Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26 Counties casualties, statistics.

museumtom

Great work museumtom. I see you have one listed for Newchurch-in-Rossendale. St Nicholas.  Can you let me know the name as there are several in the cemetery.  Thanks. Ian

Here you go Tulloch old bean....

Fairfoul, Edward. Cork). Rank- Ship’s Corporal 1st Class. Regiment/Service: Royal Navy. Unit: H.M.S.  Pembroke. Ser No:175031. Date of death: 06/08/1920. Age: 44. Born: Queenstown, County Cork. Next of kin, etc: Son of Mrs. Alice Fairfoul; husband of Harriett Fairfoul, of 127, Edgeside Lane, Edgeside Estate, Waterfoot, Manchester. Cemetery: Newchurch-in-Rossendale (St. Nicholas) Churchyard, U.K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning Tom,

Fantastic research and very useful.

I was in Brussels Town Cemetry yesterday visiting the grave of J Sheehy  7939 Connaught Rangers.

I see from your Cemetry list that there are 2 Irish burried there. Can you let me know who the other Irish Man is .

Regards Gerry

Here you go Gerry.

Boyle    ,     Thomas Edward    .     (Cork).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service:      Canadian Infantry    .     Unit:      16th Battalion    .     Ser No:      700073    .     Date of death:     21/12/1916    .     Age:      21    .     Born:      Cork    .     Enlisted:      Winnipeg    .     Residence:      309 Redwood Avenue, Winnipeg.    .     Death:          .     Next of kin, etc:      Only son of Thomas H and Beatrice (Bessie) Boyle, of 309 Redwood Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba. 

Skibbereen Eagle. 24/03/1917. Died in a German prison Camp. We take the following cutting from the “Winnipeg Free Press”:  “With crushing and bleeding heart a Winnipeg mother lies prostrated to-day, blindly groping for a moment’s respite from her anguish. On Thursday a casualty message came from the War Office stating that her son, Private Thomas E Boyle, had died in a German prison camp from the effects of wounds. No word had been received at the home of Mr and Mrs T H Boyle, 809 Redwood Avenue, from their son since September last, and the War Office had him listed as “missing,” when, to the unutterable joy of his mother a letter came from him on Christmas Day, written in a German Prison Camp, saying that he was “fine.” While the father and mother were rejoicing over their boy “come back from the dead” so to speak, he had already answered the last call. He died three days before this letter reached his home, although official notice was not received in the City till this week. The pluck of this boy who was a prisoner wounded, and dying was game enough to write home and say that he was “fine” is surely “of the stuff that heroes are made of,” and stands out as a living challenge to the people at home who hold back with wrangling and quibbles while such heroes die. The mother who bred such a son will surely be given strength to bear her sorrow.” Private Boyle’s father is a native of the Bandon district, where a number of his relatives still reside.    

Grave/Memorial:      X 10 9    .     Cemetery:     Brussels Town Cemetery, Belgium.

Excellent and many thanks Tom,

I had a huntch he may have been attached to a Canadian regiment.

I must return again later this week 

Regards

Gerry

Gerry, Further to Tom's excellent post and encylopediac knowledge you'll be happy to know that our Canadian friends provide a magnificent service in respect of their wartime attestation papers. 

I'm attempting to post via my mobile so it's likely you'll end up with a dead link but try clicking on the following: http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B0985-S025 

• 2 months later...

Please let me know the names of the individuals in the Allenvale Cemetery, Aberdeen. I may have photos of the memorials which I could post here.

KF Kelly

Here you go.

Charles    ,     George    .     (Cavan).     Rank-     Lance Corporal    .     Regiment/Service:      Royal Irish Fusiliers    .     Unit:      1st Battalion    .     Ser No:      9131    .     Date of death:     06/11/1916    .     Age:      27    .     Born:      Killinkere, County Cavan    .     Enlisted:      Cavan    .     Residence:      Bailieborough, County Cavan    .     Death:      Died of wounds at 1st Scottish General Hospital, Aberdeen.    .     Next of kin, etc:      Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Charles, of County Tyrone. In his Will his effects were left to (mother) E Charles, upon her death, property and effects to (sister) Gennie Bradshaw, Church Street, Bailieboro, County Cavan.    Grave/Memorial:      Screen Wall, S. 158.    .     Cemetery:     Aberdeen (Allenvale) Cemetery, U.K.    .                                             

McKay    ,     William Francis    .     (Cork).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service:    Gordon Highlanders    .     Unit:    4th Battalion    .     Ser No:    201744    .     Date of death:     03/05/1917    .     Age:    29    .     Born:    Cork    .     Enlisted:        .     Residence:        .     Death:    Died of wounds at home    .     Next of kin, etc:    Son of  Mrs Margaret McKay, of 21 Great Western Road, Aberdeen, and the late Colour Sergeant McKay (2nd Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders).Born at Cork.         Notes-     Place of birth Aberdeen (Soldiers Died In The Great War) Cork (Commonwealth War Graves Commission.)    .     Grave/Memorial:    Screen Wall.    .     Cemetery:     Aberdeen (Allenvale) Cemetery, U.K.    .                                                             

Rochfort    ,     Thomas    .     (Cavan).     Rank-         .     Regiment/Service:    Royal Irish Rifles    .     Unit:    2nd Battalion    .     Ser No:    8367    .     Date of death:     24/12/1917    .     Age:    34    .     Born:    Mullagh, County Cavan    .     Enlisted:    Dublin    .     Residence:        .     Death:    Died (of cancer?, see records on FMP) after discharge    .     Next of kin, etc:    Son of Patrock Rochfort, of Mullagh, County Cavan.    Grave/Memorial:    Screen Wall S 158.    .     Cemetery:     Aberdeen (Allenvale) Cemetery, U.K.

Thank you very much for the information. I do not have photos of the main memorial in Allenvale although I believe that pictures have been posted on this site previously. I will visit the memorial as soon as I can and I will take  pictures of the relevant sections. I would be pleased to send them to you if it is of interest. Thank you again,

KF Kelly

Tom thanks

Buried in Ireland, yes, but he seems to have been English through and through. I had misunderstood - I thought these were data of men from the 26 counties. 

Best wishes

Ian

• 2 years later...

I see on page one very intresting numbers and records. By some i think "Who was that only person?" 

Really intresting. Thanks for so much information. 

The link above to Tom's database is truly an excellent resource. (I don't use it much myself for I've been mining a different seam over the years).

Since Tom started his research other data sets have been upgraded and are now easier to search. For example our Canadian friends now allow for searches by reference to country of birth (e.g. Ireland) and helpfully classify them by county to aid filtering. Here's an example of 6,000-plus Irish-born from the WWI Canadian attestation papers.

https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Home/Search?DataSource=Genealogy|Military|PfFww&SearchIn_1=BirthCountryFac&SearchInText_1=Ireland&