Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform ID (Nationality?)


4thGordons
 Share

Recommended Posts

Can anyone identify the nationality of this uniform?

The context suggests it may be Bulgarian but I cannot find much to confirm that. Cap looks like the French style and an interesting combination of front closure/collar style on the tunic. Gaiters (soft leather?)  are also interesting and shoes/boots seem to be quite narrow and have significant heels (perhaps for riding?)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

 

Uniform-ID-web.jpg.820f652441b7b6b959b6fe9c20bf31aa.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s a Serb.  The forage cap was a very distinctive feature that revealed the silhouette of a Serbian Army soldier from some distance.  The British woman, Flora Sandes famously served with the Serbian Army and images from her life then often show such caps.  

D93C336F-2B16-43FC-B242-B8523DF882A8.png

58D5359A-592F-4542-AD2E-11D5E8F4A0AF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you.

I wondered about that (based on other photos I have) the odd thing is this is in a collection of German pics (fighting against the Serbs with the Bulgarians)

I managed to free the pic from the album page and it has this on the back

 

reverse.jpg.64d7e6722f1f37e2d51c2c89ca112133.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t make out the first word, but the second is just ‘Militar’.  I don’t know how useful this YouTube piece might be: 

 

 

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I can’t make out the first word, but the second is just ‘Militar’

It´s "Serbisches Militär" - Serbian military

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GreyC said:

It´s "Serbisches Militär" - Serbian military

GreyC

Thank you GreyC.  I could make out the letters ‘erb’, but none of the other letters seem to match, I guess it must be Sutterlin style?

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Frogsmile,

many people think that this type of current is called Sütterlin, however Sütterlin was only introduced in schools by the Ministerium der Geistlichen und Unterrichts-Angelegenheiten in 1915/6 to standardize and simplify the German current writing prior to Sütterlin. So adults were still using the old forms of current writing at that time and that´s what you see on the back of the photo. Sütterlin is quite similar, though, as it is based on its predecessor.

Best,

GreyC

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Frogsmile,

many people think that this type of current is called Sütterlin, however Sütterlin was only introduced in schools by the Ministerium der Geistlichen und Unterrichts-Angelegenheiten in 1915/6 to standardize and simplify the German current writing prior to Sütterlin. So adults were still using the old forms of current writing at that time and that´s what you see on the back of the photo. Sütterlin is quite similar, though, as it is based on its predecessor.

Best,

GreyC

 

Thank you GreyC, I didn’t realise that Sutterlin was an attempt to standardise the older scripts.  I lived four times in Germany and the origins of the culture have always interested me.

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning Frogsmile,

I presume you were stationed in North Rhine Westphalia? Yes, Sütterlin was meant to standardise and also to simplyfy the script, so that it was easier for children to write. A.H. abolished it in 1941. But I fear, that is another story :-)

Have a good Sunday,

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Good morning Frogsmile,

I presume you were stationed in North Rhine Westphalia? 

GreyC


Yes, over several decades with intervals, but for years at a time:  Lemgo (Kreis Lippe), Sennelager, Hohne/Munster Lager, Soltau, Dortmund, and Rheindahlen (MG).  It feels like a long time ago now.

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GreyC said:

It is quite long ago if you stayed till ´94.

GreyC

Stayed till 2009 (among the last to leave).  It was the end of an era. First posting was 1970s.

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! I didn´t know the British stayed that long. Thought the Rhein Army left 1994 altogether.

Quite a long career in the military. Impressive.

GreyC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Wow! I didn´t know the British stayed that long. Thought the Rhein Army left 1994 altogether.

Quite a long career in the military. Impressive.

GreyC

The last HQ BFG and ARRC (at Rheindahlen) closed the following year, in 2010.  The latter moved to Innsworth UK, where after some ‘restructuring’ (several former participatory nations didn’t like the new location and so were replaced by others) it remains.

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...