the Bedfordshire Regt. won a MM

An interesting find.

Looking forward to hearing back from the OP.

6 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT ... 14256 Pte. Mynott, J. C., 2nd Bn. (Letchworth)

= from Letchworth

???

Do these place mean anything?

It merely means that was where he actually enlisted. It does not mean necessarily that he came from there

James Claude Mynott has a Ancestry Tree on this link - click

But they have nothing in his WW1 years. Though he was in the 1911 census in Lechlade

9 minutes ago, corisande said:

Letchworth

OP is apparently c.25 miles from there - so probably not a big distance over a couple of generations.

4 minutes ago, corisande said:

Though he was in the 1911 census in Lechlade

That is a bit further from Letchworth c.95 miles - but not impossible in 3+ years!

We may be in the right part of the world.

;-) M

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Though he was in the 1911 census in Lechlade

My lack of knowledge of English geography . It was Letchworth  - see the Ancestry link to the tree

As family live close (ish) the Letchworth, it seems reasonable to think that we are on the right track with @Ivor Anderson's discovery of this man

The difficulty would be to prove that he was a stretcher bearer to fit the legend

4 minutes ago, corisande said:

My lack of knowledge of English geography . It was Letchworth 

Glad that is sorted.

I had to check the relative positions/distances too as not my normal stamping ground.

Letchworth it is.

7 minutes ago, corisande said:

it seems reasonable to think that we are on the right track with @Ivor Anderson's discovery of this man

Agreed

6 minutes ago, corisande said:

The difficulty would be to prove that he was a stretcher bearer to fit the legend

I too reckon such a role will difficult to easily clarify.

1 hour ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Pte. James Claude Mynott 14256 of the Bedfordshire Regt. won a MM: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6200798

One of a large no. awarded to the 2nd Bn. at the end of WW1https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31469/supplement/9369

Ivor,

Know you look at a lot of MM.

Generally [I guess at this stage] and/or specifically [which I would think would be much harder at the moment] ...

As this is a July 1919 LG - How do you feel on the question of whether such an award might be for bravery [for a deed] or a more general award/reward [for good services, as I believe was possible at this later date]?

???

Edited by Matlock1418
Added the LG link

3 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

There are around 28 MMs to the 2nd Bn. in that gazette. They are probably all for c. October 1918 during the final advance to victory.

The war diary may list them in October-November 1918: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352996

Have that WD open at the moment - but it's a long read!

5 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Check the end of October and November 1918 first. They may all be on one list. :)

That's where I'm looking.

The good news is that do like to make mentions of MM awards in Oct & Nov [but little detail] - in hope, continuing ...

Yes. They are usually a final submission for gallantry over a period of time, unless they were for the Battle of the Sambre on 4 November 1918.

They are sometimes even listed in December.

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

36 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Yes. They are usually a final submission for gallantry over a period of time, unless they were for the Battle of the Sambre on 4 November 1918.

They are sometimes even listed in December.

Yes - I have just got him 22 December 1918

Image to follow

Edit:

Top right - 22 December

491651939_MYNOTTJC.14256(3).png.327df02f38f707543127d1e1770e9d90.png

Image courtesy of the National Archives  WO-95-2042-2_2

All these men appear in the same LG https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31469/supplement/9369

Edited by Matlock1418
added image from 2nd Bn, Bedfordshire WD - later an acknowledgement - later still the LG comment & link

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

That is a bit further from Letchworth c.95 miles - but not impossible in 3+ years!

We may be in the right part of the world.

Just noting that. from the BAGNALL topic which started this new search:-

He is named on the Letchworth War Memorial.

BAGNALL, BERTRAM ARTHUR

Service No: 200345
Date of Death: 02/11/1918
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force 9th Aircraft Repair Depot
Awards: Mentioned in Despatches
Grave Reference: 543.
Cemetery: WILLIAN (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information: Son of Frederick A. Bagnall; husband of Eva Bagnall, of 7, Boscombe Place, Letchworth.
Edited by horatio2

15 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

He is named on the Letchworth War Memorial.

BAGNALL, BERTRAM ARTHUR

Given the OP's other interest in BAGNALL then the Letchworth connection is looking firmer and very promising for MYNOTT.

Thanks for spotting/remembering.

Edit:

OP is apparently currently c.25 miles from Letchworth

Seems like probably time to start looking for possible local newspaper articles, Dec 1918 to Aug 1919 [ish] I guess.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

And I wonder about Absent Voter Lists for an address - are there any AVL for Letchworth?

???