The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kitebrook Auxiliary Hospital - Gloucestershire

PaulJC

Thanks again.

I dont know what the connection to Thomas Octavious Prichard could be as he died in 1847.

Why there should be a reference to Alice is also a mystery although her possible war work in the USA would be an interesting development.

I have access to FMP and have found the relevant records. What I really wanted was to view the original VAD cards which I thought were available on the BRC website.

There may be no family connection to Thomas Octavious Prichard. I found the site by searching on her name as a phrase and Kitebrook as a single word and then found the disjointed paragraph for her.

Ancestry tree has an incorrect marriage for her. What else may be incorrect?

I had a quick look on passenger lists and although an Alice Pritchard b1870 popped up I doubt AMP was a housemaid in 1933! Maybe worth you checking passenger lists in detail.

TEW

Thanks Alf,

I have no problem with the site but cannot open the original VAD cards.......

VAD CARDS:
http://vad-data.redcross.org.uk/images/486595/4cfc4b581352059b0421df4a1050ab3c
http://vad-data.redcross.org.uk/images/486596/38a659f5194dc26a2bf5be8ba6d66497

Paul,

At the end of the war the British Red Cross realised that they didn't have accurate records of what their members did. They therefore sent out cards to all known members, requesting them to fill in their details. This was in early 1919. The front page was to be filled in by the members and the cards returned to their unit, if it was still running, or their county asscciation, or the headquarters. The rear of the card was supposed to be signed by an official of the Red Cross, and this was sometimes the head of a particular Voluntary Aid Detachment. There are many variations in these cards, and not all members returned them. Some members have more than one card, especially if they served in different V.A.D.'s or served abroad.

The writing on Alice and Nancy's cards looks similar, but it's possible one of them wrote the card for the other, probably Alice.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 1 month later...

Dear PaulJC and others. I have only just joined the forum and may be rather late in offering information. I am sure that Alice Pritchard/ Dugdale was a member of the Dugdale family who owned and lived at Kitebrook House for a time. I live directly opposite and my neighbours have AD and 1920 on their gables indicating that the four cottages were built by Arthur Dugdale who had served in WW1. When I moved here in 1976 a neighbour told me that he had wanted to build houses "fit for heroes". although I am not aware that any WW1 veterans moved in at first.

One day I will work out the family tree for the Dugdale family.

All the best Will

Thanks for the information.

Indeed she was a member of that family who lived at the address given. 

I am trying to find information about her time running the Kitebrook Hospital. Its rather limited through the internet but perhaps the local studies department may help (when things eventually return to whatever normal may be).

Paul 

35 minutes ago, WillCox said:

Dear PaulJC and others. I have only just joined the forum and may be rather late in offering information. I am sure that Alice Pritchard/ Dugdale was a member of the Dugdale family who owned and lived at Kitebrook House for a time. I live directly opposite and my neighbours have AD and 1920 on their gables indicating that the four cottages were built by Arthur Dugdale who had served in WW1. When I moved here in 1976 a neighbour told me that he had wanted to build houses "fit for heroes". although I am not aware that any WW1 veterans moved in at first.

One day I will work out the family tree for the Dugdale family.

All the best Will

Welcome to the forum Will.

The 1921 Census, due for release next year, will tell you who moved into these 4 houses. It would be interesting to know if they were veterans. Electoral rolls for 1921 may also show who lived in these houses.

Regards,

Alf McM

Dear PaulJC and alfmcm,

Thanks. Yes, I am looking forward to the 21 census! When we moved here in 1976, our neighbour at No. 4 was Harry Haynes. He had been in the machine gun corps and was, I think, a corporal i/c a gun. He explained that he therefore carried a pistol. His team were overrun and a German came at him with a bayonet. Harry said that the German, from his look, must have thought he would be the winner, but Harry was able to fire his pistol at very close range, and thereby save himself. So there was a hero here later on!

My interest in WW1 is centred on my grandfather William Cox and my great uncle William Diggines. My cousin and I have a large collection of letters from the trenches etc. from WC and the same from WD but he was based at a depot and clearly had an easier war.

Regards,

Will (Messenger)