Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kentish Mercury and Lewisham Journal Lookups

jacks

Hello

I have compiled a list of men who are mentioned in the Kentish Mercury and Lewisham Journal/Lewisham Borough News between 1914-1919. The areas include Lewisham, Deptford, New Cross, Greenwich, Blackheath, Lee, Brockley, Catford, Hither Green, Forest Hill, Sydenham and Grove Park. The articles/photos are varied, they include names of school pupils and workers from the local area who have enlisted. There are quite a few articles/photos of the 20th Battalion London Regiment and of the West Kent Lewisham Battalion. Also details of local memorials and military funerals and patients at the Herbert Hospital.

If anyone would like me to check these for articles/photos please let me know.

Hi Jacks,

Thanks for the offer. We've conversed a few years back when you kindly looked up some men from the 11th Lewisham Battalion of the Royal West Kent's for me.

Would you have anything on a Henry Baden Sims? He was killed on the 1st June 1916. He may be recorded under his step-fathers surname of Dadd who lived in the Blackheath area.

He'd lied about his age upon enlistment and was a few weeks shy of his 16th birthday when killed.

Many thanks

Stuart.

Thank you Jackie.

I have another if you dont mind?

Pte Jim Demsey G/8536 from Sydenham who was originally with the 11th but was killed with the 10th Btn on the 29th September 1918.

Thanks again,

Stuart.

Hello Stuart

The only reference to him is on 9 July 1915 when the newspaper listed the names of the men who had enlisted into the Lewisham Battalion. It gave his address as 8 Miall Road, Sydenham.

I hope this helps

Jackie

Thanks Jackie,

Thats the only information I had. I'm trying to track down a number of men who were either transferred to various battalions within the Royal West Kent's after the 11th's disbandment in March 1918 or to a different regiment altogether.

Will be in touch soon if that's ok,

Stuart.

Hi Jackie,

I have another couple if you dont mind?

Herbert Henry Parfitt G/9203 of Adrgowan Rd, Catford. He enlisted underage in 1915 and went overseas with the 11th. At some point he transferred to the 9th Essex Regiment 252369 and was killed on the 30th August 1918 age 20.

The other is Sgt Victor Ernest Griffiths G/8017 from Lee. He was attached to the Anson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division when he was killed on the 25th August 1918.

Thanks again

Stuart.

Longboat,

Are you aware that Herbert Henry Parfitt is named on the war memorial at St Andrew's Church on Sandhurst Rd, Catford? This church is a short walk from Ardgowan Rd. When I did some  research into this memorial the only information I could find on him was:

Parfitt, Herbert H.

Lance Corporal Herbert Henry Parfitt, 9th Battalion, Essex Regiment, died of wounds on the 30th August 1918, aged 20. He was the son of Henry and Caroline Parfitt of 141 Ardgowan Road, Catford. He was educated at Hazelbank Road School and initially enlisted into the 11th Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment in July 1915, before transferring to the Essex Regiment. He is buried in Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport, France.

I suspect that you already have this information.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

20 hours ago, kloughnane said:

Longboat,

Are you aware that Herbert Henry Parfitt is named on the war memorial at St Andrew's Church on Sandhurst Rd, Catford? This church is a short walk from Ardgowan Rd. When I did some  research into this memorial the only information I could find on him was:

Parfitt, Herbert H.

Lance Corporal Herbert Henry Parfitt, 9th Battalion, Essex Regiment, died of wounds on the 30th August 1918, aged 20. He was the son of Henry and Caroline Parfitt of 141 Ardgowan Road, Catford. He was educated at Hazelbank Road School and initially enlisted into the 11th Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment in July 1915, before transferring to the Essex Regiment. He is buried in Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport, France.

I suspect that you already have this information.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Thanks for your input Kev. I do have the info and I can add that his birth date was 28th April 1898 and he enlisted in the last week of July 1915 when he was 17.

I'm hoping the newspapers may give a clue to his transfer to the Essex Regiment and whether it was from wounds, sickness, the battalions disbandment or some other cause.

All the best

Stuart

Stuart,

Thank you for the additional information - it is much appreciated. I did search the local newspapers at the Lewisham Archives and History Section and that was all I could find. However, I must admit that my attention span isn't good and my eyesight is even worse!! So I hope that jacks has been more successful and is able to provide some more?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane  

Just a public thank you to Jacks for the information regarding Sgt Victor E Griffiths. Much appreciated.

Stuart.

In 2018 a booklet was published about all the men who died in the memorial at All Saints Blackheath.

Edited by JulianB