Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BRCS Standard Ambulance

Alastair the prof

My name is Alastair and this is my first post on this forum.

I spent all my working life in the defence industry and, among other hobbies, I restored old cars for my own pleasure.

Now that I am retired I have turned my attention to a 1911 Renault chassis that I have had for some years.  I believe it to have been a commercial vehicle although I have no remnants of the body other than the brackets that hold the driver's floor board.  My intention is to restore it as a WWI ambulance.  I am aware that in the early months of WWI some car owners had ambulance bodies fitted at their own expense and gave them to the ASC sometimes supplying the driver as well.

This caused the ASC some problems with maintenance so there was a drive to standardise the design.  Consequently the RAC brought out a specification drawn up by the British Red Cross.  I have a copy of this specification but, unfortunately the diagrams have been copied in low resolution so that the fine detail cannot be read.  I attach one of the diagrams for information.

Has anybody got an original copy of the specification and would they be able to copy the diagrams in high resolution for me please.

Kind regards,

Alastair 

198716401_PLAN2copy.png.e521ed9fdb9a445c161345883bb91e11.png

• 1 month later...

Alastair,

The plans you have are included in the following book on page 761. The next page includes enlarged detail of items A-E shown on your plan. The book is about A4 size and the text is very small, so the original drawing must be much bigger. The text can just be read with a good magnifier. The book is paperback and too thick to put in my scanner, otherwise I would try to copy it for you.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/VOLUNTARY-RENDERED-WOUNDED-PRISONERS-1914-1919/dp/1847349269/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=reports+by+the+joint+war+committee&qid=1628341679&s=books&sr=1-16     You may be able to get it elsewhere.

It is quite an expensive book, but is full of detail. As well as the plans there are 3 pages of written specifications for all parts, which is probably what you already have.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Alastair,

That sounds like an interesting project; good luck, I hope you achieve your aims and are willing to post pictures of the finished ambulance.

Thank you Alf MCM.  I have ordered a copy.  Even if the detail is difficult to read I think the book will include all sorts of peripheral information.  Thank you also for the pictures.

Since I made my first post, I have found out that I was only partly correct.  The RAC commissioned their own design prior to the BRC publishing the official one.  I have included a copy of the RAC article kindly provided to me by their historical branch.

The project is progressing at a snail's pace at present as I now find myself in full time care of my wife.  However, the pipe dream remains and research continues, and I do sneak down to the garage for the odd half hour now and then just to "keep my nose wet".

RAC 191 p159 copy.jpg

RAC 191 p158.jpg

Alastair,

I think you will enjoy the book. One of the chapters describes the specification for Hospital Trains in detail. It was noted for the Staff Car [carriage] for Nurses and Medical Officers that a 'Supply of ashtrays to be provided in Medical Officers compartment'. [but not apparently in Nurses compartment]. There is also a specification and drawing for a 40' Red Cross Ambulance Motor Launch for Mesopotamia.

The photographs you mentioned above were actually posted by morrisc8. They are very nice.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you, Morris C8 for the photographs.  The last one is most promising as it is a Renault.  In addition it is on single rear wheels like mine will be.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the book has arrived.  It would be easy to write it off as a bureaucratic exercise in producing a final report.  However it is fascinating and will be a valuable source for all sorts of research.  And, yes, it does include the specification for the ambulance.  One of my worries has been how to get an 8ft stretcher into the rear without having a ridiculous overhang.  I was at Beaulieu this week end and picked up a copy of the Shire Books volume on ambulances.  They say that the popular Model T ambulance had this problem.  The solution was to make pockets in the rear curtain to contain the stretcher handles.  This will save about a foot.  Bingo!

• 3 months later...

Well I am slowly back on the project having been diverted on preparing vehicles for my brothers and me to go to Normandy this year.  Morisc8, you ight be interested to know one of them is a 1940 Morris CS8.  I am doing the engine while my brother, the owner is doing the rest.

As to the drawing that kicked off this thread, I have twice contacted the Red Cross in the hope that they have the original full sized drawing in their archives but, so far, they have not replied.