Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 521 Pte/Sjt Arthur Fletcher

priv

I recall recently seeing the response from a Pal re a man in the Royal Warwicks, I was wondering if that same Pal could add anything further on this man. He entered France on 22nd August 1914, was entitled to Clasp and Rose and rose to the rank of Sargeant.

Many thanks in advance.......

James

Hi James

The Casualty List in the Birmingham Daily Post has him listed on two occasions.

11 June 1915 1st Bn Royal Warwicks

21 September 1916 (battalion not named, presumably still with the 1st Bn)

The actual dates of wounding would have been a week or so before they were listed in the paper.

Regards

Terry

Terry,

Many thanks for that info - I take it that this is definitely my man. Out of interest, where/how did you glean this - do you have the hard copy or is this info accesbile online ?

Many thanks - I picked up his 14 bar trio and Defence Medal the other week and will eventually try and see if his reocrds survived.

Many thanks for this most interesting and rapid response !

James

hello James

No the List I have was compiled a few years ago by Rob Williams who used to go to Birmingham Public Library every day during his lunch hour and write down the names and then enter them in his computor database. I was fortunate enough to have a print out off him.

Regards

Terry

Hello James,

It sounds like your man was with the 10th Brigade, 4th Division and arrived in Le Havre in the evening of the 22nd and disembarked in the early hours of the 23rd. The 1st RWR saw the worst of it from the start and I was surprised to see that he was reported as a casualty in September 1916. The division was en-route from the Menin Road area in Belgium to the Amiens region in France during that particular month and were not subject to enemy action. He may have been transferred to another battalion or was wounded late in August and not reported until September. Hope this helps.

Grahame

Grahame,

Many thanks fror that - I will have to investigate the medal rolls to see which Batallion he was with in September 1916. I will let you know what I discover.

James