Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German regimental marking ? Short question

Rafal1971

Hello

Is there an unambiguous interpretation of this regiment marking?

Is the 4th Company Ersatz Batalion, weapon No. 22, or the 4th Company, Ersatz Batalion 22 Infanterie Regiment or a completely different interpretation

???

I don't think that is marking of eisenbahn abtailung :-)

Rafal

Beznazwy-2.jpg.0b3e15ac30b1914d50f3113c3e78117c.jpg

What is it on?

On 84/98 n.a. from 1915

Raf

Well, an eisenbahn unit certainly would not have those bayonets, nor would a cavalry Eskadron! My best guess is 4th Company Ersatz Batalion, weapon No. 22 as this would closely follow the usual format but not exactly according to the rules. Many 'Ersatz' bayonets have similar markings that don't quite follow the rules for reasons unknown...

Julian

I forgot There may be the so-called simplified type designation (3.44 i.e. 3rd campaign, weapon number 44). So it could be 4th Esqadron, weapon number 22, especially since the first 84/98 bayonets were intended for cavalry.

Raf

Whoops! I mis-read the weapon type. Yes, a 4th Eskadron markng would be appropriate on this piece. As you say, these were made for cavalry. Is it just 'ERFURT' marked?

If I remember correctly it is 84/98 n.a. from 1915, the royal arsenal of Erfurt produced bayonets without cooperation with other German companies

It could be Eskadron same as a Ersatz Battalion probably, its war unit as the 4 in front is large. the E could be for Eisenbahn company too as in manual 1909 probably too.

Edited by AndyBsk

But up to 1914, Eisenbahn companies were issued with Gew.98 and 98/05 m.S., so I don't see why they would change (to Kar.98? and) 84/98 bayonets. 

Julian

Edited by trajan

Personally i dont believe one larger unit would use only one type of bayonet,as various stuff there,Ncos,workers etc, anyway the unit is on obverse guard not typical area of stamping,should be complete area visible,both sides? Marking etc,this unit could be only part of ,or the unit stamp is not complete or is only small part of unknown unit,which designation is harder to deciphering with avialable stamps.

Edited by AndyBsk