Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting Deborah the tank

KIRKY

Morning, anyone tell me when you can visit the tank this year, hopefully over there end on November.

Tony 

Hi Tony, I'm hoping to get over there in November as well but have no idea at this stage whether it will be possible. I would suggest contacting the tourist office in Cambrai to find out the latest status - but bear in mind it could change:

http://www.amazing-cambrai.com/visit-tank-deborah.html

All the best, John

Edited by johntaylor

1 hour ago, johntaylor said:

Hi Tonuy, I'm hoping to get over there in November as well but have no idea at this stage whether it will be possible. I would suggest contacting the tourist office in Cambrai to find out the latest status - but bear in mind it could change:

http://www.amazing-cambrai.com/visit-tank-deborah.html

All the best, John

Thanks John , enjoyed your book!

tony

Thanks Tony - I loved researching and writing it, and I'm so pleased that came across!

There are normally some events to mark the anniversary of the battle in November and I'll be hoping to go across this year, having missed out last time. But everything is so uncertain and we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, I'll hope to see you there!

All the best, John

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to email the address on the website but returned unknown? Anyone got another email address?

Tony

Hi Tony, Hi John,

Good to be back on GWF after more than 20 years of silence!

the “Cambrai Tank1917” is open :

1) from now to the 15th of September

Every Day

13.30 to 17.30

2) 16th of September to 30th of November

Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday

13.30 to 17.30

The annual ceremony organisés by the friends will be organisés by our group the “Friends of Deborah”on Saturday the 20th & Sunday the 21th of November 2021, in going that “COVID 21” will let us quiet!

The program will be soon on track.

Best for you

philippe

Great to have you back on GWF Philippe, and thanks for the update on museum opening.  I plan to be there for the annual ceremony in November if at all possible!

All the best, John

On 03/07/2021 at 09:44, Philippe Gorczynski said:

Hi Tony, Hi John,

Good to be back on GWF after more than 20 years of silence!

the “Cambrai Tank1917” is open :

1) from now to the 15th of September

Every Day

13.30 to 17.30

2) 16th of September to 30th of November

Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday

13.30 to 17.30

The annual ceremony organisés by the friends will be organisés by our group the “Friends of Deborah”on Saturday the 20th & Sunday the 21th of November 2021, in going that “COVID 21” will let us quiet!

The program will be soon on track.

Best for you

philippe

HI Philippe

thanks for your message, how do I book for 2 people?

tony

• 3 months later...

Hi Marco,

you are right. No need to book except for a group who want  a guide. 
actually the museum is open to the public  each Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from 13.30 to 17.30.

Hi John, as I am still breathing I can also provide some information! Like the last 23 years, each week end the closest of the 20th of November with my friends we managed a ceremony to the men who went over the top with the tanks. Nothing as changed this year!

Our annual ceremony “Feux de la Mémoire” will take place on Saturday the 20th of November at 18.00. The museum will be open for free for a visit just after the ceremony.

A lay of wreath is also planned at Louverval memorial the following day at 11.00

Kindest regards

philippe

image.png.4c94f368fcb8cb3923e18b6ea6c1a714.png

good morning,

Do you need the sanitary pass to participate in the ceremony as well as visit the museum?

thank you in advance for the answer.

Kind regards

michel (from France)

bonjour,

faut il le passe sanitaire pour participer à la cérémonie ainsi que visiter le musée?

merci par avance pour la réponse.

cordialement

michel (de France)

Edited by battle of loos

Dear Michel,

this is a good question! Pass is greatly recommended.  To go in the cemetery, mask, distanciation and no contact (hands’checking etc.) is requested.

Checking of the health pass will be done. I a sorry, no alternative to enter in the museum. 
autotest are not anymore valid since the 15th of October.
For the UK visitors, rules are a bit complicated. The QR code from NHS is not recognized with the app “TACverif” (TousAntiCovidVerification). I know it is complicated but people has to register in the  “TAC” (TousAntiCovid) and to coordinate the NHS code with the one of the TAC. It is better to make it before visiting France as the result doesn’t seems immediate. Without that document the visit in France  could become a nightmare! No restaurant, no museum, no bar, etc.).

Kindest regards

philippe

On 11/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, Philippe Gorczynski said:

Dear Michel,

this is a good question! Pass is greatly recommended.  To go in the cemetery, mask, distanciation and no contact (hands’checking etc.) is requested.

Checking of the health pass will be done. I a sorry, no alternative to enter in the museum. 
autotest are not anymore valid since the 15th of October.
For the UK visitors, rules are a bit complicated. The QR code from NHS is not recognized with the app “TACverif” (TousAntiCovidVerification). I know it is complicated but people has to register in the  “TAC” (TousAntiCovid) and to coordinate the NHS code with the one of the TAC. It is better to make it before visiting France as the result doesn’t seems immediate. Without that document the visit in France  could become a nightmare! No restaurant, no museum, no bar, etc.).

Kindest regards

philippe

thank's for your answer.

michel

On 05/11/2021 at 14:03, Philippe Gorczynski said:

We have just returned from France having used our NHS Covid Pass-for travel-with no trouble at all. Both a printed version-before we left-and a QR code on the mobile phone. It must have the second inoculation QR code!

George

A lovely time thank you around Mers-les-Bains and Le Treport

George

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note to thank Philippe and his friends in the Association du Tank de Flesquières for organising an unforgettable weekend to mark the anniversary of the Battle of Cambrai. Events were scaled down for obvious reasons, and there were only a few British people in attendance, but as always it was a very moving tribute to everyone who took part in the battles there in 1917 and 1918.

I've attached a few photos showing the initial gathering at the Monument des Nations, the larger ceremony on Saturday night with the 'Feux de la Mémoire', and the lights marking the graves of Deborah's crew. As usual there was a reception in the new museum housing Deborah, and a dinner in the local Salle des Fêtes.

It was great to see everyone again, and to know that you're continuing to honour their memory in this way.

John 

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

Excellent photos John, but then you are on a roll if you will pardon the unintended out of date 35mm pun; your picture of Lochnagar is superb.

Pete.

I agree, we should be very grateful to Philippe and his team of friends and supporters in France for commemorating the Battle of Cambrai in this way every year.  

Also many thanks for the comments about the photos.

John 

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

@Philippe Gorczynski will the museum be open next Thursday afternoon please? 
Thank you 

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your interest.

Yes, the museum is actually open every day from 1.30 to 5.30 pm.

i wish you a nice visit. I will try to be there if my work allow me to do it.

All the best

Philippe