Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur McCormack 5th Battalion Connaught Rangers ( BORN Athlone co. Westmeath Ireland)

cyril

Hi I'm looking to get information about my great Grandfather and i dont know where to start, I have got his Medal records (thanks to this forum). Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out as much information as possible. 

Thanks

Cyril

Hi and welcome to the forum

Lots of hints for research on Long Long Trail tab at top of the page

image.png.389e7349dd90ae13160b4f369b6e4ee2.png

regards

Jon

I'm presuming this chap, on Ancestry

MIC

UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

15 Star

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

BWM & VM

Name: Arthur McCormack
Military Year: 1914-1920
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: The Connaught Rangers
Regiment Number: 5667
Medal Awarded:

British War Medal and Victory Medal

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

I'm presuming this chap, on Ancestry

MIC

UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

15 Star

BWM & VM

Name: Arthur McCormack
Military Year: 1914-1920
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: The Connaught Rangers
Regiment Number: 5667
Medal Awarded:

British War Medal and Victory Medal

Yes that's him, just trying to find out more information, maybe his discharge papers etc, just wondering how to look these up, thanks a million

Did he have a brother Thomas also in the Connaught Rangers?

Edited by museumtom

He had a brother Thomas but not sure he was in army, I’ve only started research on family and I’ve to find someone within family who knows more, I don’t live near family and don’t even know the family so it’s difficult. I see that a thomas died in Gallipoli so I need to research more, thanks for the comment.

Edited by cyril

Arthur McCORMACK, 5667, Connaught Rangers

WFA/Fold3 have two claims:

Pension Index Card in Region 13 [Ireland] - for a Disability [unspecified]: Discharged 19.3.19.  Got 13/9 [pw] from 20/3/19 to 2/9/19

Then a Widow's claim: Catherine McCormack, Cloughenboy [? - poss. Cloghanboy?], Athlone it seems c. 25/8/36

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
poss.

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Arthur McCORMACK, 5667, Connaught Rangers

WFA/Fold3 have two claims:

Pension Index Card in Region 13 [Ireland] - for a Disability [unspecified]: Discharged 19.3.19.  Got 13/9 [pw] from 20/3/19 to 2/9/19

Then a Widow's claim: Catherine McCormack, Cloughenboy [?], Athlone it seems c. 25/8/36

this is great, catherine was his wife, thanks very much I appreciate this, he died june 1936

This is his death

death-mccormack.JPG.cf678be2e1e130409cb10ca99be8afd3.JPG

38 minutes ago, cyril said:

I see that a thomas died in Gallipoli so I need to research more, thanks for the comment.

Thomas McCORMACK, 608, Connaught Rangers https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/690770/THOMAS McCORMACK

WFA/Fold3 pension cards have a dependant's claim by his mother, Margaret McCormack, Wolf Tone Terrace, Athlone - got about 12/- [pw] then reduced to 8/- [and independent investment of 4/-] and then 6/8 - independent investment also noted to/at 27/4/25 - pension administration notes continue to 1927

Does this help connect the lads?

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thomas McCORMACK, 608, Connaught Rangers https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/690770/THOMAS McCORMACK

WFA/Fold3 pension cards have a dependant's claim by his mother, Margaret McCormack, Wolf Tone Terrace, Athlone - got about 12/- [pw] then reduced to 8/- [and independent investment of 4/-] and then 6/8 - independent investment also noted to/at 27/4/25 - pension administration notes continue to 1927

Does this help connect the lads?

Oh thank you so much for this, thank you thank you

Just now, cyril said:

Oh thank you so much for this, thank you thank you

Does this link them?

Just now, Matlock1418 said:

Does this link them?

Absolutley, his mothers name was Margeret and they lived in wolfe tone terrace....

Thomas McCORMACK, 608, Connaught Rangers

Another pension card at WFA/Fold3

Widow: Helena [as first claimant] and Margaret [as second]

13 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thomas McCORMACK, 608, Connaught Rangers

Another pension card at WFA/Fold3

Widow: Helena [as first claimant] and Margaret [as second]

This is good as I dont have a wife so something else to look at

2424242424    McCormack    ,     Thomas    .     (Westmeath).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service:    Connaught Rangers    .     Unit:    5th Battalion    .     Ser No:    608    .     Date of death;-    22/08/1915    .     Age:        .     Born:    Athlone, County Westmeath    .     Enlisted:    Galway    .     Residence:    Athlone, County Westmeath.    .     Death:    Killed in Action in Gallipoli.     .     Next of kin, etc:    He is remembered in the ‘Roll of Honour’ (not all of whom died) in the Westmeath Independent, January, 1916. He is remembered in the ‘Roll of Honour’ (not all of whom died) in the Westmeath Independent, January, 1916. Next of kin listed as Mrs Margaret McCormack, Wolfe Tone Terrace.     .     Newspapers/Books etc:    Westmeath Independent, January, 1916.Killed in Action.Mr Tom McCormack.  It was with sincere regret that his many friends learned on Sunday last of the death at the front of Private Thomas McCormack, who for many years was a popular member of the Brass and Reed Band, and also of the United Football Club. Before the war he was employed in the Athlone Woolen Mills and joined at the first mobilisation. He was one of over a dozen of the members of the Band who joined the colours. He was a native of Glasses Lane, and much sympathy is felt with his bereaved widow and child in their great loss. In St Mary’s Church on Sunday, at each of the Masses, the prayers of the congregation were asked for the repose of his soul.    ***    There is an image with the following article in the Evening Herald. 03/02/1916. Private Thomas McCormack (608), 5th Battalion, Connaught Rangers, wounded and missing since an engagement on August 22nd, 1915. His wife would be thankful for any information concerning him through the Editor “Evening Herald.”    ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***    Notes-         .     Grave/Memorial:    Panel 181 to 183     .     Cemetery;-    Helles Memorial, Turkey.    .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Athlone_East_Urban/Wolfe_Tone_Terrace/876184/

image.png.7ed779ca91efb5711bb608d59f6125a7.png

Westmeath Independent, January, 1916.

The Roll of Honour.

(Parts of the page are missing. It is an awards list of 160 serving (Athlone?) soldiers and their dependents. The first eight had been killed by this time (January-1916), others died later on in the campaign, (W) means wounded).....1)         Thomas McCormack, 5th C.R……………80)       Thomas McCormack, Pte, 7th C.R…………………..Mrs Margaret McCormack, Wolfe Tone Terrace. ....152)     Arthur McCormack, Pte, 5th C.R……………Mrs Kate McCormack, Scotch Parade.

image.png.0dc9b79e7fc7ae8ba094ef9d5cb0919e.png

Westmeath Independent, March, 1917.

From Canada.

Christopher McCormack, a native of Glasson Lane, Athlone, came from Canada to rejoin. He spent some ten months in France when he was invalided out of the Army. He came home and got married in Clara, afterwards working in the Athlone Woolen Mills. He left Athlone on Jan, 26th, to work in His Majestys Factory at Gretna, and he is now stated to be in France.

2 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Westmeath Independent, March, 1917.

From Canada.

Christopher McCormack, a native of Glasson Lane, Athlone, came from Canada to rejoin. He spent some ten months in France when he was invalided out of the Army. He came home and got married in Clara, afterwards working in the Athlone Woolen Mills. He left Athlone on Jan, 26th, to work in His Majestys Factory at Gretna, and he is now stated to be in France.

Yes this would be another brother if my great grandad Thanks

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

2424242424    McCormack    ,     Thomas    .     (Westmeath).     Rank-     Private    .     Regiment/Service:    Connaught Rangers    .     Unit:    5th Battalion    .     Ser No:    608    .     Date of death;-    22/08/1915    .     Age:        .     Born:    Athlone, County Westmeath    .     Enlisted:    Galway    .     Residence:    Athlone, County Westmeath.    .     Death:    Killed in Action in Gallipoli.     .     Next of kin, etc:    He is remembered in the ‘Roll of Honour’ (not all of whom died) in the Westmeath Independent, January, 1916. He is remembered in the ‘Roll of Honour’ (not all of whom died) in the Westmeath Independent, January, 1916. Next of kin listed as Mrs Margaret McCormack, Wolfe Tone Terrace.     .     Newspapers/Books etc:    Westmeath Independent, January, 1916.Killed in Action.Mr Tom McCormack.  It was with sincere regret that his many friends learned on Sunday last of the death at the front of Private Thomas McCormack, who for many years was a popular member of the Brass and Reed Band, and also of the United Football Club. Before the war he was employed in the Athlone Woolen Mills and joined at the first mobilisation. He was one of over a dozen of the members of the Band who joined the colours. He was a native of Glasses Lane, and much sympathy is felt with his bereaved widow and child in their great loss. In St Mary’s Church on Sunday, at each of the Masses, the prayers of the congregation were asked for the repose of his soul.    ***    There is an image with the following article in the Evening Herald. 03/02/1916. Private Thomas McCormack (608), 5th Battalion, Connaught Rangers, wounded and missing since an engagement on August 22nd, 1915. His wife would be thankful for any information concerning him through the Editor “Evening Herald.”    ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***        ***    Notes-         .     Grave/Memorial:    Panel 181 to 183     .     Cemetery;-    Helles Memorial, Turkey.    .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Athlone_East_Urban/Wolfe_Tone_Terrace/876184/

image.png.7ed779ca91efb5711bb608d59f6125a7.pngimage.png.884a6aaed709238174652fd77dd40b62.png

The Roll of Honour.

(Parts of the page are missing. It is an awards list of 160 serving (Athlone?) soldiers and their dependents. The first eight had been killed by this time (January-1916), others died later on in the campaign, (W) means wounded).....1)         Thomas McCormack, 5th C.R……………80)       Thomas McCormack, Pte, 7th C.R…………………..Mrs Margaret McCormack, Wolfe Tone Terrace. ....152)     Arthur McCormack, Pte, 5th C.R……………Mrs Kate McCormack, Scotch Parade.image.png.0dc9b79e7fc7ae8ba094ef9d5cb0919e.png

Thanks so much tom

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

image.png.7ed779ca91efb5711bb608d59f6125a7.pngimage.png.884a6aaed709238174652fd77dd40b62.png

The Roll of Honour.

(Parts of the page are missing. It is an awards list of 160 serving (Athlone?) soldiers and their dependents. The first eight had been killed by this time (January-1916), others died later on in the campaign, (W) means wounded).....1)         Thomas McCormack, 5th C.R……………80)       Thomas McCormack, Pte, 7th C.R…………………..Mrs Margaret McCormack, Wolfe Tone Terrace. ....152)     Arthur McCormack, Pte, 5th C.R……………Mrs Kate McCormack, Scotch Parade.image.png.0dc9b79e7fc7ae8ba094ef9d5cb0919e.png

Thanks so much

No bother, happy to help. According to the newspaper his brother Christopher came over from Canada to join also.

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

No bother, happy to help. According to the newspaper his brother Christopher came over from Canada to join also.

Yeah just seen that,

50 minutes ago, museumtom said:

From Canada.

Christopher McCormack, a native of Glasson Lane, Athlone, came from Canada to rejoin.

Cyril / all,

Christopher McCormack

If we can clarify his service number - then I think some more interesting, and some less common, info may perhaps yet flow.

Won't show just yet lest I muddy the waters with a wrong offering.

= Does KilcormacKing's County [County Offaly?] after the war offer any links to your family's Christopher McCormack?

Edited by Matlock1418
Kilcormac

Just now, Matlock1418 said:

Cyril / all,

Christopher McCormack

If we can clarify his service number - then I think some more interesting, and some less common, info may perhaps yet flow.

Won't show just yet lest I muddy the waters with a wrong offering.

= Does King's County after the war offer any links to your family's Christopher McCormack?

Not yet as i know nothing of christopher only that he was born in 1892 thats all i have

1 minute ago, cyril said:

Not yet as i know nothing of christopher only that he was born in 1892 thats all i have

Have just tweaked my post above to offer a bit more of a 'clue' as to place Kilcormac, King's County [County Offaly?]

If it works then easy to get back