Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification

joanbelge

Please can anyone identify this uniform ? It is photo that includes my Great Aunt who was born in 1891. She had an illegitimate child in 1916. On the back of the photo it says Elizabeth and Self taken outside the hut. We know very little about her and are trying to add to her story.

thank you 

Alma.jpg.eff8a134318b0b7cde67004303ce826f.jpg

I suspect the answer might lie in the diamond shaped cloth badge on the left arm.  My old eyes seem to pick up "WWS"   The uniform suggests industrial, perhaps catering?

Edited by TullochArd

Thank you

Can  you post the original image rather than a phone grab of the image on screen?

The experts will have  a better quality image to see rhe lettering.

Hello

I do not not have the original photo my cousin does. However he thinks the initials are WMS. He sent me the photo via Adobe and I don't know how to convert it to a different format

Thank you

Munitions?

Tony P

Thank you that's a good idea will try and follow that up

2 hours ago, joanbelge said:

Hello

I do not not have the original photo my cousin does. However he thinks the initials are WMS. He sent me the photo via Adobe and I don't know how to convert it to a different format

Thank you

Is that it on your screen as alma3 (1).pdf?

You can post the pdf as it is here.

In the same way that you dragged and dropped the jpg of your phone grab, just do the same for the original pdf.

Alma group.pdf

Thank you I hope thats worked

• Admin

I think it's MMS, though I'm none the wiser what that means. The ladies are wearing brooches, I thought any jewellery was strictly forbidden in munitions work owing to explosion risks. One has a frilly apron which looks non standard issue, judging by the others. 

Thank you both I agree it's MMS

From the style of their uniforms I think that they look like domestic servants.  Perhaps a Women's Welfare Service (WWS), or Military Welfare Service (MWS).  The appearance of lettering WWS and MMS seem very similar.  If someone can achieve a better scan then I believe it will confirm matters, one way, or another and I remain open minded.  They look to me like they are responsible for servicing the (probable) accommodation hut, or perhaps canteen, immediately behind them.  Such women did cooking, waitressing and cleaning in welfare facilities in Britain and France and Flanders.  If I recall correctly such facilities were run by a number of organisations including the Women's Auxiliary Force, Women's Legion, YMCA, Salvation Army and the Red Cross (British and American).  The uniforms that they wear are not typical of a munitions worker, but the overhead shift with pocket, et al. is very typical of a domestic servant.

Edited by FROGSMILE

This seems a more likely  answer as she was in domestic service in Cheltenham in 1911 and later in her life she was also in Domestic Service in London.

Thank you

Not munition workers. Nor any recognised woman's organisation. I suspect that they were factory workers (possibly in food production) with uniform provided by their civilian employers.

Thank you that is very interesting I've never come across the Almeric Paget Military Massage Corps before.

4 minutes ago, joanbelge said:

Thank you that is very interesting I've never come across the Almeric Paget Military Massage Corps before.

I believe your photo dates from post-January 1919 when the APMMC was disbanded and was replaced by the Military Massage Service.   Pete.

I am not surprised on the date as the lady in question had a child in 1916

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2021 at 13:49, joanbelge said:

I am not surprised on the date as the lady in question had a child in 1916

Joan that’s an incredibly rare photo of the military massage service uniform.  I haven’t been able to find another example online, just images of the predecessor, Almeric Paget unit with their distinctive winged badge.  I imagine that the medical services museum might be grateful to have a copy.

Edited by FROGSMILE