Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph of Officers in Dalhousie, India

A Sanyal

20 minutes ago, A Sanyal said:

Thank you! I will pass on this information to the Pastor of Saint Francis Church Dalhousie, and I am sure that he will be delighted to know this. Apparently, it is mentioned that the "cost of construction was largely defrayed to the officers and men of the Army Unit in Dalhousie."

A similar attribution is there about another Church, the Saint Patrick's Church, which was constructed in 1909, and is in the Cantonment. The 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers were here in 1907 and 1908!

Pic is from the Notebook of the Cantonment Magistrate Dalhousie....  

St Patrick's Church.jpg

This has all been very interesting.  Thank you for showing us.  One thing that I have learned is that Dalhousie seems to have been a station (cantonment) associated with fusilier regiments for quite a long period.  This had a practical application, as most of the regiments were ‘Royal’ and so it would have been possible to hand over clothing stores with little difficulty, by utilising a transfer by voucher.  For example the uniform of the RMF and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers was especially close with even their insignia following the same shape, albeit with differing iconography.

The 2nd Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers had a long association with India, and with Irish soldiers.  Before 1881 it had been the 108th Regiment of Foot (Madras Infantry) and until 1861 the 3rd Madras European Regiment as part of the Honourable East India Company, large numbers of whose soldiers came from Ireland.  Each battalion had its own traditions and cultural mores and regardless of unit title these tended to be passed from generation to generation as men were replaced via a trickle system of relatively small drafts of men replacing those whose service had expired.  It was only in the event of a complete unit destruction through some disaster that a sense of continuity might be damaged, and even then a unit was often reconstructed using a core of officers and men previously associated with it.  It would not surprise me if the 2nd Battalion had more men from the South of Ireland than the 1st Battalion and it would be interesting to see if there’s any anecdotal evidence of that.

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

As well as Tirah the 2nd Battalion men might have the additional (second) clasp Punjab Frontier 1897-98

Yes you are correct Froggie, The Tirah clasp was not issued as a single clasp.

The PF  '97-'98 clasp was awarded to ---"the Tirah Expeditionary Force under LGen Lockhart which operated

from 2 Oct '97 to 6 Apl '98."

Edited by RNCVR

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

Yes you are correct Froggie, The Tirah clasp was not issued as a single clasp.

The PF clasp was awarded to "the Tirah Expeditionary Force under LGen Lockhart 

That’s an additional corroboration of the unit in terms of contributory evidence Bryan, thank you.

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This has all been very interesting.  Thank you for showing us.  One thing that I have learned is that Dalhousie seems to have been a station (cantonment) associated with fusilier regiments for quite a long period.  This had a practical application, as most of the regiments were ‘Royal’ and so it would have been possible to hand over clothing stores with little difficulty, by utilising a transfer by voucher.  For example the uniform of the RMF and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers was especially close with even their insignia following the same shape, albeit with differing iconography.

The 2nd Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers had a long association with India, and with Irish soldiers.  Before 1881 it had been the 108th Regiment of Foot (Madras Infantry) and until 1861 the 3rd Madras European Regiment as part of the Honourable East India Company, large numbers of whose soldiers came from Ireland.  Each battalion had its own traditions and cultural mores and regardless of unit title these tended to be passed from generation to generation as men were replaced via a trickle system of relatively small drafts of men replacing those whose service had expired.  It was only in the event of a complete unit destruction through some disaster that a sense of continuity might be damaged, and even then a unit was often reconstructed using a core of officers and men previously associated with it.  It would not surprise me if the 2nd Battalion had more men from the South of Ireland than the 1st Battalion and it would be interesting to see if there’s any anecdotal evidence of that.

Thank you for not only solving what had no doubt remained a mystery for a very long period of time, but also for sharing very interesting snippets of information. The amount of knowledge you (and others on this thread) have is truly humbling.

Would you kindly share any information you may have on the inception of the sanatorium in Dalhousie when it is convenient? 

Regards,

AS.

Dalhousie.

14 minutes ago, A Sanyal said:

Thank you for not only solving what had no doubt remained a mystery for a very long period of time, but also for sharing very interesting snippets of information. The amount of knowledge you (and others on this thread) have is truly humbling.

Would you kindly share any information you may have on the inception of the sanatorium in Dalhousie when it is convenient? 

Regards,

AS.

Dalhousie.

I will be happy to share anything that I can find out in due course.  I will PM you as the administration here has been kindly tolerant in permitting this thread to run until it’s conclusion despite it strictly speaking being off topic from the forum.

Can I suggest @A Sanyal you use FindMyPast newspapers, and select just "Civil & Military Gazette Lahore"

Put "Dalhousie" in as "Who" and under "What else" put anything you want to know about  like "Inniskilling" or "church" or "Hospital"

It is a veritable cornucopia of information. All you have to do is think of words to put into "What else"

Brilliant thread and wonderful contributions.

:-) M

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I will be happy to share anything that I can find out in due course.  I will PM you as the administration here has been kindly tolerant in permitting this thread to run until it’s conclusion despite it strictly speaking being off topic from the forum.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, corisande said:

Can I suggest @A Sanyal you use FindMyPast newspapers, and select just "Civil & Military Gazette Lahore"

Put "Dalhousie" in as "Who" and under "What else" put anything you want to know about  like "Inniskilling" or "church" or "Hospital"

It is a veritable cornucopia of information. All you have to do is think of words to put into "What else"

Thank you!