Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kitebrook Auxiliary Hospital - Gloucestershire

PaulJC

Thanks again.

I dont know what the connection to Thomas Octavious Prichard could be as he died in 1847.

Why there should be a reference to Alice is also a mystery although her possible war work in the USA would be an interesting development.

I have access to FMP and have found the relevant records. What I really wanted was to view the original VAD cards which I thought were available on the BRC website.

There may be no family connection to Thomas Octavious Prichard. I found the site by searching on her name as a phrase and Kitebrook as a single word and then found the disjointed paragraph for her.

Ancestry tree has an incorrect marriage for her. What else may be incorrect?

I had a quick look on passenger lists and although an Alice Pritchard b1870 popped up I doubt AMP was a housemaid in 1933! Maybe worth you checking passenger lists in detail.

TEW

Thanks Alf,

I have no problem with the site but cannot open the original VAD cards.......

VAD CARDS:
http://vad-data.redcross.org.uk/images/486595/4cfc4b581352059b0421df4a1050ab3c
http://vad-data.redcross.org.uk/images/486596/38a659f5194dc26a2bf5be8ba6d66497

Paul,

At the end of the war the British Red Cross realised that they didn't have accurate records of what their members did. They therefore sent out cards to all known members, requesting them to fill in their details. This was in early 1919. The front page was to be filled in by the members and the cards returned to their unit, if it was still running, or their county asscciation, or the headquarters. The rear of the card was supposed to be signed by an official of the Red Cross, and this was sometimes the head of a particular Voluntary Aid Detachment. There are many variations in these cards, and not all members returned them. Some members have more than one card, especially if they served in different V.A.D.'s or served abroad.

The writing on Alice and Nancy's cards looks similar, but it's possible one of them wrote the card for the other, probably Alice.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 1 month later...

Dear PaulJC and others. I have only just joined the forum and may be rather late in offering information. I am sure that Alice Pritchard/ Dugdale was a member of the Dugdale family who owned and lived at Kitebrook House for a time. I live directly opposite and my neighbours have AD and 1920 on their gables indicating that the four cottages were built by Arthur Dugdale who had served in WW1. When I moved here in 1976 a neighbour told me that he had wanted to build houses "fit for heroes". although I am not aware that any WW1 veterans moved in at first.

One day I will work out the family tree for the Dugdale family.

All the best Will

Thanks for the information.

Indeed she was a member of that family who lived at the address given. 

I am trying to find information about her time running the Kitebrook Hospital. Its rather limited through the internet but perhaps the local studies department may help (when things eventually return to whatever normal may be).

Paul 

35 minutes ago, WillCox said:

Dear PaulJC and others. I have only just joined the forum and may be rather late in offering information. I am sure that Alice Pritchard/ Dugdale was a member of the Dugdale family who owned and lived at Kitebrook House for a time. I live directly opposite and my neighbours have AD and 1920 on their gables indicating that the four cottages were built by Arthur Dugdale who had served in WW1. When I moved here in 1976 a neighbour told me that he had wanted to build houses "fit for heroes". although I am not aware that any WW1 veterans moved in at first.

One day I will work out the family tree for the Dugdale family.

All the best Will

Welcome to the forum Will.

The 1921 Census, due for release next year, will tell you who moved into these 4 houses. It would be interesting to know if they were veterans. Electoral rolls for 1921 may also show who lived in these houses.

Regards,

Alf McM

Dear PaulJC and alfmcm,

Thanks. Yes, I am looking forward to the 21 census! When we moved here in 1976, our neighbour at No. 4 was Harry Haynes. He had been in the machine gun corps and was, I think, a corporal i/c a gun. He explained that he therefore carried a pistol. His team were overrun and a German came at him with a bayonet. Harry said that the German, from his look, must have thought he would be the winner, but Harry was able to fire his pistol at very close range, and thereby save himself. So there was a hero here later on!

My interest in WW1 is centred on my grandfather William Cox and my great uncle William Diggines. My cousin and I have a large collection of letters from the trenches etc. from WC and the same from WD but he was based at a depot and clearly had an easier war.

Regards,

Will (Messenger)

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, 

In the attached link https://www.angelfire.com/az/garethknight/redcross/stow.html it states that one man had died at Kitebrook during it's time as a hospital. Do anyone know who this man was. I am currently doing some research into the men who died in the auxiliary hospitals with an attachment to the 3rd Southern General Hospital in Oxford, and have so-far had no luck tracking him down. 

Barry.

I cannot help with the name of the man who died but the death took place in 1917 or 1918 as the 1916 Gloucestershire Red Cross Report records no deaths up to the 31 Dec. 1916.

The total numbers admissions were 1037 with 480 admitted up to 31 Dec 1916. That leaves 557. In the database of admissions that I am compiling I don't have any information on any of these men I'm afraid and a quick search of the newspapers does not reveal anything either.

Dave

image.jpeg.c67e2d0b99ea579c5e3c3fbac5ba0766.jpeg

Dave,

thank you for your reply, I've had some success in the past finding men through the soldiers effects register, which sometimes gives an exact place of death, but unfortunately not on this occasion. 

Thanks again, 

Barry.

• 3 months later...

Good evening

I have recently come across this forum and as the current Headmaster of Kitebrook Preparatory School located in Kitebrook House. I am very interested in piecing together the history of the building and its connection both pre, during and post WWI. 

I note the date of some of these threads and recognise that some of the original contributors may have left the site, however, rather than begin to investigate the history of Kitebrook House, I wondered if any of the contributors would be willing to share any of their findings with me to help us begin our project on collating the history of Kitebrook House.

I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Kind regards

Welcome to the forum.

Findmypast has transcripts of the British Red Cross records for volunteers at Kitebrook. You can search by just usine 'Kitebrook' as a keyword.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?_page=3&o=lastname&d=asc&datasetname=british army%2c british red cross society volunteers 1914-1918&keywords=kitebrook&sid=103

If you don't have access to Findmypast then you can access the same records on the British Red Cross website;--

https://vad.redcross.org.uk/search?searchTerm=kitebrook&filter=Name

If you have problems with the red cross search you may have to enter the names individually. There are about 40, with some members named twice.

If you check dink999's post {about 3 before this one, with the list below {taken from the Red Cross records, you will have a good idea of who did what at Kitebrook during the great war.

Muriel

Arkell

Nursing Member

Susan Elizabeth

Arkell

Nursing Member

Lorna

Bailey Horsman

Nursing Member

Oxon

Mary Dutton

Bliss