Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The bombardment of Hartlepool 1914

Richie Rich

On a recent trip to the Warriors Gate M.O.T.H Museum in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, I found an interesting piece of militaria marked as being a shell splinter from a German Naval gun that bombarded Hartlepool in 1914. The two things that 'grabbed me', was firstly the date being the 16th Of December, which certainly resonates in this country's military journals. The 16th December reflects on the "Battle of Blood River" which took place on 16th December 1838 between the Voortrekkers and Zulus as well as the "Battle of El Wak" which took place on 16th December 1940 between the 1st S.A. Brigade and the Italian forces holding the town. The second thing that caught my eye was the fact that Hartlepool in England was bombarded during 1914. As a novice military enthusiast I was aware of the huge bombardments that ravaged the countrysides of France and Belgium, but I was very curious to learn more about this bombardment in England.  Turning to google, I now know that the coastal town of Hartlepool was bombarded on 16th December 1914 for over 40 minutes by two German warships which hurled over 1000 shells at this town which resulted in serious damages and 130 lost lives. I was surprised and I interpreted this as being the indiscriminate bombing of civilians especially given this era of warfare which would generally have kept the local population out of the war. How sadly history would repeat itself years later during the "Blitz". I have attached a pic for the forums information. 

IMG_0431.JPG.c31a11bd54b79eae3b4ba652d6e35dfa.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

Not just Hartlepool, but Scarborough and Whitby also! - the Imperial German navy were simply seeking opportunities to provoke British naval intervention, hoping to isolate and destroy small sections of the Grand Fleet in order to whittle away the British numerical advantage in ships, prior to the great battle that both sides believed would be an inevitable eventuality.

MB

Unbelievable. Thank you for your input. Appreciated. 

Have a read on Wikipedia, although other sites also have details

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Scarborough,_Hartlepool_and_Whitby

if you google

1914 east coast german shelling

you get plenty

Edited by jonbem

You might like to tell the Museum that Hartlepool, Whitby and Scarborough are in eastern (or even north-eastern) England, rather than southern England, so they can correct their label.

aim

4 hours ago, aim said:

You might like to tell the Museum that Hartlepool, Whitby and Scarborough are in eastern (or even north-eastern) England, rather than southern England, so they can correct their label.

aim

I wonder if that is a misplaced comma, There was two separate towns then, Hartlepool & West Hartlepool. They were known collectively as "Hartlepools". At least Hartlepool managed to return fire! http://www.heughbattery.co.uk/

Anthony

Noted on the incorrect part of England...thank you. I did see that when I googled ......:D

2 hours ago, Richie Rich said:

Noted on the incorrect part of England...thank you. I did see that when I googled ......:D

No.

What anthw wrote is correct.

The engraved plaque correctly states the fragment was from 'German Bombardment Hartlepools'.

There is no mention of 'England'.

Whoever wrote the handwritten card has tried to be helpful, interpreting it as 'Hartlepool, S' , inserted a superfluous 'England' and getting it all wrong, making it appear that Hartlepool lies in 'S. England'.

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Whoever wrote the handwritten card has tried to be helpful, interpreting it as 'Hartlepool, S' , inserted a superfluous 'England' and getting it all wrong, making it appear that Hartlepool lies in 'S. England'.

If they hadn't sorted the earlier issue with the monkey they might have ended up in France! :whistle:

1 minute ago, jonbem said:

If they hadn't sorted the earlier issue with the monkey they might have ended up in France! :whistle:

'There but for the grace of God...'

• 2 months later...

my interests are mainly the 1916 Easter Rising bombardments in Dublin (and the related bombardment of Lowestoft) but I'm also collecting the souvenir photo albums (and later books) from the bombardment of Scarborough, Whitby and the Hartlepools.

The Dublin and Hartlepools booklets are replica prints at the moment.

On 26th January 2022, there is an online session re "Civil Defence in the FWW" run by the Royal Armouries that may be of interest. I believe this will touch on the bombardments of Scarborough etc as well air raids on the UK 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lecture-civil-defence-in-the-first-world-war-tickets-168622162427

bombardment.jpg.51a25f2c88590c03580e6d93d1e4c45f.jpg

Enlist.jpg

Miller.jpg