Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meritorious Service Medal Query

verdun

RE: M2/120661 Sgt. Christopher Gordon Richford, RASC

This soldier's MIC shows that he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. His surviving Army Service Record simply refers to it being  granted for 'meritorious service', but does anyone know what that might mean and if a citation exists?

(He had pervious Territorial Force experience in the London Rifle Brigade (1909-11) and 1/4th Seaforth Highlanders (1914-15) prior to re-enlistment in the motorised section of the ASC... I am wondering if the award was in recognition of this 'extra' service?)

Many thanks if you can help.

Christopher Gordon RICHFORD - MSM (2).jpg

1 hour ago, verdun said:

This soldier's MIC shows that he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. His surviving Army Service Record simply refers to it being  granted for 'meritorious service', but does anyone know what that might mean and if a citation exists?

Christopher Gordon RICHFORD - MSM (2).jpg

Here is the LG

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31370/page/6903 

War Office, 3rd June, 1919. His .Majesty the KING has. been graciously, pleased to approve of the award of the Meritorious Service Medal to the following Warrant Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Men in recognition of valuable service rendered with the Armies in France and Flanders :—  ...

ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS ...

M2/120661 Sjt. Richford, C. G. (Headcorn)

Nearest I could get to an explanation and 'citation'

Got to say I seem to generally think that most such 'Peace Gazette' awards rather tended towards being for meritorious service rather than for specific deeds.

And that the clue was rather in the name of this particular medal. [though I recognise that it might also be sometimes awarded for gallantry not in the face of the enemy}

I also think they, and a number of other medals, may have been doled out to units to award as they thought fit - to 'good and faithful servants' [or to that effect].

There may be some other record, possibility a citation [?], as to why awarded - but I haven't the faintest idea where. Sorry. :-/

Happy to learn more / be corrected, as appropriate.

:-) M

15 minutes ago, verdun said:

image.png.767cccc20aae14ca22e0f0410fbc2824.png

Have just found this extract in his survivng papers - but can't make out what it says. Help!

It's just a reference to the Lon. Gaz. with 3 June 19 date.

So I'm none the wiser I'm afraid.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
added date detail

The 3rd June 1919 'Peace Gazette' contained a large number of MSM awards issued at the end of the war for consistent 'Meritorious Service' 'above and beyond' over a period of time, usually that leading up to the recommendation: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31370/page/6903

Units had to recommend individual soldiers for the award. His MSM award may well be listed in the unit war diary around October-December 1918.

It is a much rarer medal than the MM as regards the number issued during WW1. Around 4.6 times more MMs than MSMs were awarded in WW1.

However, only a few hundred MSMs were awarded for gallantry 'not in the face of the enemy', usually for saving life.

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 22.19.29.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson